Menu

How do you heat up frozen breastmilk?

I'm currently breastfeeding my third child, but I've never run across this issue.

Next Thursday I'm having gallbladder surgery. I hope to be able to nurse my 2 month old immediately before surgery and right when I wake up enough after surgery. However, my mom and husband will be there during the surgery (which usually takes 1-1.5 hours, plus "waking up" time) to watch the baby. So she may need two bottles. I've been freezing some breastmilk. At home, I know I can run it under hot water to warm it up. But we won't be at home....we'll be at the surgery center. How will they be able to warm the bottles? Not sure if there will be hot water there (yes, I've been in bathrooms where there is cold water only).

Should I thaw them beforehand? And the just refrigerate them until needed? Maybe use a bottle warmer? I plan to bring them in a small cooler with ice packs.

I'm just wondering the best way for them to be able to give her milk while I'm in surgery.

I would thaw the milk before, and have it cold but liquid on ice in a cooler. Then, either check out the surgery center in advance to see if there is hot water available in the bathroom, or bring a thermos of hot water. The bottle can be slipped right into the thermos for heating.

If they are going to be waiting at the surgery center and she'll need to eat, I would bring bottles of breast milk already thawed. Keep them in an insulated bag with an ice pack until she's ready to eat. Hopefully she'll drink them cold if there is no way to heat them.

Good luck with your surgery! Gall bladder problems are awful. :grouphug:

If they are going to be waiting at the surgery center and she'll need to eat, I would bring bottles of breast milk already thawed. Keep them in an insulated bag with an ice pack until she's ready to eat. Hopefully she'll drink them cold if there is no way to heat them.

:iagree: Hopefully the bathroom will have hot water. Or maybe they'll have a coffee/tea station where you could get some hot water.

You know you're not supposed to microwave it, right? :001_smile:

Will you be inside a hospital or is this a dedicated outpatient surgery center? If it's inside a hospital, they might have access to a cafeteria too.

Edited by LemonPie

Once I stopped nursing and had to go back to work, I had stored up lots of milk for the freezer.

I froze it in ice cube trays (about an ounce per cube) and then transferred them to ziploc freezer bags.

I worked with my son to get him accustomed to room-temperature milk. It saves a LOT of hassle; have you tried giving it too him at room temp?

I used Dr. Brown's bottles (wide mouth to accommodate the cubes). I'd put the cubes in the bottles in the morning and had the daycare leave them out.

The first couple feedings, they needed to run the bottle under hot water to take the chill off.

By the time the afternoon feeding came around, the last bottle was at room temp and ready to feed.

Good luck with your surgery! Gall bladder problems are awful. :grouphug:

:iagree:

And like pp mentioned, do not microwave it!

:iagree: Hopefully the bathroom will have hot water. Or maybe they'll have a coffee/tea station where you could get some hot water.

You know you're not supposed to microwave it, right? :001_smile:

Will you be inside a hospital or is this a dedicated outpatient surgery center? If it's inside a hospital, they might have access to a cafeteria too.

It is a dedicated outpatient surgery center, so no cafeteria.

Yes, I do know that microwaving is a big no-no for breastmilk.

Thanks everyone! Looks like I'll thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and bring it with ice packs in liquid form.

Actually, I'll be in the vicinity of the surgery center tomorrow so I may swing in and take a look in their bathrooms for hot water LOL.

Bring one thawed, at least, you can keep the other frozen... (but won't you be out and have to throw your first milk out? not up on the latest recommendations) Anyway, there's always hot coffee in hospitals, right? I would ask what they can do. You can microwave hot water, and set the bottle into the water.... I would plan on taking my own "dish/container" to put the ziplock/plastic milk container into. Also, I would have my husband or someone give a few bottles before then. I loved the Avent. My daughter and son switched back and forth great with it. BTW, you could ask to borrow someone's bottle warmer for the day. Or get one of the ones for the car. Those are great to have :) (The ones you plug into the spot in the car)

Bring one thawed, at least, you can keep the other frozen... (but won't you be out and have to throw your first milk out? not up on the latest recommendations) Anyway, there's always hot coffee in hospitals, right? I would ask what they can do. You can microwave hot water, and set the bottle into the water.... I would plan on taking my own "dish/container" to put the ziplock/plastic milk container into. Also, I would have my husband or someone give a few bottles before then. I loved the Avent. My daughter and son switched back and forth great with it. BTW, you could ask to borrow someone's bottle warmer for the day. Or get one of the ones for the car. Those are great to have :) (The ones you plug into the spot in the car)

From what I've read (and I've researched this a lot), I can nurse her as soon as I'm awake enough. If I'm awake, then the anesthesia has pretty much left my body. There would only be trace amounts left.

Good idea about bringing my own container for the hot water!

And I never thought about microwaving the water. When I check out the surgery center I'll see if they have hot water in the bathroom or a microwave to stick the water in.

I pumped milk and kept it cold and not frozen right before surgery and I also had frozen. It can be thawed under warm running water. When I had surgery in March, I never needed it, though. I nursed right before and right after surgery.

I talked to a doctor and 2 anesthesiologists (and read Dr.Hale's words) and yes, you are fine as soon as you are awake from surgery. That means enough is out of your system that it is safe-no different than with c-sections.

I would preferably leave the baby home. Medical offices are known for being a bit germy, and I wouldn't want to expose the baby to anything I didn't have to.

I would take some hot water with me in a thermos or insulated water bottle. I seal the bottle with the little plastic plug that comes with most bottles and drop it in the hot water until luke warm. I don't put on the nipple until I am ready to use it. I would also take a bowl to put the water/bottle in.

If you don't have a insulated bottle to put water in, you may be able to take a coffee pot or hot water kettle with you. Just make sure to see if there is a plug in available.

If there is hot coffee available, you could use the coffee to warm it if you have to. Just take a towel that can be stained to wipe the bottle off.

Definitely over pump to make sure you have enough in case of complications and you need to bottle feed longer than expected. Have you researched how long you will need to refrain from breast feeding after the surgery (due to the anesthesia passing into the milk)?

I would also start feeding the baby now from a bottle to get them used to it. I know some babies are harder than others to make the adjustment and then the caretaker is stuck with a crying infant.

Oh, and I know the strict rule about microwaving, but let's be honest. A quick heat up followed by a thorough shaking to avoid any hot spots--not ideal but it worked great for me in a pinch when I was pumping. :leaving:

I've done it several times - low low temp and shake up, and a finger poke to feel the temperature.

The hot spots & cold spots mix and it works fine.

I would preferably leave the baby home. Medical offices are known for being a bit germy, and I wouldn't want to expose the baby to anything I didn't have to.

I would take some hot water with me in a thermos or insulated water bottle. I seal the bottle with the little plastic plug that comes with most bottles and drop it in the hot water until luke warm. I don't put on the nipple until I am ready to use it. I would also take a bowl to put the water/bottle in.

If you don't have a insulated bottle to put water in, you may be able to take a coffee pot or hot water kettle with you. Just make sure to see if there is a plug in available.

If there is hot coffee available, you could use the coffee to warm it if you have to. Just take a towel that can be stained to wipe the bottle off.

Definitely over pump to make sure you have enough in case of complications and you need to bottle feed longer than expected. Have you researched how long you will need to refrain from breast feeding after the surgery (due to the anesthesia passing into the milk)?

I would also start feeding the baby now from a bottle to get them used to it. I know some babies are harder than others to make the adjustment and then the caretaker is stuck with a crying infant.

Outpatient surgery centers and common sense will keep any illnesses at bay. Obviously at 2 months old, baby probably won't be crawling on the floor. If it was an inpatient deal and not just a surgical floor, it might be best to leave baby at home, but not for outpatient.

If baby doesn't take the bottle, use finger or cup feedings. It's easy to look up, even on youtube. Many won't take bottles (like my last 3!). So make sure your dh knows how to feed in other ways.

I just recently had gallbladder surgery. Honestly, I wouldn't have been able to breastfeed a baby immediately post-op. I was groggy until I was home. Just something to think about.

Some info on breastmilk storage. FWIW, I had one of my children refused previously frozen EBM. She would only drink small amounts of fresh EBM when I worked.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

Another option is to feed the baby frequently the night before you go in and plan on feeding frequently once you get home.

Best of luck!

Oh, and I know the strict rule about microwaving, but let's be honest. A quick heat up followed by a thorough shaking to avoid any hot spots--not ideal but it worked great for me in a pinch when I was pumping. :leaving:

:iagree:

I worked full time after having my first. He ate as much expressed milk as he did direct feed :). There were plenty of microwaved bottles in there. Just shake thoroughly. All the hot water ideas work too.

Btw when feeding frozen breast milk, the milk will separate and you'll want to shake well anyway.