Menu

Do you/would you work in a profession that makes you

go against the grain of your personality?ie: Are you an introvert that is an ER nurse?

I have been mulling over doing something big, but for years I've been at this idle point with it, and I realized last night why-because it would go against everything I am.

Don't get me wrong, I would love doing it. It's something I feel utterly passionate about. But last night I realized that I would loose my sanity. There would not be enough of me to go around for my kids, for making my house stable and peaceful. I, who needs a day 'off' after going to the mall, would probably become comatose. But am I getting out of this with an excuse?

How far are you willing to go out of your comfort zone for your job?

Do you account your personality into your job decisions, or you just naturally went for a job that suited your personality?

I don't think you're making excuses. I think it's important to know your limits, so you don't end up stressed and exhausted.

It would be different if you were in a position where if you didn't take the job, your kids wouldn't have food and the mortgage wouldn't get paid, but because this is an optional thing for you, I think you should go with your gut.

Almost all of my jobs were extrovert jobs, and I am most definitely an introvert!

I did a lot of retail that took a lot of social energy, but I think the fact that customers came and went quickly made it... almost enjoyable.

Working daycare, where I had to deal with other people's kids All. Day. was horrible.

If you have the chance to do a "test run", I say go for it. If you have to make a big committment, maybe not.

I'm a severe introvert who absolutely HATES talking on the phone. I've worked retail including service desk and check-out supervisor, I've done phone surveys and I worked membership for a organization for financial executives that involved a lot of phone time. I've also worked as a nurses aide in a nursing home.

I managed both because I had no choice, I needed the job and the paycheck, and I could plan out the calls in my mind first and have almost a script to follow. The nursing home job was actually the absolute worse job I've ever had. It was way too far out of my comfort zone and there weren't the opportunities to take it slow and plan out actions to make it more comfortable. It was all unpredictable and constant activity.

Well, I taught school and I hate 1. Talking to a group of people 2. Being the center of attention. 3. Being a disciplinarian (really, you don't bother me and I won't bother you) 4. Doing paperwork. For all that, I didn't hate it and did a good job. I just wasn't sorry to "retire" when Dd was born. If I had to go back, I'd deal with it.

If you are considering nursing (and that wasn't just a random example) I imagine there are jobs out there within nursing that would more suit your personality. Some nurses even work in insurance companies (sitting at a desk looking at a computer).

Nooo! Nope. The only good I am if you get hurt is for me to cry for you. You don't want me as a nurse, I've become far too squeamish.

It was all unpredictable and constant activity.

I'm the same.

Well, I taught school and I hate 1. Talking to a group of people 2. Being the center of attention. 3. Being a disciplinarian (really, you don't bother me and I won't bother you) 4. Doing paperwork. For all that, I didn't hate it and did a good job. I just wasn't sorry to "retire" when Dd was born. If I had to go back, I'd deal with it.

But that was before you had kids-how would kids change it (because they require you to be emotionally available to them)?

I've found that I enjoy teaching as long as I have the time to plan ahead. I was a docent at a zoo for over 10 years. I did presentations to groups of visitors, I taught classes to new docents, I did tours. I could handle those because I knew my stuff. I was prepared, could answer questions and I was generally in control. I could make a plan and count on being able to follow it most of the time (there was the time a prairie dog got loose in a room full of people and I ended up getting bit but that was unusual ;)).

I've also been a Daisy/Brownie leader and I'm currently running a 4-H Cloverbud club. Both are different than the docenting because I'm dealing with a group of children rather than at least 1/2 adults but the same things applies. As long as I'm prepared and have things planned ahead I can handle it. Obviously with children there are a lot more chances for unexpected interruptions but most of the time it works out fine.

I was studying for a teaching degree before I started staying home with my younger two. I don't know for sure how it would have worked out since I never actually taught in a classroom but I think the same principles of being prepared would apply. I think I would have more trouble being a substitute teacher where I would be going in each day not sure of the situation and there may or may not be activities ready to go.

I'd only go back to teaching if my Dh was dead or disabled. At that point, it wouldn't be about me or my emotional availability. It would be about feeding my kids. I have thought about inhome daycare and decided it would negatively affect our family dynamic. I am considering offering a homeschool Spanish class once or twice a week (I did this when the older kids were little). That would only be 4-6 hours per week and my kids could participate. If there was enough interest, I'd even consider offering high school courses two to three times per week. I think more than 10 hours per week or more than 25-40 students would be to much at this point in my life.

go against the grain of your personality?ie: Are you an introvert that is an ER nurse?

I have been mulling over doing something big, but for years I've been at this idle point with it, and I realized last night why-because it would go against everything I am.

Don't get me wrong, I would love doing it. It's something I feel utterly passionate about. But last night I realized that I would loose my sanity. There would not be enough of me to go around for my kids, for making my house stable and peaceful. I, who needs a day 'off' after going to the mall, would probably become comatose. But am I getting out of this with an excuse?

How far are you willing to go out of your comfort zone for your job?

Do you account your personality into your job decisions, or you just naturally went for a job that suited your personality?

I hadn't really thought about introvert/extrovert related to a profession.

I am an introvert and was an ER nurse. I love teaching (a very big part of the nursing profession), and have never had any problems with any nursing professions that I have held. I have zero problems working with people on a professional level.

I'm an introvert who has held several extrovert jobs. I worked retail a lot, but that was a more controlled environment so I was okay.

My worst job was working in a large insurance company as an underwriting assistant. Yuck, that job went against every core of my being. I hate putting people into categories, I hated talking on the phone (we did that all day), and I hated being the bad guy (which we were). The people I worked with were great, the benefits were great, so I stayed until dh begged me to quit. We looked on the sixth floor and we could see people out during the day, it felt like a cage at times. This was before ds.

I'm an introvert who needed a job and took a job in a company where I needed to be an extrovert interacting with guests/customers my whole 10 hour shift. It was very hard at first, but I got better at it and even had fun. An office position opened up and I applied for it and got it. I'm much more comfortable doing what I do now, but at times during the day, I'm still required to be more of an extrovert.

This job has definitely helped me in my personal life. I can interact with clerks, etc. in stores and people in general much more comfortably. Just in general, I think it's opened me up and made me more willing to step out of my comfort zone, and I probably needed that.

there's a great book out there called "do what you are".... by paul tieger and barbara barron-tieger.

based on myers-briggs types, it indicates the jobs that work with how a personality is naturally using their strong suits..... not that you can't do other things, but just that these things "fit" our personalities well.

they might have "nursing" under several personality types, but with different specialties, and show which of your personality traits work well with those.

an example for me is that apparently i would be a great salesperson in person, which requires good communication skills and empathy, but a disaster as a mail order salesperson, which requires attention to detail that takes way too much of my energy and makes me grumpy.

its a fun read :001_smile:

ann

Well, I was thinking of starting a charter school. And that's just a huge undertaking where I would be OUT THERE and have to be -justifiably. And It's just that every 6 months or so, I pick this bone up and chew on it some more and I just want to move past it if I can.

But then I thought of how I would be exhausted when I got home, and how I wouldn't want to be around anyone at all and that's not fair to my family.

But I think this is it, I think I've moved past this at last.

Famous last words. :D

there's a great book out there called "do what you are".... by paul tieger and barbara barron-tieger.

based on myers-briggs types, it indicates the jobs that work with how a personality is naturally using their strong suits..... not that you can't do other things, but just that these things "fit" our personalities well.

they might have "nursing" under several personality types, but with different specialties, and show which of your personality traits work well with those.

an example for me is that apparently i would be a great salesperson in person, which requires good communication skills and empathy, but a disaster as a mail order salesperson, which requires attention to detail that takes way too much of my energy and makes me grumpy.

its a fun read :001_smile:

ann

That looks like a great book.

I'm an INFJ. I will lay myself on the ground and get run over for someone-I totally get that about myself, which is why I constantly have to give myself reality checks because my life is not all about me. :001_smile: I have 8 people that need me to not be sacrificing them for others who I feel are more needy (in this case kids who aren't getting a decent education).

My dh started and needed help in a business that TOTALLY goes against my grain. I don't deal well with stress...and stress is the middle name here. I also got my schooling in accounting and book keeping. I hate math...I hate collection calls, I hate dealing with money and banks...what was I thinking?? I was thinking this would be a job I could do while I stayed home with my kids and it has worked out that way.

Now, that I am doing this job...to assisst in our family business, I feel totally trapped by it. There is NO not doing it...we need to eat, survive, take care of our kids and medical bills etc. If I could, I would hire someone else to do it....but that is not in the cards right now.

I am not miserable, I do like many, many of our clients, and I enjoy that we can help people. That part is good. I try to focus on that and robotically do all the other stuff.

I would prefer a job doing research, or library work...something very quiet and just me....I am a terrible introvert, hjaving to be an extrovert daily...and it is wearing on me. If you DO have a choice, go for something that you can wear comfortably...someday, it may come down to you NEEDING to do it...and you want to be "stuick" in something you enjoy.

Faithe

My dh started and needed help in a business that TOTALLY goes against my grain. I don't deal well with stress...and stress is the middle name here. I also got my schooling in accounting and book keeping. I hate math...I hate collection calls, I hate dealing with money and banks...what was I thinking?? I was thinking this would be a job I could do while I stayed home with my kids and it has worked out that way.

Now, that I am doing this job...to assisst in our family business, I feel totally trapped by it. There is NO not doing it...we need to eat, survive, take care of our kids and medical bills etc. If I could, I would hire someone else to do it....but that is not in the cards right now.

I am not miserable, I do like many, many of our clients, and I enjoy that we can help people. That part is good. I try to focus on that and robotically do all the other stuff.

I would prefer a job doing research, or library work...something very quiet and just me....I am a terrible introvert, hjaving to be an extrovert daily...and it is wearing on me. If you DO have a choice, go for something that you can wear comfortably...someday, it may come down to you NEEDING to do it...and you want to be "stuick" in something you enjoy.

Faithe

:grouphug:

This is exactly how I see myself if I start the school. Exactly.

But I also remember having to be out there all the time (before I understood I was introverted) and I remember how painful it was.

I agree. Most jobs are involved in serving others and I think it's very important that you serve people in the best way YOU can. Sometimes it's more behind the scenes (me!) and that's OK. Knowing your limits and allowing yourself to be stretched just enough that you're growing but can still do your job WELL is a service to those you will be working with, for, and yourself! :)