Menu

Can your teen use your credit card?

I let my teens use our cc to get gas. They have not needed it for shopping nor have they asked. The reason for me asking is this, we pay our dentist for our visit, they file our insurance and get reimbursed. DS who is 18 has a dentist appointment I don't want to have to go just to pay, can he use my cc without me there?

I'd call the dentist and see if they will let him. As long as the office knows that you gave permission, I don't think that they'll have a problem with it. Or you can have them call you after the appointment so you can pay over the phone. I pay my bills over the phone all the time.

:iagree:

I'd call the dentist and see if they will let him. As long as the office knows that you gave permission, I don't think that they'll have a problem with it. Or you can have them call you after the appointment so you can pay over the phone. I pay my bills over the phone all the time.

I agree.

Back when I worked retail in college, we were not allowed to let someone other than the card holder use the card. But, I think the dentist probably would, if you let them know ahead of time.

My kids use our debit/VISA almost daily. They also use the health savings account VISA card when they have appointments. I do write a note for my daughter to okay treatment for my 16yo if I don't go.

The only place who has bothered us about the card has been Goodwill where we have to show ID to show we have the same last name as my hubby (whose pic is on the card).

ETA: It is really quite scary that this is possible like this. However, it is what it is and it works, for this purpose, for our family.

What we've done to alleviate this situation is add our 19 yods onto our credit card. There have been so many situations where we needed him to run errands (he's the only driver we have besides my husband and I) or put gas into the car or whatever. I was able to add him as an authorized user to our credit card and they issued him one in his own name which has taken care of the problem. Of course, with this particular kid, we've had no qualms because we are sure that he won't abuse the privilege - at least so far :)

What we've done to alleviate this situation is add our 19 yods onto our credit card. There have been so many situations where we needed him to run errands (he's the only driver we have besides my husband and I) or put gas into the car or whatever. I was able to add him as an authorized user to our credit card and they issued him one in his own name which has taken care of the problem. Of course, with this particular kid, we've had no qualms because we are sure that he won't abuse the privilege - at least so far :)

We did the same thing when our eldest ds turned 16.