Menu

Cookware sets

So, it's been YEARS since I've purchased new cookware and what I've been using was given to us when we got married, but is pretty poor quality. DH finally told me that I could get some new pots and pans with part of our tax refund, but I didn't have a large budget as we have many more important things to take care of financially. I shopped around and finally decided on a Paula Deen porcelain set. I got a pretty good deal on Amazon, and it arrived today. Upon opening it, I discovered that I'm not supposed to use the porcelain enamel covered pots on my glass top stove because if they overheat they can fuse to the stove surface. :glare: Now, I'm boxing everything back up to return it, but I need suggestions for some good, but not super expensive cookware. I've got around $100, maybe a little more to spend.

My copper-clad Revere stainless stockpot is still going strong after 13 years and does fine on my flat-top stove. My Farberware stainless is also in good shape, but some of the handles have come off.

I almost always cook with cast iron, the plain kind, not the enamled kind. I use it for everything and would highly recommend it.

I have a tools of the trade set that has 80/10 stainless steel. They're great, weren't expensive, and can take a beating. Here is a similar set. It looks like you could pop it in the oven, too.

I have had the same stuff for 20 years, and it is still going strong. Love it. Great value.

I have slowly added Le Creuset piece by piece, but the Tools of the Trade set is my foundation.

I have a tools of the trade set that has 80/10 stainless steel. They're great, weren't expensive, and can take a beating. Here is a similar set. It looks like you could pop it in the oven, too.

Same here too. We got ours 12 years ago as wedding gifts and they still look practically new. They were the Belgique of the time. The Belgique set now looks slightly different, but WOW! What a great price at Macy's! And there are more components now too. I almost wish I needed a new set :lol:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/tools-of-the-trade-cookware-belgique-stainless-steel-14-piece-set?ID=452549&CategoryID=29088#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D28%26ruleId%3D54%26slotId%3D6

I do have an extra, high-quality heavy bottomed pot (also bought at Macy's) and one medium-sized cast-iron skillet. I have never felt the need for any Le Creuset or dutch ovens or any of the other extra stuff. Everything I've ever cooked, I've made in my Tools of the Trade, and I've never had a problem with any of it or needed something it couldn't provide. (You would have to pry my Pampered Chef stoneware out of my cold, dead hands though :angry: :lol:)

HTH!

I have two rachael ray sets--stainless and nonstick

really like the stainless better than the non stick....

my stainless set is like the link below except I don't

have the huge stock pot

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Rachael-Ray-Stainless-Steel-10-piece-Cookware-Set/5093517/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&kw={keyword}&adtype=pla

http://www.ginnys.com/Rachael-Ray-Hard-Anodized-Nonstick-Cookware-10-Pc-Set.pro?omSource=SLI

for my cake pans I have a few nordicware and love them!

Edited by SweetMissMagnolia

If you don't mind non-stick, and don't mind buying pieces rather than one big set, I recently found NordicWare and LOVE it. It is made in the USA, which is hard to find these days, and is very good quality. So far I've only got 2 pieces but will slowly be replacing all my cookware with this brand.

It's also made in eco-friendly methods, which is yet another bonus.

I bought a set of stainless steel Cuisinart pans a few years ago. I love them! The pans are heavy without being unwieldy, durable, and scrub up nicely. They work well on my glass top stove, and they would fit into your price range. I bought this set and this pan from Amazon.

We just bought a new glass top stove around Thanksgiving. My DH bought me this same set for Christmas. I like them "OK"...but I really miss my gas stove and my cast iron cookware.

We just bought a new glass top stove around Thanksgiving. My DH bought me this same set for Christmas. I like them "OK"...but I really miss my gas stove and my cast iron cookware.

I wish I had a gas stove. We moved about 6 years ago, and I had to leave my gas stove behind. :glare: I really, really dislike glass top stoves, but it's what I'm stuck with for now. But, I do really like my cookware! :)

We got this set from Walmart several years ago. It may be a bit over your price range, but you could probably get some individual pieces instead of the set. It has been absolutely fabulous.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-8-Piece-Cookware-Set/5716478

I also recommend getting some barkeeper's friend to wash stainless steel with. Mine still looks shiny and new.

I don't have a set. I like to pick up pieces here and there instead of getting a set of pots and pans than I don't like and being stuck with them.

I have a bunch of pots from IKEA and I really like them. I bought a non stick pan with lid similar to this one right before Christmas and it's now my favorite.

I recommend reading reviews on Amazon. Here's a nice set with good reviews for about $100.