Menu

S/O Facial hair thread--scarring

Any of you...um...frequent users of hair removal products have any issues with scarring? Due to my hormonal issues, I've been a daily tweezer for 10 years or so. Now I'm noticing a darkening on my face in the daily tweezed areas. Great. I've been using OTC scar treatments and whitening creams for about 6 months but it still looks the same. Help please!

Any of you...um...frequent users of hair removal products have any issues with scarring? Due to my hormonal issues, I've been a daily tweezer for 10 years or so. Now I'm noticing a darkening on my face in the daily tweezed areas. Great. I've been using OTC scar treatments and whitening creams for about 6 months but it still looks the same. Help please!

You could try waxing. I use an epilator, though. I use the retinoid cream for acne scarring. It is prescription only.

Melissa, the same exact thing happened to me. I was an every-other-day tweezer for years and years.

The only thing that worked for me is electrolysis. Love it, love it, love it. Gone forever. Takes time. You need to be patient. But then, it's gone! If you need more details, I'll share here.

I did laser hair removal for the face in 2005 for 4-6 months. It was worth every penny. I also did Obagi treatment for the dark patches and it went away. Strangely enough, while doing Obagi and the laser hair removal, my hyperpigmentation scars disappeared and I did not go to the last step for the blue peel mask.

You can also try microdermabrasion at a clinic/spa -- or a chemical peel? But the microdermabrasion should do the trick after 2 or 3 rounds.

FYI redheads or blondies: I JUST discovered yesterday that laser hair removal isn't available for blonde/red hair. :angry: It's electrolysis or nothing.

Not true. It depends on the color of the hair that needs to be removed which may or may not be the same color as on your head. My sister is blond and has had lots of laser done. But the hair she wanted removed was darker than her skin. If the hair you want to remove is very light and matches your skin then laser won't work.

Not true. It depends on the color of the hair that needs to be removed which may or may not be the same color as on your head. My sister is blond and has had lots of laser done. But the hair she wanted removed was darker than her skin. If the hair you want to remove is very light and matches your skin then laser won't work.

This is what I've been told by my aesthetician as well. I highly recommend seeing someone associated w/ a Dermatologist. I just feel safer going to a medical office and they give me lots of samples for my rosacea every time, too. My office has packages priced by area. A few times/year they have a sale and that's when I've purchased. For the lip/chin (and this included my neck as well) it was $450 for 6 treatments. I priced this w/ laser spas in my area and was a much better deal per treatment as well.

She said to expect approx. 10% reduction w/ every treatment. I didn't have the results I was hoping to after 6 visits so I purchased another pckg. I'm not at all unhappy to have done so as this hair is gone! FYI: I'm fair skinned /w light hair but the offensive hair is dark. Laser has worked great.

I cannot wait to do more areas. I'm thinking of lower leg next.

I was also recommended to use Gigi Hair Removal Lotion (do NOT get cream! way too strong and irritating to many sensitive faces). This works great on that fine hair you may have on your face/arms. Love it!

J

Yes, please! Facial hair just started becoming a problem for me in the past couple of years. Doncha just love aging?!

At least you had a few hairless years; my issues started in college :glare:. Any chance we can get facial hair declared sexy?!?

Another person relieved not to be the only one with this problem! Sheesh ! Yesterday my son asked if I was growing a beard. :001_huh:

Does the epilator work? I have blond facial hair and no money! (at the time). I pluck and it just gets worse.

I have heard of a cream you can get that once you get the hair off, if you apply it twice a day, keeps it from regrowing. It starts with a "V" and I can't remember the name. It isn't cheap either but may help some of us blondies.

Maybe we shoul start a bearded women are the coolest club --we could be Bearded Beauties! Ok, yes it is a horrible idea. We can just pluck and tweeze and pray no one notices!!!!

Another person relieved not to be the only one with this problem! Sheesh ! Yesterday my son asked if I was growing a beard. :001_huh:

Does the epilator work? I have blond facial hair and no money! (at the time). I pluck and it just gets worse.

I have heard of a cream you can get that once you get the hair off, if you apply it twice a day, keeps it from regrowing. It starts with a "V" and I can't remember the name. It isn't cheap either but may help some of us blondies.

Maybe we shoul start a bearded women are the coolest club --we could be Bearded Beauties! Ok, yes it is a horrible idea. We can just pluck and tweeze and pray no one notices!!!!

:iagree:

Same here. My youngest said that one day if I was growing a beard. Its hard enough already that I have dark hair to begin with. :glare:

I think you are right about blondes. Thank you for clarifying.

However, redheads lack the brown pigment in their hair that other people have. This brown pigment is specifically targeted by the laser. So, my understanding is that, yes, the hair has to be darker than the skin but that is not the only qualification. The hair also has to contain some brown pigment. Even though I may have copper hair on fair skin, I am still not a very good candidate for Laser. Well, it might work eventually but the cost and time it would take to have it done would likely far exceed the cost and time for electrolysis. Derm's in my area strongly recommend electrolysis for true redheads.

That's where I'm stuck because electrolysis scares me.:scared: