Menu

Happy Australia Day!

I'm not sure if that's the right greeting but I figured I'd give it a try.

We read about James Cook and the founding of Australia today. My dc want to celebrate Australia Day tomorrow because that will be 1/26 for us.

From those of you in Australia or from Australia, are there any activities or food that we should include in our celebration to make it semi-authentic?

Thanks for the greeting!! We don't really say anything too much about the holiday (not like merry xmas, or happy new year), most people would just say 'Doing anything for Australia Day?'

Aussies are usually more concerned with having a day off than what the holiday is actually commemorating! Australia Day, though, is one that most people know the name of, at least!

Most cities have a fireworks display (I know Perth does), and lots of people are outside at the beach, picnicking, or gathering with friends and family.

Other than bbq's as was mentioned already, nothing much is specifically for Australia Day. However, some things, while not exclusively Aussie, usually feature in a lot of Aussie get-togethers...Pavlova for dessert (it's my favourite, and the only thing I can think of right now!!:D) Potato salad, coleslaw, steak, lamb chops, hmm, not sure what else...maybe that will give you a little idea anyway.

Thanks for the greeting!! We don't really say anything too much about the holiday (not like merry xmas, or happy new year), most people would just say 'Doing anything for Australia Day?'

:iagree:Yes, that pretty much sums up the greeting. We went to a friend's house for a BBQ lunch. It is about 40 degrees celsius here today so no one was in the mood for making anything fancy. We had sausages on the BBQ, some lamb chops (which were left uneaten) hot dog rolls, garlic bread, salads, pavlova, lamingtons and plenty of cold beers.

The kids spent most of the day in the pool and got way more sun than we would normally allow - thankfully mine don't look too burnt.

My friend who hosted the BBQ is Australian, her husband is a New Zealander as is the other couple who were there, hence there were a lot of trans-tasman jokes and talk about cricket, rugby and the tennis. I don't do the flag waving thing but I guess if you are married to a New Zealander, today is a good day to get out the Aussie flag paraphernalia. My friend stuck little Aussie flags in the food, had flag tattoos for the kids and two inflatable thongs in the pool for them to play on.

Tonight we are driving in to the city to watch the big Australian Day fireworks display from my husband's office. My kids don't like the crowds and the view from my husband's office is hard to beat so we should end up having a great day.

Some years we just stay home and enjoy the public holiday!

Thanks for thinking of us.

Katrina

I thought th is article was both interesting and funny

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/what-it-means-to-be-australian/story-fn7x8me2-1226253806732

You can see the Aussie flag there, overlaid with what Aussies appreciate about being Aussie. It amused me IRT this forum, as one of the top things was Freedom, understandable but I've been told here a number of times that we are slaves not free. I value the freedom too, im very grateful to live in one free country and be a citizen of another one. Then there was sun, and beer which also gave me a giggle. There are others, I appreciate all of them....except beer, I'm more of a gin girl LOL

Anyway, I'm not an Aussie, and they won't let me be (looooong story) but I appreciate the privilege of living here and it's a really fabulous country to live in!

The most common food to eat on Australia Day is BBQ lamb. But you could just make something traditionally Australian like lamingtons. That's what we made and enjoyed today. I put the recipe and instructions on my blog today if you were interested:

http://homeschoolblogger.com/littlemen/2012/01/how-to-make-lamingtons/

You could also have a thong (flip flops) throwing contest. And for the brave - cockroach races...yes really. Very traditional. You wouldn't catch me doing it though!

Generally people just find something fun to do with the family outdoors - a bbq at the park, cricket on the beach, a party in the backyard or join in with a community event.

Enjoy your day.

Ok, who's going to be brave enough to put up the Sam Kekovich Barbie lamb video? :D I'm tempted, but I'm scared anyone who's not an Aussie won't get it and they'll think we're all weird. :w00t::biggrinjester:

Yes do it!!!

My little neck of the woods had fireworks last night. So pretty as my friend would say.

I completely agree with the just a day off comment. Apparently lots of people are taking today off so they could have a 4 day weekend.

You people really make lamingtons? :svengo:

Australia Day has only been an "occasion" for us for the past three years. It's my boy's birthday. :D

Australia Day, though, is one that most people know the name of, at least!

You'd be surprised. When I had ds, random people in the street would ask when he was born and I'd say Australia Day. I can't remember how many people didn't know when that was. And none of them had non-Australian accents!!

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Aussies are usually more concerned with having a day off than what the holiday is actually commemorating

:lol: I just said the exact same thing to my Canadian DH yesterday.

Umm - bogan Australians celebrate the day by wearing the flag as a cape and drinking beer (well that's what I saw the most of yesterday when we were out).

The not so bogan ones have a BBQ or go to the beach.

You people really make lamingtons? :svengo:

Yes -unfortunately some of us are stuck on a GF diet - I am so envious of those people who could just go buy them.

Ok, here we go:

Sam Kekovich "Barbie Girl"

You need to know the background to appreciate this: Sam Kekovich is a fairly well-known character with a football background who started making ads a few years ago encouraging us to "Eat Lamb on Australia Day or you're being un-Australian" This year he made this one, which has cameo appearances by a few other well-known Aussies :)

Way to make a girl homesick.

You'd be surprised. When I had ds, random people in the street would ask when he was born and I'd say Australia Day. I can't remember how many people didn't know when that was. And none of them had non-Australian accents!!

Rosie

I'm ashamed. I wouldn't have been able to name the date but it's ringing some bells now. Little ones, in the back.

Anyway, I'm not an Aussie, and they won't let me be (looooong story) but I appreciate the privilege of living here and it's a really fabulous country to live in!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/6330114/Australia-may-help-New-Zealanders-get-residency

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10781856

I'm about to spontaneously combust with excitement!

No way! :svengo:

My mother used to make me help her made snowballs (basically lamingtons but using a normal cupcake rather than sponge) and that was like a form of torture!

But good luck to you all. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

Your mother was dong it wrong then. Snowballs definitely come in a packet because they have marshmallow inside, not cake. Actually I don't like either (snowballs or lamingtons).

We usually "celebrate" by staying home and avoiding anywhere people with flags on their cars and beers in their hands might congregate.

I'm a bad citizen. I didn't even realize Australia had a female prime minister! Is Julia Gillard the first?

the list is very long,

some of the reasons is that she pulled a shifty on her colleague who was the prime minister to get his position, when we had our last elections she didn't have the most votes, but managed to promise enough things to 2 independents to get into power ( very close election) she has then reneged on the promises to the 2 independents. She is very moody and chucks tantrums if she doesn't get her way. She seems to have no clear policy except lets see how fast she can spend all Australia's money and get into a huge debt, which she has succeeded in doing with shocking speed. Some examples of this are the insulation debacle, and the buildings for schools program.

I am hoping that the no politics rule applies to only no American politics!

Edited by melissaL
add example

the list is very long,

some of the reasons is that she pulled a shifty on her colleague who was the prime minister to get his position, when we had our last elections she didn't have the most votes, but managed to promise enough things to 2 independents to get into power ( very close election) she has then reneged on the promises to the 2 independents. She is very moody and chucks tantrums if she doesn't get her way. She seems to have no clear policy except lets see how fast she can spend all Australia's money and get into a huge debt, which she has succeeded in doing with shocking speed.

I am hoping that the no politics rule applies to only no American politics!

Tangent thought, things may have changed but the way I remember Australians and politics is nothing like I've experienced with Americans and politics.

Your mother was dong it wrong then. Snowballs definitely come in a packet because they have marshmallow inside, not cake.

That's what I told her,:D but Granddad liked these ones with the cake.

We usually "celebrate" by staying home and avoiding anywhere people with flags on their cars and beers in their hands might congregate.

As it should be. :lol:

First female? Yes. I have to say I don't know a single person who likes her.

I do! Mainly because even considering the alternative would give us a tic.

Rosie

Rosie

:lol: Sounds like things aren't in an awesome way down there. I just would like to think the place is being maintained so I have somewhere to go if things get too bad over here. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: Sounds like things aren't in an awesome way down there. I just would like to think the place is being maintained so I have somewhere to go if things get too bad over here. :tongue_smilie:

You know, people are people. We could blame the government, the education system or both. :tongue_smilie:

You know, people are people. We could blame the government, the education system or both. :tongue_smilie:

Lets blame the education system. I think that one of the biggest problems of democracy is that it relies on the education of the voters to put in the government. And of course the government is in control of what is taught at schools.

Lets blame the education system. I think that one of the biggest problems of democracy is that it relies on the education of the voters to put in the government. And of course the government is in control of what is taught at schools.

This was my thought. So, how does one separate the two to blame one or the other?

:iagree: Yes indeed. Every election I'm completely astounded by the number of people I encounter who honestly do not understand the preferential voting system :confused:

Rosie

:iagree: Oh yes, save us from HIM!! Not that it's anything to do with me, I can't vote.

Yanno, they may not be perfect, but they are pretty good I reckon. And nowhere is perfect. Australia is in a better place than many Western countries currently, I am grateful that I am here instead of the many countries (including my own) that have been hit by recession much harder.

What's with wearing the flag like a cape though? I went into Woolies on Australia Day and a number of the young staff were wearing the flag. I thought that was considered not a good thing to do with a flag? They need to learn some decorum.

What's with wearing the flag like a cape though? I went into Woolies on Australia Day and a number of the young staff were wearing the flag. I thought that was considered not a good thing to do with a flag? They need to learn some decorum.

:lol::lol::lol: well after all they are Australian. I reckon they would make a great sarong for the beach.

I don't know of any problem with it so long as that wasn't all they were wearing at Woolies.

See! We can blame both!

Are you trying to impose your hoity-toity, Scout based notions of what is proper on our relaxed Australian values? Send your cultural imperialism back where it came from!

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie

calling each other "mate" all day.

Were you trying to impersonate rural Australia? Coz if you're being urban, I think it is only the Greeks, Italians and Lebanese who call each other mate all day long. :tongue_smilie::lol:

Don't forget to blame the government for something. It's a national hobby. :D

Rosie

Excuse me, Rosie, what were you saying about rural Aussies???:lol: In fact, 'mate' is heard a little more frequently among the men in the country, but I don't hear it a huge amount.

I think a lot of the stereotypical Aussie things are not really stereotypical at all! For instance, I'm not sure that I've ever heard anyone say G'day, but it's thought of as a completely Aussie greeting. Oh, in fact, I have heard someone say it....my dh when we were at a tourist destination (Wave Rock), and there was a few busloads of Japanese tourists...my dh, being the funny man he is, as we were passing them on the walk trail, kept waving & saying g'day! The Japanese were beaming & saying it back to him. I'm sure they were so excited to finally see one of the rare species 'aussius g'dayius'! I was so embarrassed, but my dh said it would probably make their trip!

Excuse me, Rosie, what were you saying about rural Aussies???:lol:

Nothing at all! I wouldn't want to offend Melissa, my favourite Gippslander! :D

I'm sure they were so excited to finally see one of the rare species 'aussius g'dayius'! I was so embarrassed, but my dh said it would probably make their trip!

Yeah, I think "mate" is another favourite of the Greek, Italian and Lebanese blokes in Melbourne. Other people might use it for purposes other than teasing tourists or trying to look ocker as a politician.

:lol:

Rosie

Excuse me, Rosie, what were you saying about rural Aussies???:lol: In fact, 'mate' is heard a little more frequently among the men in the country, but I don't hear it a huge amount.

I think a lot of the stereotypical Aussie things are not really stereotypical at all! For instance, I'm not sure that I've ever heard anyone say G'day, but it's thought of as a completely Aussie greeting. Oh, in fact, I have heard someone say it....my dh when we were at a tourist destination (Wave Rock), and there was a few busloads of Japanese tourists...my dh, being the funny man he is, as we were passing them on the walk trail, kept waving & saying g'day! The Japanese were beaming & saying it back to him. I'm sure they were so excited to finally see one of the rare species 'aussius g'dayius'! I was so embarrassed, but my dh said it would probably make their trip!

Speak for yourself! I say G'day and just about everyone I know says G'Day ( except DH who is Canadian, he tried once and I cracked up so much that he has never tried again).

I live in a rural area though.

I think lots of Queenslanders say Mate, at least all the ones that I have met do.

Speak for yourself! I say G'day and just about everyone I know says G'Day ( except DH who is Canadian, he tried once and I cracked up so much that he has never tried again).

I live in a rural area though.

I think lots of Queenslanders say Mate, at least all the ones that I have met do.

I am rural - in WA...and yeah - don't think I've ever heard g'day, and 'mate' not every day, anyway. Oh, well, it IS a big country!!:001_smile:

A funny about the different accents within Australia - we were in Italy a few years ago with an outback Q'lander couple....the Italians where we were spoke English very well, and could understand everyone, but couldn't understand the Qld couple!! They could get some bits, but we had to 'interpret' for them to be able to get it all!! :DI guess they had a very broad accent.

I was so glad to not hear G-day or mate when we were in Perth because it just doesn't role off my tongue well (with the slight English-Quebec accent that I have). Looking forward to finding a gluten-free and chocolate-free lamington recipe for next Australia day when we will actually have moved there (unless this stinking visa process drags out way longer than I think it is going to).