Menu

Talk to me about your gallbladder

surgery LOL. I met with the surgeon today and am scheduled to have it out on the 25th. I don't want too! :mad: And I am still terrified of the anesthesia or lack of it working, but I know it needs to go.

So tell me it's going to be OK. Lie if you need too.

I could talk to you about my gall bladder surgery but it would all be one big lie and I don't think that's the kind of lie you were hoping for... :tongue_smilie:

:grouphug: You will be fine. It's fairly common and the anesthesia will work... if it doesn't, they won't cut on you! They don't want anyone leaping off the table at them so they will make sure it works! :grouphug: Surgery is no fun... but there are worse surgeries... (don't make me go into detail, okay?!) :001_huh:

I had mine removed in 2001. It was laparoscopic. I was in the hospital not quite 48 hours (mine was "emergency" in that I was having an attack and they went ahead and admitted me and took it out the next day) That was a Wednesday, I was walking 2 miles by Sat. and at church on Sunday. Piece of cake! You'll be fine!:grouphug:

I asked about the surgery here before I had mine out in March, and everyone told me it would be fine. They were right. No lie. :) I was in the hospital overnight, was able to eat a normal breakfast in the morning, and was home by noon. I had a couple of slow days but then felt fine. And it was such a relief not to be in pain after every meal! I wish I'd done it sooner.

I had my gall bladder out when my first born was 3 weeks old. Emergency-style (would have much rather been able to "plan" it:001_smile:)

Today's gall bladder surgery is so much easier to recover from than the old style. I have two tiny scars, and have been pain-free for 8 1/2 years.

It will be okay...:grouphug:

Jean,

I hope you're sitting down. Consider this my "tough love" speech to you.

You are the mother of 10 children, yes? You have carried them, given birth to them, nursed/fed them, changed their diapers, potty trained them, and have probably been more or less sleepless for the last 19 years. Yes?

You are probably strong enough to be wide awake through the modern version of gallbladder removal surgery! YOU HAVE TEN CHILDREN! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! Piece of cake ;)

In all seriousness, it was easy. After I came home from the hospital, I was in considerable pain, but it was due to the ENORMOUS amounts of air they pump into you during the surgery. That air HAD to get out (I asked them to burp me ala tupperware, but....). Anyway, it hurt to move, but that's the best way to get rid of the air -- to move.

That was the worst of it. I was up and around the next day, taking care of my kids and my grandmother, who was staying with me recuperating from her own surgery. I was a little sore/tender at the incision sites, but nothing I couldn't handle with a little pain meds. ;) But I really, REALLY like pain meds! :D

The one thing I was most worried about was throwing up afterwards -- I hate anesthesia, and I was more afraid of this reaction than anything else. I told the doctor I'd be fine as long as I don't throw up! LOL So he ordered a "cocktail" of "anti-throwing-up-after-anesthesia" meds. LOL Worked like a charm!

Jean! I thought you were going to have this out SO long ago! :confused1: I remember a couple of "failed" attempts, but for some reason I thought you eventually did it...

Anyhow... really easy surgery. Laproscopic surgery is a breeze, recovery is fast, and the recovery is only 1/10 of the pain of a gall-bladder attack, if that, so you'll be fine. The anxiety is the worst part. If you have any tools you use for stress/anxiety in other areas of your life, pull them out here. It's a breeze. No lie!!!

Oh, bless your heart. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. I had a c with general anesthesia, and don't remember a thing.

Oh, he said I have a hernia too, above my belly button!? He saw it and then felt it and told me he will take care of that at the same time? ACK. I had to try hard to not puke or pass out.

Jean! I thought you were going to have this out SO long ago! :confused1: I remember a couple of "failed" attempts, but for some reason I thought you eventually did it...

I was supposed to. Even went to the hospital and got checked in and all that and they canceled it. I never went back LOL.

It will all be fine! I don't know if you're having pain right now, but if you are, that's reason enough to get rid of it. The hardest part for me was seeing my infant daughter wait hours and hours to nurse because she refused to take a bottle. Are they doing it laproscopically? (not sure how to spell that!) If so, you'll just have 2 little scars, one of which you probably won't see (hidden in naval) I have anesthesia fears, too, so I know how you feel. If your difficult to anesthetize, make sure you tell the anesthesiologist that. My DH is a gastroenterologist, so I'm lucky in that everyone in the hospital caters to my wimpiness:). Really though, it's no biggie. Short and (?)sweet. I did come home too soon, though, which was difficult. I felt like I needed to get back to the kids and I didn't want to impose on anyone any longer than necessary. Ugh. Mommy guilt. So if you feel yucky or nauseous the next day, I'd recommend staying one more night in the hospital. You'll likely get back on your feet sooner if you recover properly. One thing's for sure---you won't miss your gallbladder one little bit!

You are the mother of 10 children, yes? You have carried them, given birth to them, nursed/fed them, changed their diapers, potty trained them, and have probably been more or less sleepless for the last 19 years. Yes?

That's what my Dh told me, but I don't agree with him. I am a wimp :)

I had mine out 10 years ago. It was very easy. I had the surgery and went home a few hours later. I never needed any pain medication. The next day my dh and I went shopping. One week later I was back playing volleyball. It was the best thing I have ever done. Now I can eat anything I want and not have to worry about it.

and the anesthesia will work... if it doesn't, they won't cut on you! They don't want anyone leaping off the table at them so they will make sure it works!

Side note: I haven't had gallbladder surgery, but my FEAR going into my uterine ablation last summer was that I wouldn't fall asleep. Thank goodness they know what they're doing. It felt like I was asleep all of 2 minutes.

He said I will be home that day, they aren't keeping me over-night. Is this normal?

Yup. I only had to stay overnight because I ended up having surgery later in the day that they had originally planned. The surgeon said that most people who are otherwise in good health go home the same day.

Getting my gallbladder out was probably the easiest, least painful procedure I've ever had. Not that I've had a lot, but...getting my tonsils and adenoids out last year was 100x worse. Seriously.

I had my surgery @ 5:30 in the evening and got out of the hospital the next morning well before noon. I was driving the day after that. I did get a little post-anesthesia nausea, but they can give you good drugs for that. Never felt sick after that. A little soreness lasted for about a week, but nothing extraordinary. I think I only took my Percocet for 1 day, the day I got out of the hospital. I took Advil the rest of the week.

On the other hand, I wouldn't wish a tonsillectomy on my worst enemy.

Oh, he said I have a hernia too, above my belly button!?

When dh had hernia surgery 4 years ago they fixed his umbilical hernia at the same time they did his inguinal (sp??). After he recovered, he had had an innie for the first time in his life. One day I saw him staring at his belly button and asked him why he was staring at it. His reply...."I didn't realize that lint would actually accumulate in there. Wow, that is a lot of lint. Cool.":blink:

Mind you , this is a man with a PhD in Classics. :tongue_smilie:

When dh had hernia surgery 4 years ago they fixed his umbilical hernia at the same time they did his inguinal (sp??). After he recovered, he had had an innie for the first time in his life. One day I saw him staring at his belly button and asked him why he was staring at it. His reply...."I didn't realize that lint would actually accumulate in there. Wow, that is a lot of lint. Cool.":blink:

Mind you , this is a man with a PhD in Classics. :tongue_smilie:

LOL wow I have something to look forward too! Lint :D

I worked 7 years in surgery. I tell you gallbladder removal is super easy. I have not seen many complications.

The big surgery with a gallbladder is when you don't remove it and it ruptures. Then it has to be done the old fashion way.

I pray you will have peace and easy recovery.

I haven't read the other responses yet, but I have to tell you, I've been waiting for you to make this post! I know you have been dealing with this for quite some time.

My gb surgery was a piece of cake. I was back to my normal routine within a week. I can eat pretty much anything I want now if I don't overdo it on the fats. You definitely want to go this route and not have to have emergency surgery.

I haven't read the other responses yet, but I have to tell you, I've been waiting for you to make this post! I know you have been dealing with this for quite some time.

Yeah. I haven't had another attack since October, but it just feels weird and I can tell something isn't right, kwim? I would much rather this than emergency surgery at 2 AM lol.

I had mine out on a Monday morning, went home the same day, no problem. The biggest pain reliever I needed was Tylenol. I spent the next few days on the couch (hint, put a sturdy chair next to the couch for a couple of days to help you get up and down) and went back to work on Friday (this was pre-child <G>). In retrospect I should have just taken that Friday off as well as I got really tired after being up all day. The worst part of the whole thing was about the third day post-op when I had a lot of back pain from the air they pumped in. It was still not as bad as a gallbladder attack.

It is now about 9 years later and no more problems. I did have to ease back into eating more normally. Be prepared to be fairly close to the bathroom when you start back to eating things with more fat. The weekend after the surgery we had steak and baked potatoes with butter and sour cream at my in-laws' and I had to have my husband find a bathroom *really quickly* on our way home due to diarrhea but it was brief. I will still occasionally have some mild problems if I eat a lot of fat, but I basically (and probably unfortunately :)) can eat whatever I like.