Menu

Packages not arriving

I have had 3 people now email me about books I have shipped that didn't arrive. I have never had trouble before and now 3 in the same time period can't be coincidence? One I did buy DC but I can't find the skip and the other two I didn't buy it :(. I am 99.99% sure I mailed the right packages to the right people ( now I am doubting myself lol) . Plus wouldn't someone email me if they got the wrong thing or somethign they didn't buy?

What do I do now? I am going to my PO tomorrow to see what they can do but it just seems odd to have all 3 disapear at once.

I am currently missing three packages from three separate sellers. None of them have ever had this happen either! One initiated a search, one offered to repay (the sum was small) and one is ignoring my e-mails. I think something must be really wrong with the PO right now. Insurance might become a "must" :confused:

Best of luck on those missing packages....

Did you send them via media mail? I've had that take a long time. It is possible they got set aside and forgotten. I use paperbackswap and from what I've read media mail is lowest priority mail.

It seems to go in spurts with our post office. Sometimes I get them quickly, sometimes it takes over 3 weeks.

One has been over 6 weeks I think and she was in MO and I am in AR so it shouldn't take that long. However, there was one tornado that did damage in MO after that so I wonder if that is part of it? All the packages were media mail.

I am going to start buying DC on every package no matter how small the purchase.

I purchased a curriculum worth $80, didn't insure it (duh) and it has not shown up. The person I purchased it from said she sent the package media mail, the week of May 16. I personally have mailed a number of parcels media mail, after that date, and the purchasers received them in 1 week - 10 days. I have contacted USPS via e-mail and I doesn't appear there is too much they can do, but they have asked me to obtain info from the vendor on the post office location, date, time, receipt #, etc. So far, I haven't heard back from the vendor, so I don't know if there is much hope of me ever seeing this material. :crying: Do you think that USPS has a big pile of homeschool curriculum sitting somewhere??:eek:

My DH mails 5,000 packages of books each year. Media mail has been very slow a bunch of times. Once it took 90 days for a package to get from Mass to Iowa. A few weeks ago, it took 17 days for a media mail package to get to its destination, 5 miles from DH's office.

It is not unusual for it to take 30 days or more for a media mail package to get to its destination.

Since DH started getting delivery confirmation for every package, in general the deliveries have been made in a more timely manner. Packages are still lost and sometimes misdelivered or delivered very late, however.

We are in Indiana, with flooding just blocks from our house. (Fortunately our levy is holding, and there isn't much chance we'll flood). BUT, I was at the PO yesterday and their computers were down. The lady working said that all post office's in Indiana are down right now. I know your package wasn't mailed at the time of the flooding, but flooding might be slowing it down.

For big purchases I'll pay for DC, but with small ones, I haven't been. Maybe I need to change that . . .:)

Fortunately, everyone I've bought from has been easy to deal with and I've gotten everything that I've bought. I've only bought off these boards though, so I wouldn't expect less! :)

Sorry to hear your troubles Quiverof10! I've bought from you before and KNOW your reputable. It's a bummer you have to go through this!

~hugs~ :grouphug:

I sent two separate packages on the same day about a month ago, and because the value of each of them was $50 on one and $100 on the other, I did get delivery confirmation. My buyers did get their packages but both were missing items.

The smallest package was missing about 4 out of 9 items that were inside. The second package was a large box of about 50+ children's I Can Read hardback books and other children's books. This box had been opened and resealed by USPS with ONLY 2 BOOKS INSIDE!!!

Unfortunately, having delivery confirmation didn't hold any weight with USPS because they "delivered" the package. The only way to have any true recourse is to insure packages----a lesson that my purchaser and I have learned the hard way.

I've started asking my purchasers if they wish to pay to have their packages insured. I don't want to go through the frustration and heartbreak of losing items like this ever again without having a way to make it good for the buyer. In this circumstance, she and I have both filed complaints with USPS and they are still looking for the books in their recovery center. I hope they are able to locate at least some of them.

I really don't see the usefulness of having delivery confirmation if the USPS can bang up a package, reseal it, and be off the hook when it's delivered. I know that if they package arrives undamaged, that you have proof of delivery, but that's just not helped me in my situation.

I really think that USPS needs a shake-up of some sort to fix some of these problems. I've also been on the receiving end of lost packages, delayed packaged, damaged packages. What's up with them?

Good luck to you on finding your packages delivered---soon and in good shape, I hope.

Lisa

I recently sold to someone, and it took nearly a month for the package to arrive to her. I had offered to reimburse her if she didn't get it within a month or so. It was just one book. Now, I do use delivery confirmation, but I can see from some comments here that even that isn't worth much. With insurance, I have also heard that you need to present proof to the post office regarding what the value of the stuff you sent is--like a receipt. I've heard it's pretty tricky to get them to reimburse you. I definitely need to look into it more. Is it cheaper to send via UPS or other carriers? I imagine it's got to be more reliable than media mail. Media Mail has gone up quite a bit it seems.

Anita

I shipped probably 20 or so items in May, and they all got there. In all but one case though, I used Paypal shipping because I've found in the past that the ones with the pre-printed labels are more likely to get there than ones I take to the Post Office. I always pay for insurance for any item over $20, and if I have to go to the Post Office, I pay for tracking and insurance. For homeschool swap boards, I only take Paypal unless it's something that I've had trouble selling. Then I'll take a money order if they ask.

Sorry that this has happened to you! An item I paid $5 for with a money order never arrived, and I decided just to call it a loss for myself, but three packages is a lot.

This happened to me too!! I mailed out a bunch of packages a couple months ago. The only person who requested insurance had the package get lost. Luckily she's been very patient and she initiated the claims process and it should be taken care of very soon.

This is the only package I've had get lost. Weird - but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one too.

UGH.

I have a person waiting for something i mailed May 27 - i have 3 packages on the recpt, and the other 2 have arrived - and were going further than this one (one was FL->OR!).

My missing one is going to MD. Anyone else waiting for there? Maybe its a regional issue?

I don't have a problem refunding her the $$ - but i feel so bad if it doesn't get there because she was so excited to see i had it for sale! LOL, probably the most excited buyer.

This was also the trip to the PO that i had cash in my pocket and no debit card and didn't have enough to cover delivery confirmation either :(

(if you are reading this and want a copy of the recpt let me know).

Okay, after reading all of these, I am really scared!!!:eek: I am waiting on 3 pkgs myself, and one I sent someone hasn't gotten to her either! What is it w/ the PO??? My only saving grace is that I was smart and insured ONE of the packages, but still. From now on, I am insuring all. The one pkg had curriculum that I have been waiting to start ASAP.

Great.

Good luck to you all.

I really think that USPS needs a shake-up of some sort to fix some of these problems. I've also been on the receiving end of lost packages, delayed packaged, damaged packages. What's up with them?

It's called privatization! Privatize it! A private company would not lose things like a government run one will! My 2 cents!

:D

I purchased a book from someone on this board last year. The book was sent media mail. While everyone else was posting they received theirs within 4 weeks, mine took over 8 weeks to arrive. I have no idea why it took so long. The postmark even showed she shipped it with the others. I just think the Post Office is having issues right now.

Another option for sending items is the flat rate priority box. I think they are around 10.00 to mail. Well, here's the link.

http://www.usps.com/shipping/flatrate.htm?from=priority&page=flatrate

The post office retains the "right" to inspect media mail packages.

Yes, they are around $10, $9.80 to be exact. I sent one a couple of weeks ago. Actually, it is a pretty big box and you can fill it to the brim. I think it is worth it if you are sending something bulky or heavy. I sent it half way across the states and the buyer got it within 3 days.

I think media mail just gets overlooked, since it isn't priority. And, I'm sure, like in any profession, you have people with attitudes who really don't like their job and aren't taking "care" of what we're sending.

Alls I have to say after living in Asia for 10 years, we've had pretty good luck with the po! :)

For some reason I have been thinking of getting Del. Conf. for two packages I'm sending out today. Wonder if I should get insurance?

I've sent out a LOT of packages in the last couple of months, and ALL have arrived at their destinations safely! But I'm getting concerned about it, and was thinking of dc, then I saw this thread.

Is insurance any safer? I know it costs more.....

For some reason I have been thinking of getting Del. Conf. for two packages I'm sending out today. Wonder if I should get insurance?

I've sent out a LOT of packages in the last couple of months, and ALL have arrived at their destinations safely! But I'm getting concerned about it, and was thinking of dc, then I saw this thread.

Is insurance any safer? I know it costs more.....

If you want to be reimbursed for lost items, insurance is the way to go. BUT you have to prove the value of the items you are shipping, is what my understanding is. So, you will need receipts showing how much the items cost. Ask the PO worker about it, and they'll tell you what is required.

I sent a teaching textbooks set earlier this year that was valued at $150. I got insurance, but wouldn't have been able to "prove" that value since I had bought it used and didn't have the original receipt for it. I had thougt in my mind just printing the price I bought it for off my paypal account, but did not get confirmation if that would be acceptable or not. It may! :) Did I just confuse you more? :)

I had a package lost, and another BADLY damaged by USPS. I had a media mail package inspected this week too:001_huh: It too about 2 wks to get to me.

I bet the bad weather in the midwest could be keeping your package held up. Even if it's not going to or leaving from those areas, postal routes are weird.

I've sent packages media and had the buyer tell me that books were missing and the envelopes had been slashed open and taped closed. I always insure now or even send UPS if it's expensive. It's a cost to me, but I don't have that worry on my shoulders anymore.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Explain the situation and ask them if they are willing to wait a few more weeks. I'm sure the weather has created some of these problems.

I haven't trusted the USPS since they lost some of my mail - that I sent out FROM the post office - almost 7 years ago now. Having to go to the bank to have a stop check issued so you can get the Department of Revenue to reimburse the penalties and interest that have accrued for your apparent "non-payment" sticks with you! The only reason I use them for shipping items I sell is because there is no where to drop off UPS or FedEx packages where we live.

Within the past year dh was talking with a couple that used to haul mail for the USPS. They said to NEVER mail anything via USPS if it was important. They'd seen first hand how little care is given not only to packages, but envelopes as well. They told a story about how there's apparently some type of net that sets below where the end of the dock and the trailer meet, to catch anything that might fall. One particular time they were delivering, several envelopes fell into it, and when they asked the worker if they intended to retrieve them, the worker made it clear they had no intention of doing so, and that someone would eventually clean it out. They knew of instances where it was literally months before those nets were cleared out!