Menu

Fever for how long...

...before you take them in?

My nearly-8-month-old started getting a runny nose Thursday night. He was congested with cough early Friday morning and he spiked a fever. His fevers are worse at night and Saturday night the only way I could get it down (at 103.8 :001_huh:) was to piggy-back Tylenol and Motrin. He's not as bad today, but still feverish at times, still congested and still miserable. If he's like this in the AM, I'd like to take him. My husband told me it'd be a little silly to take him in for a fever and congestion. :glare:

I'm not silly, right? It has been four full days of fever!

With such a little guy, definitely time to take him in. I'd probably take them in after 48 hours or so, if not sooner, especially with it getting that high.

After 4 days, I'd be considering bringing my bigger ones in, but it definitely sounds like it's time to get your little one looked at.

A fever in a child that young, for four days? Yes, take him in!

I agree. My youngest just had some illness where she was feverish off & on for a couple of days. I was about to call her ped on day 4 when her fever broke. For a child as young as your little one, I call the ped on day 2-3. :grouphug:

My nearly-8-month-old started getting a runny nose Thursday night. He was congested with cough early Friday morning and he spiked a fever. His fevers are worse at night and Saturday night the only way I could get it down (at 103.8 :001_huh:) was to piggy-back Tylenol and Motrin. He's not as bad today, but still feverish at times, still congested and still miserable. If he's like this in the AM, I'd like to take him. My husband told me it'd be a little silly to take him in for a fever and congestion. :glare:

Not silly, take him in. 3-4 days of fever and it's time to suspect a bacterial infection is brewing.

It's probably not it, but my son had a fever(he was 5 months old at the time-he's 8 months now) for 4 days. They admitted him to the hospital immediately after I brought him to the doctor and he was diagnosed on the 5th day with Kawasaki disease. If not treated, it can affect the heart and cause anyeurisms...Please take him in. Kawasaki is diagnosed by symptoms, not by a specific blood test(although they do have some they use)...he could have atypical Kawasaki....

The classical symptom all doctors look for in Kawasaki is 5 days of fever.

I don't play with fevers. They can go raging in a matter of minutes. Fever means something is not right and he would have went to the doc before the weekend.

In the OP's case, I would be taking the baby especially because of the age and how high the temps are.

However, fever is a natural response of the immune system. They are normal and have a very good use. It is when they consistently stay high and don't resolve that I know there may have a problem and need further medical care. With infants, you have to be more careful.

I would have had him at the doctor's office the first day he had a fever. I know I'm kind of a nut, but I don't take chances with high fevers, particularly with babies.