Menu

Where would I find AP classes for my ds? Are all of them for high school level, or are there some for middle school?

Thanks

Hot Lava Mama

AP means Advanced Placement. These are college level classes taken during high school. Only exceptional middle schoolers would be capable of doing AP.

I know that PA homeschoolers is offering several AP classes.

Edited by regentrude

You can self-study for any AP class. There is plenty of information on this board from parents whose students have done so. My daughter self-studied for world history last year and is doing macro- and microeconomics this year. She also is taking AP Chem through ChemAdvantage (love ChemAdvantage, by the way).

As for middle schoolers, lore is that it is the rare middle schooler who can successfully complete an AP exam. I only have the one middle schooler, and she's a smart cookie, no doubt, but she took AP World as a seventh grader (made a 5--perhaps you heard my shrieks from where you live when we got her score ;)) and is doing well in her three classes this year. We have our own reasons for starting APs early, and it's a long story that probably isn't interesting or applicable to anyone but me and her, but there is generally no need to start APs in middle school. Middle school is, however, a great time for pre-AP coursework, as many AP classes in regular schools are essentially, though perhaps unofficially, taught over two years.

Terri

DD self-studied for AP's and scored 5's on the three she took.

Ds is self-studying as well. Our local high school eliminated AP classes this year due to funding cuts and fired several teachers in the high school in order to balance the budget, thus not enough teachers to cover remedial and regular classes much less AP's and honors...don't ask me how I feel about the superintendent pulling down a $250,000.00 salary while teachers are let go or the 20% increase to the sports' budget - not fundraising either - federal/state funding monies. :glare: :tongue_smilie::banghead:

Dh and I very comfortable tutoring the kids for these courses and we buy two or three prep books (Barron's, Princeton Review, etc.) to help prepare for the format of the test and speed. They also do the free online practice exams. Though dd earned a 5 on the chemistry exam after completing both Apologia texts, I need to say upfront that these are not AP approved texts and dd is, well, dd....she read dh and I's old college chem texts for fun! Therefore, I cannot claim with any certainty that Apologia contained all of the information covered on the exam because she most certainly could have learned a lot from that independent reading. That said, Apologia did a fine job of preparing for college chem. She carried a 97% or higher in her pre-med, chem and chem related classes...pharmacology, etc. As a general rule, I recommend that if the student is going to attempt the AP, that a parent choose an AP approved text for that subject. If you feel that something is left out, supplement with readings from other texts. But, it is wise to stick to the list of approved texts when it comes to "teaching to the test". :001_smile:

Ds's AP biology text and assignments, while immensely interesting, would be heady for middle schoolers unless that middle schooler is pretty advanced...ie. thinking at the rhetoric level. The genetics and bio-chem portions are difficult. Definitely, in the sciences and maths, I would not encourage a younger student to go that route. That said, last year my 12 year old completed two AP World History practice exams, missed two questions on one of them, and aced the other...I really love SWB/WTM!!!

The history might be more manageable.

Generally, colleges are only interested in seeing grades, AP's, course listing, etc. for the last four years of school so I'm not certain there would be any value in a middle schooler attempting AP's early. However, for the highly accelerated student, there may a good reason such as abbreviated high school/early matriculation to university. If this is the case, you may want to direct your question to the accelerated learner board...these mom's have btdt and have lots of good advice. They've helped me a bit when I've had a couple of rough patches with my youngest one who is a highly gifted student.

Faith

Generally, colleges are only interested in seeing grades, AP's, course listing, etc. for the last four years of school so I'm not certain there would be any value in a middle schooler attempting AP's early.

I actually polled a couple of colleges on this, UNC-Chapel Hill being one, and was told that they do look at, and count for credit, all APs, regardless of when they were taken.

Terri

questions while I try to understand this?

Tell me if my understanding is correct:

1. AP classes are taking to prepare for AP tests that some colleges will accept either as credit or to skip lower level required classes.

2. AP tests are taken during the high school years.

The question I don't understand is how do I find "AP classes?" Is there a list with the vendors somewhere? Are the classes identified as "AP"? (Apoligia Science was mentioned. Is it the normal courses or do they have a special "AP" course?) Is it any class that teaches to the test?

Or are they similar to the "SAT" classes where you practice taking the tests? My confusion is getting and taking the "AP class" part. I understand the testing part and everything after that. I just don't understand how to access the "preparation" part.

Can someone help me understand?

Thanks so much!

Hot Lava Mama

I actually polled a couple of colleges on this, UNC-Chapel Hill being one, and was told that they do look at, and count for credit, all APs, regardless of when they were taken.

Terri

I recommend polling any institution on the potential high schooler's long list. DD applied to 13 colleges and uni's...I asked at each one and not one single admission's department wanted to see anything on the transcript that accumulated prior to the last four years of education. Could be a mid-western thing as DD did not apply to any schools on the coasts. It definitely differs per institution.

Thanks for the heads up though...UNC Chapel Hill is on one of my ds's short list. It's always good to have insider information! :001_smile:

Faith

I recommend polling any institution on the potential high schooler's long list. DD applied to 13 colleges and uni's...I asked at each one and not one single admission's department wanted to see anything on the transcript that accumulated prior to the last four years of education. Could be a mid-western thing as DD did not apply to any schools on the coasts. It definitely differs per institution.

Thanks for the heads up though...UNC Chapel Hill is on one of my ds's short list. It's always good to have insider information! :001_smile:

Faith

Did you ask specifically about AP scores, though? That is a very different question than middle school classes generally. My question was about AP scores only, not even AP classes, much less MS classes generally.

Terri

Did you ask specifically about AP scores, though? That is a very different question than middle school classes generally. My question was about AP scores only, not even AP classes, much less MS classes generally.

Terri

It's been six years. I'd have to ask dd if she remembers what specific details I included in my questions. It's possible I didn't ask about AP's because dd did not take any in middle school so it would have been a moot point for us.

My advice is to always, always, always, have a list of possible schools in your head and ask them directly. This is especially true if the student will be majoring in something really competitive or hopes to attend an expensive school and will need a lot of merit aid. You'd be surprised at what colleges and uni's label as "nicks" on the application. All of those little nicks can add up to not being in the running for scholarships, or not getting into that school, that department, etc. Compared to when I attended college in the 80's, admission's/merit money is real game! :glare:

Faith

I added a tag to the thread. If you click on Advanced Placement, it will take you to some other threads on the subject. I think there was a good stream of them back in the summer when test scores were fresh.

ETA: I found this in one of the older threads:

This has come up before on these boards, I think; scores are kept for four years and then "archived":

Archived AP Scores

Four years after your test date, your AP scores are removed from our active computer files and archived. AP Services must receive a signed and written request, and there is a charge of $25 each time they are sent to a college. Please complete the Archived AP Scores Request Form (.pdf/72KB) and mail or fax it to the address or number indicated.

See this page at the College Board site.

~Laura

Sorry, the link didn't come through.

Also, there were long discussions of the value of an AP score for admissions aside from if it would be used to grant credit. I try to hold the two goals separate in my mind.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

I self-studied (almost completely independently) for the AP U.S. government test in spring of 2011 when I was in 8th grade, and received a 5 on the exam. That exam was not very difficult. I read through the textbook, took notes, and took quite a few practice tests.

This year I'm taking AP US History and AP English Literature through PA Homeschoolers - I'm learning so much and both teachers (Mrs. Richman and Mrs. Inspektor) are extremely helpful and encouraging. The classes are expensive, but if you don't have a lot of time to study with your child, they are an excellent, perhaps better, alternative.

How many "AP" classes are good to have on a transcript to help a student stand out?

Thanks for your help!

Hot Lava Mama

The head of the local STEM magnet program told me they like their graduates to have about 6, though certainly some have more. Also, a lot of their magnet students take post-AP courses, so a competitive student without post-APs might have more. So for what it is worth, that is what she told me.

Terri

How many "AP" classes are good to have on a transcript to help a student stand out?

Thanks for your help!

Hot Lava Mama

Grin... it depends on the goals for your children. If your goal is Harvard or Yale, then you will regularly find kids who start taking them in 9th grade and kids that take 4 or more each year their junior and senior years... I would never put that much pressure on my child.

Some people NEVER do any AP's, but do dual credit instead and their kids get into a university with no problem. Some people do nothing.

My oldest will have doen 6 AP's.. He will also have taken 7 classes at the cc. I don't think my middle one is going to have that many AP exams, but he will have more cc classes, I think...

But as I said, you do not necessarily NEED the AP's to make your kid stand out. Maybe they are an excellent horseman and spend a lot of time doing that. TCU said they had a lot of homeschoolers who were gifted in equestrian or music and chose to do homeschooling because it gave them more time to focus on their passions. They considered those children to stand out as well.

Enjoy the journey.

How many AP classes to stand out?

I always think it strange that people talk about "How many AP classes?" when I think the question should better be "What scores?"

I know that colleges want to see students who have pushed themselves academically, but I still think that high scores trump mere number of AP classes.

I mean, as an ad con, would you look more favorably on someone who had four 5's or on someone who had eight 3's? If the person with the four 5's had a lot of interesting EC's, I'd choose him/her any time over the student with the eight 3's. But maybe I don't know what I'm talking about!

(For more thinking about how to impress ad cons without taking 15 AP classes, see the book How To Be a High School Superstar.)

I always think it strange that people talk about "How many AP classes?" when I think the question should better be "What scores?"

I know that colleges want to see students who have pushed themselves academically, but I still think that high scores trump mere number of AP classes.

:iagree: but....

Do colleges actually know how a traditionally schooled student scored on the AP, or is the grade the student received in the AP class the only information that is provided on the high school transcript? I know of many students in our p.s. who receive an "A" in the AP class, but get a "1" on the actual exam.

I am listing the AP scores on the high school transcript, but I don't think my p.s. follows the same practice.

I wonder if adcoms are aware of these discrepancies or the inflated grading practices. :confused:

Thanks for your help!

Hot Lava Mama

If you have fours or fives on eight tests, you receive a "National AP Scholar" award. If your child has that before applying to college (i.e., by the end of junior year) he or she will stand out!

:iagree: but....

Do colleges actually know how a traditionally schooled student scored on the AP, or is the grade the student received in the AP class the only information that is provided on the high school transcript? I know of many students in our p.s. who receive an "A" in the AP class, but get a "1" on the actual exam.

I am listing the AP scores on the high school transcript, but I don't think my p.s. follows the same practice.

I wonder if adcoms are aware of these discrepancies or the inflated grading practices. :confused:

Well, colleges do know how what a school's profile is. That will detail things like average SAT/ACT scores, % attending 4 year and 2 year schools, and % scoreing over 3 on an AP exam (% of those who took the test). Here is a profile for the high school a friend's kids attend.

I think that colleges are very aware of the growing gap between the number of students taking an AP course and those scoring in passing ranges.

I find there is a bit of a Lake Wobegon effect. Years ago, statistics showed that students who took AP courses and exams were successful in college. That has been followed by a push to get lots of students into AP classes. Some are taking AP well before they are really ready for college work. At the schools in our local district, there are no honors courses. It's standard coursework or AP. So if you are college bound, you are probably trying AP, even if that is more than a little bit of a stretch. So the question I have is when does a student get to take high school level coursework? When does he learn the skills used in these college level courses.

Here are two interesting articles about AP results in the DC area. There are links to a lot of school results.

I will gladly defer to those who've been through the whole college app process, but it looks like there is a place on the common application to list AP courses and the score received.

Well, colleges do know how what a school's profile is...I will gladly defer to those who've been through the whole college app process, but it looks like there is a place on the common application to list AP courses and the score received.

That makes sense; I forgot about the school's profile. I also haven't looked at the common application before, and I didn't realize that the student lists his AP scores on the common app.