Menu

Math for preschool.

mystika1

Hi,

My 4 year old is constantly asking to do school like her big sister.(she likes workbooks...go figure):001_smile: I am working with her on letters and sounds but would like to add math. I can put something together myself but...I think a book or guide would keep it from getting skipped. I see in past threads that Miquon is recommended but isn't Miquon for 1st-3rd?(I may be mistaken) I have MUS blocks and C-Rods that she likes to build with.:D I was thinking SM Earlybird but read negative reviews about it so I dropped that thought. I do have SM for later that I plan to use with her.

Any suggestions?

Penny

Hi,

My 4 year old is constantly asking to do school like her big sister.(she likes workbooks...go figure):001_smile: I am working with her on letters and sounds but would like to add math. I can put something together myself but...I think a book or guide would keep it from getting skipped. I see in past threads that Miquon is recommended but isn't Miquon for 1st-3rd?(I may be mistaken) I have MUS blocks and C-Rods that she likes to build with.:D I was thinking SM Earlybird but read negative reviews about it so I dropped that thought. I do have SM for later that I plan to use with her.

Any suggestions?

Penny

Miquon was written for 1-3rd Grades back on 1964 when (for better or worse) children didn't typically get math instruction in Kindergarten.

I found the approaches in Miquon unbelievably enriching for my son in pre-k. He learned so much in short playful sessions using manipulatives like C Rods that he could control himself. It was just the sort of developmental learning resource that I hoped to find.

I don't think Miquon is everyones cup of tea, but for me it was the best possible thing for my son and myself. I learned so much reading the teachers materials, and he really internalized the objectives in ways he found "fun."

Bill

I used R&S Counting With Numbers first, since middle son needed to learn to count objects and write numbers. After that, we started Singapore Essential Math K, along with C-rods. I'm stupid and can't make sense of Miquon, but using C-rods with SM has been easy for me. We started it when DS was 4. He's halfway through book B now. We'll start SM PM 1A next year for K.

Miquon makes sense to me as something to try pre-K. If you're looking for just a workbook, I found a fun one the other day that I mentioned in this thread, though its topics might span pre-K to some of 1st gr. There are actually cuter pics than the ones I posted :tongue_smilie:. eta, it looks like the cheaper used copies are gone but there are a couple left.

We use Saxon K for pre-K. Other than the calendar though, it is all manipulatives and no worksheets. But my 4 year olds have all loved "doing real school" with it.

We really enjoyed Saxon for our 4yo for this reason, too; although, if I remember correctly, there were some worksheets (less than 1/day) in the last part of the K curriculum. Mostly counting and writing numbers, I think. Our book is in storage in the garage; can someone check this for the OP?

We also used a book from Teacher Created Resources. I THINK this one posted below is the one, but, again, it is in storage in the garage. We did not do all pages in this book. I only copied a couple of dozen for use at the end of the year to intersperse with the pages from Saxon.

http://www.teachercreated.com/products/math-practice-for-beginners-3115?lt=browse.24.178.1.50

I think that I will go ahead and try Miquon. I have always been curious about it and wonder how my oldest would have done with it. Since she likes playing with the crods she may take to the program. I will end up using a workbook also for her since she likes workbooks.(Maybe SM) I will look into the other book listed above.

Thanks,

Penny

I have 3 suggestions. One is to second the suggestion for Saxon K which has a calendar book and some pages to photocopy in the back for handwriting practice. The second is the book called Counting With Numbers from Rod and Staff which is also only a few dollars. My son is doing both of these now and really doing well with them. The third is a new workbook out by Memoria Press called the Numbers book. We plan to use it next year as part of our K program.......

I think that I will go ahead and try Miquon. I have always been curious about it and wonder how my oldest would have done with it. Since she likes playing with the crods she may take to the program. I will end up using a workbook also for her since she likes workbooks.(Maybe SM) I will look into the other book listed above.

Thanks,

Penny

The thing with Miquon is that if it resonates with you and your child as a basic method you can then bring in other resources into your "Math Lab" and use Miquon-like means to make them part of your mix. MEP, Singapore, and RightStart all have components that are interesting and fit perfectly with the whole-parts math model the children will get in a hands on way in Miquon.

Miquon does take some teacher re-education and involvement. Someone looking for "open and go" or expects an introductory math program to look simple and familiar may never get past the "I don't get it stage."

Bill

My daughter adores Beginning Mathematical Reasoning from the Critical Thinking Co. I was amazed at how rapidly she has progressed with it. We have book 1. I actually hid the book to give myself a break from it, because she was begging for more and more math every day, and then throwing fits when I insisted I needed to do something else (after going through twenty to forty pages). :blushing:

My daughter just started Miquon and she's 4, so you can definitely use it in the early years. We started playing with the rods first and then slowly introducing the books. There was definitely a HUGE learning curve for me. I took a few months to retrain my brain before I ever introduced it to her. Thanks to this forum I knew I needed to get First Grade Diary and Liping Ma's book rather than trying to do it on my own. We also started Singapore K a few months ago, and thanks to the foundation she built with Miquon, breezed through it. I figured we would take it slow, but she kept telling me she already knew it. Singapore introduces number bonds towards the end of the year and she wanted to skip through all of the cute illustrations and examples and just start using her rods. I've found that Miquon and Singapore really do work hand in hand. The biggest advantage of Miquon is that she relies on visualization, rather than counting, which makes her much more efficient at mental math.

My daughter just started Miquon and she's 4, so you can definitely use it in the early years. We started playing with the rods first and then slowly introducing the books. There was definitely a HUGE learning curve for me. I took a few months to retrain my brain before I ever introduced it to her. Thanks to this forum I knew I needed to get First Grade Diary and Liping Ma's book rather than trying to do it on my own. We also started Singapore K a few months ago, and thanks to the foundation she built with Miquon, breezed through it. I figured we would take it slow, but she kept telling me she already knew it. Singapore introduces number bonds towards the end of the year and she wanted to skip through all of the cute illustrations and examples and just start using her rods. I've found that Miquon and Singapore really do work hand in hand. The biggest advantage of Miquon is that she relies on visualization, rather than counting, which makes her much more efficient at mental math.

:thumbup1:

Outstanding!

Bill

I started my 4 year old on mathematical reasoning beginning book A which was made for 3 yr olds, she is half way done and will start Book B (made for 4 yr olds) in the next couple months. She asks to do math everyday, it is her favorite school book. She had been begging to have real school books like the big kids for a while, would cry when their books came, especially math, and there was none for her. I like that a lot of it is point and talk etc with little writing, but still all there so I don't have to think about it, we can just open and go. She likes that it is all her's and that people are amazed when she tells them she is doing math :D

My daughter adores Beginning Mathematical Reasoning from the Critical Thinking Co. I was amazed at how rapidly she has progressed with it. We have book 1. I actually hid the book to give myself a break from it, because she was begging for more and more math every day, and then throwing fits when I insisted I needed to do something else (after going through twenty to forty pages). :blushing:

I should have just read the whole thread before posting. THis is the same book I was posting about and like your dd my dd LOVES this book and begs to do more and more math, she hateswhen it is time to put it away and do something else.

What Miquon materials do you guys recommend that I purchase? I know that I need the Lab Annotations book, First Grade Diary, and the first workbook but what about the rest?

Thanks,

Penny

Notes to Teachers is the third teacher book. It is relatively thin and should to my mind just have been a foreword to the Lab Annotations book. While it is lower value than the other two teachers books I would still recommend it for its advice on getting started. For $5-6 new I'd get it.

I would also get at least the first two Lab Sheet books (Orange and Red). The reason being is Miquon is set up so you can move through in a linear fashion, which moves from topic to topic, or you can follow one topic. Having the Red book (at least) will give you more flexibility if you want to continue a topic (say addition) in more depth.

The same logic applies to adding even more books, but the first two would be a minimum IMO.

Bill

I would also get at least the first two Lab Sheet books (Orange and Red). The reason being is Miquon is set up so you can move through in a linear fashion, which moves from topic to topic, or you can follow one topic. Having the Red book (at least) will give you more flexibility if you want to continue a topic (say addition) in more depth.

The same logic applies to adding even more books, but the first two would be a minimum IMO.

Bill

And get them from CurrClick in e-book form so you can print out whatever pages you want to do--I can print out for either kiddo this way. :)

And get them from CurrClick in e-book form so you can print out whatever pages you want to do--I can print out for either kiddo this way. :)

I kind of like the very low-tech mimeograph-era printing of the hardcopy books myself, but with multiple children I can see the case for e-versions of the Lab Sheet student books. I would still want hard copies of the Lab Annotations and Diary.

Bill

I had to share...:001_smile:I went to my local Homeschool Cottage and got the Lab Annotation, Notes to Teachers, and all but two of the workbooks for $14.00 cause they are closing and wanted to clear the inventory. I wish they had the First Grade Diary but..oh well, I will get the pdf instead.

Penny

I had to share...:001_smile:I went to my local Homeschool Cottage and got the Lab Annotation, Notes to Teachers, and all but two of the workbooks for $14.00 cause they are closing and wanted to clear the inventory. I wish they had the First Grade Diary but..oh well, I will get the pdf instead.

Penny

Awesome!