Menu

s/o -- if your children sometimes wear PJ's all day

as in, literally all day, until bedtime...

are they allowed to wear them outside to play, and get them dirty (which does tend to happen...)?

Or do they just not go outside at all on those days?

(In our house, we normally get dressed before or right after breakfast, but DD8 sometimes wakes up at the crack of dawn and goes out to dig holes in the back yard. I think she's part terrier. ;) It is hard to get dirt stains out of the seat of cotton PJ's!)

I have my boys change out of their PJs before going outside because they do tend to get dirtier more easily than other clothes. Sometimes, it may be 4 PM before they change to go out! I try to get them outside every day, weather permitting, of course.

My kids don't get dirty outside. They ride their bikes in the driveway, swing, dig in the sand table, and chase each other but it's VERY rare that they actually get dirty outdoors. Spilling food on themselves, on the other hand, is what usually means they end up having to change into clean pajamas.

mine routinely wear PJs outside. in the summer -- ie gardening season -- we get up, eat, and then i go outside to water or weed or ....then boys eat then come out to help. then we go in and we all shower / tubbie and then get dressed for the day -- so they daily wear Pj's outside.

but that being said -- they do not wear the PJs i love most ...

My kids wore pajamas as regular clothes until they were about 6-ish? It was mostly about comfort. I think they both felt uncomfortable in seams etc. Pajamas were easier on them and me.

I really didn't care at all. I don't really want to expend any energy on what my kids are wearing. As long as all necessary parts are covered, I am happy.

Oh, and if they get dirty, well, that is no different than if their daytime clothes get dirty. Change into clean ones, right? I prob own the world's largest collection of pajamas sized 6x and under. I am pretty sure that for about 3 years my elder son only wore pajamas so I just bought that for him to wear.

I forgot to add that most of the time they wore Halloween costumes over their pajamas. Pirate, fairy, Frankenstein, werewolf, star trek officer, Darth Vader..whatever. My youngest still has face crayon on him most of the time. I think today he is a baby bear.

It was hilarious when my then 10 year old ran in a community race wearing a gorilla suit. I couldn't decide what was funnier, that he ran the race in the suit or that we own a gorilla suit. About halfway through he got hot and had to take off the mask

Right now they are in regular street clothes, jeans, sweater etc. When they do get into those clothes they are very snappy dressers. My dh is always asking them to pick out his outfits. Especially the youngest, he has a great eye. He has a fondness for sweater vests :lol:

as in, literally all day, until bedtime...

are they allowed to wear them outside to play, and get them dirty (which does tend to happen...)?

Or do they just not go outside at all on those days?

(In our house, we normally get dressed before or right after breakfast, but DD8 sometimes wakes up at the crack of dawn and goes out to dig holes in the back yard. I think she's part terrier. ;) It is hard to get dirt stains out of the seat of cotton PJ's!)

Uhhh...'scuse me...Eleanor? Is this thread a s/o of MY p.j. thread? For real? If it is, I'm deeply humbled. I'm quite sure I've never prompted a s/o!

If not, just ignore me. :D

And to answer your questions...my kids will wear whatever they slept in around the house--indoors. They get dressed in "regular" clothes as soon as they want to play outside or go away from the house.

And even if we are home all day, we don't all always wear p.j.s or loungewear. We just kind of do whatever feels good that day!

We all get dressed everyday. That said, the four year old recently wore the same pjs for two days straight, without changing. Don't ask me about changing her underwear those two days. :shudder: My mil came up during this time. (Figures, right?). The four year old wanted to play outside, so I just told her to put on a coat and shoes over her footed pajamas. Mil actually praised me for relaxing a little.:lol::lol::lol:

Uhhh...'scuse me...Eleanor? Is this thread a s/o of MY p.j. thread? For real? If it is, I'm deeply humbled. I'm quite sure I've never prompted a s/o!

If not, just ignore me. :D

Tee hee. :D

Yes, it is, but it's also something I've been wondering about since the big PJ poll a while ago. Some people said that their children didn't bother to get dressed "unless we're going outside that day."

At the same time, on another thread, some people were scoffing because an eye doctor had expressed concern that homeschoolers might not get enough natural light. These posters believed that homeschooled children pretty much automatically spend much more time outdoors than children in school.

Anyway, from the responses here, it seems that the fact that many families wear PJs all day doesn't necessarily imply that they're a bunch of moles. Although my daughter would probably like that. :D

My kids wear pajama pants and tshirts to bed, so when I say they wear pjs, that's what I'm talking about. Still, they are supposed to put on jeans to go play outside. Sometimes they don't though, and since they are just playing in the back yard in colorful pants and shirts... I don't see it as that big a deal.

My kids go outside to play every day. We also have outside of the house activities every day but Sunday and Monday.

We live on a farm so you never can tell quite how dirty the dirt really is. If clothes go outside, they are no longer pajamas until they pass through a wash cycle. I try to make sure that the pajamas stay indoors and street clothes go outdoors but that doesn't always work.

Edited by rwjx2khsmj

I ask my son who loves is pj pants so much to put on "real" pants before we go out, but sometimes he doesn't. When I saw I ask, I really do mean that I ask. It's not something I'm going to go to bat over. I mean, in the end, I do not care that much. Okay, if it's church or a special occasion sort of thing, that's different, but just playing in the yard or going to co-op? Eh. Whatever.

My boys slept over last night with friends and when I met them at the zoo today, ds was in his funkiest gray pj pants. Oh well! One time, ds went hiking by the creek in pj pants and they got filthy. But I just washed them. I don't see that it's so different from other clothes.