Menu

K math: Horizons or SM?

plain jane

If you had to choose between the 2 for K, which would you use:  

1. 1. If you had to choose between the 2 for K, which would you use:

• Horizons K
    • SM Earlybird Standards Ed.

I need to admit defeat and face my limitations. RS A is simply not getting done around here. :(

I love RS A but I need a workbook for math. I know I'll still have to be there while he works on math but it'll be less teacher intensive overall.

My plan is to use SM Standards once in grade 1 but I'm not sure what to use for K. I've only ever used Horizons K and RS A and have no experience with SM Earlybird.

I'm leaning towards Horizons because I don't want to buy 4 different books like I'll have to do with SM. I've also used it before and I remember it being pretty fun and covered a lot.

Is there any reason to not use Horizons K or any compelling reasons that I should use SM Earlybird for math instead?

Why is the Essential Math preferred over the Earlybird series?

I used Earlybird and I found it geared towards a classroom setting. Plus, I bought the activity books, which didn't add anything to the curriculum. We didn't have problems using Earlybird, but I think other SM users preferred Essentials.

:iagree: I know how confusing it is when people start posting other suggestions! I used both Earlybird and Horizons K with DD. I am now using Essential Math for DS and it wins, hands down :)

I used Earlybird & Horizons K (book 1) with dd#2. :glare: Never again.

She went through Earlybird like gang-bustas & it didn't stick a bit. I personally disliked the emphasis on writing number words. :ack2:

Horizons K went REALLY FAST. We kept having to stop & go back through things. It seemed that sometimes we'd spend a week on something before going onto the next lesson. I think Horizons is a good curriculum, but start it with Horizons 1, not the K books. :(

I love using a Miquon-like approach for K-math. You have a workbook if you need it. You have a guide (the First Grade Diary) if you need it. Otherwise, you have an awesome approach that is incredible to experience and leads well into SM 1 (from what I've read elsewhere - since we don't use SM). My dd#3 has a much better understanding of math fundamentals at her age than the other two did then.

We did both Horizons K and Essential Math. Both DS and I liked both (and they both got the job done). We alternated... on no real schedule. We simply switched between whenever we felt like it.

I was never crazy about how each Horizons lesson covered so many unrelated topics. It never bothered DS. Whenever we would do Horizons, DS always wanted to do several lessons per day. I did like that it covered topics that EM ignored.

EM took a topic and stuck with it for several lessons. DS didn't mind that approach either.

If I had to choose one to do over again, I'd probably go with EM, but that's not because there's anything wrong with Horizons K, though.

I've never used Earlybird, so I'm sorry to not actually be able to answer about that one.

I honestly haven't been much impressed with the Singapore materials I've looked at---but I'm thinking Essentials, combined with c-rods and a gentle intro into Miquon Orange may be effective for k. Could also throw in some MEP as well? Also Kumon books are great for filling in gaps in any curriculum imo.

Honestly, I think because Essentials is cheaper. Price tends to rule.

We use Earlybird here (with teacher's manual) and absolutely love it. I've looked at Essentials and don't see how it would beat out Earlybird, especially with a younger learner.

Earlybird does have some classroom activities in it, but a lot are easy to scale to individual use. Or, just skip the classroom stuff. There's still plenty more activities to use. Just choose the ones that work for you. You don't necessarily have to do them in the exact same order either. We rarely do the conclusion activities. And, we even more rarely do every single activity for a lesson. We always do the textbook stuff, of course. We started out using the activity book, but dropped it, as DD didn't need the extra practice. We also started out reading the little stories (The Tortoise and the Hair, etc.), but dropped those as well.

DD is 4.5 years old and does wonderfully with SM Earlybird. What's better? She loves it! We're working on number bonds at the moment.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. I'm very partial. :tongue_smilie:

PS - We modified the learning-to-write numbers section since we use HWOT and their numbers are written differently. We simply practiced writing numbers on our own paper, when we needed.

Why is the Essential Math preferred over the Earlybird series?

I used this. Aidan started playing tye computer games at 4.5 and we started the book for Kindergarten. We also used some hand manipulatives. We finished the book in a little over a year and he tested into Singapore 2a (only because we had not covered the multiplication.

It Is great for pictorial learning. It also covers time and fractions. I think it worked well for K. Plus, it is cheap.