Menu

Planning Slump

I would say for the past few weeks I have been in a planning slump. It started before Christmas, I was really in need of a break. Now post holidays, I find that I am not motivated to put everything together ahead of time like the math manipulatives needed, writitng on the math strip, getting out flash cards for reading lessons etc. But I know if I wait to do those things the day of it will slow us down.

Next year I am planning to go with a program that is all planned out and will require little planning from me. (Which is probably not true because nothing is perfect out of the box for everyone.) But how do I manage in the meantime. I have got to make it until May and I have no motivation. We use a variation on the workbox system which helps me get tons done during the day but filling the boxes for my pre-schooler and prepping reading, history, etc for my son. I am lacking seriously here and I don't want to but that's reality.

Two weeks ago I told my husband I did not feel like planning. Why did I say that? He panicked and went on and on about how I can't say things like that because he is depending on me to do what I need to do to give the boys a solid education and if I slack then the boys are going to school. :glare: (Okay, he is not the one to share with.)

How do you get past your slumps?

Well, honestly....this is the time of year for them. I'm just now getting ready to get all my plans straightened out for this week.

It's one of those things that ebbs and flows. Sometimes you'll be so excited to plan school, search for curriculum, do school with the kiddos and sometimes.....you won't. LOL

The best thing to do is just put one foot in front of the other. I give myself little pep talks and remind myself that even if it isn't something I want to do, it makes my day go SO much more smoothly when I've organized things. Otherwise school just deteriorates around me the next day. Worksheets aren't completed because I have to stop and make copies. Stories aren't read because I can't find the dang book. Science experiments aren't done because I'm out of aluminum foil, or baking soda, or whatever we need at that moment to make it work. Then it's no fun for anyone.

Also, the more things I've planned out, the less time school takes and the more time I have for me to do fun stuff.

So when I'm in a slump, I look at it as a chore....like cleaning the bathroom. :lol: Just something I have to do. And the slump will end, I promise.

Quite normal.

It happens to all of us, honestly. ;) Call it post-Christmas blues. Then in Spring, you'll be dying for Spring Break. And by May, counting down the days to June.

When I taught as a full time schoolteacher, this happened to many teachers too. Chocolate helps or sometimes you have to take a "mental health" day, kwim? Then pick up where you left off and keep chugging along. Hang in there! :grouphug:

Here's how I get out of my slump...I put on some loud music for an hour and bop around the house doing stuff...then I work on planning for an hour. Then repeat. I know it sounds crazy...but music is good for slumps! I also get the house nice and tidy...so basically killing two birds with one stone. ;)

Quite normal.

It happens to all of us, honestly. ;) Call it post-Christmas blues. Then in Spring, you'll be dying for Spring Break. And by May, counting down the days to June.

When I taught as a full time schoolteacher, this happened to many teachers too. Chocolate helps or sometimes you have to take a "mental health" day, kwim? Then pick up where you left off and keep chugging along. Hang in there! :grouphug:

I will pick up some chocolate!

Here's how I get out of my slump...I put on some loud music for an hour and bop around the house doing stuff...then I work on planning for an hour. Then repeat. I know it sounds crazy...but music is good for slumps! I also get the house nice and tidy...so basically killing two birds with one stone. ;)

This is a great idea, my boys would like to dance with or see mom dance.:lol:

Thanks ladies for the suggestions.

You could always go unplanned for a week or two unplanned. You could read, go to the library, go to a museum, and just play games for math. It is in between a vacation and schooling and is a nice break when the winter blues hit.

This too is a great idea. I am collecting ideas that I can implement. Originally I thought I could do a unit study which is a break from our current line up but I like the library books and math games.

I thought your post title suggested that you were planning a slump! I think that we should do exactly that - plan some 'slump' days!:D

I will take this into consideration. Generally we school several weeks and then have a week off but since the holidays are over we have quite a stretch ahead of us. I have gone through all of our curriculum and created a plan so that we can finish it all with the exception of STOW. (There are just too many chapters left) So my type A personality makes me feel guilty if we are not following the schedule. Crazy I know, but its the way I'm wired.

If you are like me you look at how many chapters or lessons are left in a subject, say Oh @#&%, and start consolidating. Do we really need a 6th book on Egypt? 4 weeks of classification, or should we start dissection already. So I panic, and then make a plan. Another trick that helps is to start looking at next year, to get excited about teaching again.

Well, I'm not having a planning slump, but a doing slump. I think skip the planning part. Just get some great books for read alouds, or find good audio books, get some crafty stuff, and let them craft or draw while listening to stories. Take a field trip. Spend quality time at the library. Or, follow Bravewriter Lifestyle for a couple of weeks. Dh can see that you're doing language arts and you don't have to plan it. School still gets done. Everyone chills, learns a bit, and has some fun.

http://www.bravewriter.com/bwl

Well, I'm not having a planning slump, but a doing slump. I think skip the planning part. Just get some great books for read alouds, or find good audio books, get some crafty stuff, and let them craft or draw while listening to stories. Take a field trip. Spend quality time at the library. Or, follow Bravewriter Lifestyle for a couple of weeks. Dh can see that you're doing language arts and you don't have to plan it. School still gets done. Everyone chills, learns a bit, and has some fun.

http://www.bravewriter.com/bwl

I keep seeing hearing about bravewriter but I have not had to chance to check it out thanks for the link.