Menu

PE credit question

What beyond going to the gym should I do? We plan on doing an advanced anatomy course (probably Apologia) for an elective in 11th or 12th but should I include that in our PE credit instead? We live in Wy if that makes a difference- I can't find a whole lot about it though.

ETA: Ok so I found this and apparently its not required in our state but we want to do one anyways. So what would be included for a good/solid PE credit?

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

You can use ANY sort of sport and count it as PE.

My kids get their PE credit fort rock climbing, mountaineering or horseback riding.

Just make sure not to double dip - if it count's for PE, don't count it as extracurricular as well.

What kinds of physical activities do your kids engage in?

I don't see why it has to be a structured class-like program.

I was just looking at this yesterday. Texas' requirements for substitution activities (like working out at a gym or team sports) state that they "must include at least 100 minutes per five-day school of week of moderate to vigorous physical activity".

We can also substitute a course such as (1) Foundations of Personal Fitness or (2) Adventure/Outdoor Education. But we don't seem to offer a PE credit for any type of Anatomy or Health course.

We got our PE credit through "dance" and "archery" and anything fitness related (brisk walking, going to the pool and actually swimming, raking leaves all day several days (it got her heart rate up), going to the gym and doing cardio machines and/or weight machine (not my preference, but she likes it...)

After about 100-120 hours of activity, I was fine awarding PE credit in 9th grade.

This year we will put archery on her "portfolio" as a sport. I'm still wrapping my brain on that one - my daughter moves from Indiana to TN and now owns a compound bow and shoots in a homeschool archery league.

ah.. if I could only get her to do jazzercise with me..... I teach it.

so I award the PE class not for structured, formal class, but for real life and lifestyle credit.

-crystal

Back in the '70s when I was taking gym in hs, there was no book work involved. After dressing out, & taking roll there wasn't much time left for actually activity.

For my dc, we counted team sports (x-country, swim) along w/running 5ks, and sailing.

My son is training for a few 5K's for his PE credit. He will run one in February for this year. We will work toward faster times each race his Sophomore year as he will be running one in September, October, February 2013 and a 15K in May 2013. Then we will train for a triathlon his junior year, and a half-marathon for his senior year PE credit. He will be reading some training books to help with these events as well.

My dd is only in middle school now, but she will do the same thing. I like registering them for actual events as goals and recorded times. It pushes them toward meeting goals and personal bests. Keeps us accountable to be doing what they are getting credit for. Around here, student athletes don't have to take PE as well - their athletics count as their PE credit, so that is what I am modeling my plan after. I will make a quilt out of their racing tshirts when they graduate. :lol:

You can use ANY sort of sport and count it as PE.

My kids get their PE credit fort rock climbing, mountaineering or horseback riding.

Just make sure not to double dip - if it count's for PE, don't count it as extracurricular as well.

What kinds of physical activities do your kids engage in?

I don't see why it has to be a structured class-like program.

We do alot of hiking in the summer/ fall but can't do much other than the guy in the winter because it gets crazy cold out side here in the winter months (with regular blizzards in May :glare:) Spring/Summer doesn't really start here til Early to mid June. 3 years before we moved here it snowed (didn't stick) on the 4th of July.

I'd add CPR and FA classes, because I think everyone should have them!

CPR class is a great idea! Thanks. What is FA?

We do alot of hiking in the summer/ fall but can't do much other than the guy in the winter because it gets crazy cold out side here in the winter months (with regular blizzards in May :glare:) Spring/Summer doesn't really start here til Early to mid June. 3 years before we moved here it snowed (didn't stick) on the 4th of July.

So, who says PE has to be spread evenly over the year?

You can do a whole biology credit in a summer crash course - why not PE?

Edited by regentrude

What beyond going to the gym should I do? We plan on doing an advanced anatomy course (probably Apologia) for an elective in 11th or 12th but should I include that in our PE credit instead? We live in Wy if that makes a difference- I can't find a whole lot about it though.

ETA: Ok so I found this and apparently its not required in our state but we want to do one anyways. So what would be included for a good/solid PE credit?

The anatomy is more of a Health course. My boys are doing Health right now with a textbook, CPR class and other projects.. As far as PE, the only way I could get it done here was to enroll my boys in pe at the cc. I know that sounds silly, but they just couldn't/wouldn't keep track of hours. It only cost 30 dollars for them to have a semester worth of racquetball. That was worth it to me!!!

Dd did Kung Fu (about 20-30 hrs a week). She took several classes a week, and she taught a few classes. She also jog/walk 3-4 times a week (about 5 miles each time) and did daily stretching exercises outside of her kung fu classes. She also did a lot of "fun" activities just for fun (basketball, skateboarding, swimming, bike riding, etc). She talked with her Sifu about being healthy and fit every week or so also.

Ds did Kung Fu (about 4 hrs a week), bowling league (about 2 hrs a week), walk/jog a few times a week. He also did regular exercises at home and PT (physical test) in Civil Air Patrol.

They did a separate health course for a one time half credit in 9th grade. The PE credit I gave them a full credit for 9th and 10th grade. It really wasn't required credit per Illinois, but in IL public school students do four years of PE/Health/Drivers Ed and these count as 4 credits of their high school graduation credits. Now that we are in PA, they only count 1/4 credit a year for PE, but either way, we are covered as it isn't required for homeschool credits. Ds is attending public cyber school in PA and they accepted his two credits of PE and 1/2 credit health and that is all he is required for their graduation in this area.

Edited by AnitaMcC

In my son's college, they have "lifetime fitness" classes instead of "PE." I really think that's a great way to look at it. So either exposing your kids to a variety of cardio activities or ideally, having them create a healthy exercise plan and stick to it is the way to go, imo.

In our state, PE means exercise--not academics.

In our state, PE means exercise--not academics.

I think the academic part for me, and for my older public schooled kids, had more to do with learning techniques, methods, health benefits, safety precautions, making a fitness plan, etc. So even if you were bowling, you didn't just bowl, but learned how to hold the ball, how to score, etc.

Some kids just do this naturally (my boys), while some need an outlined plan of attack (my dd) and a lot more purposeful teaching.

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

At my high school in the 90s, there were specific "lifetime sports" classes that offered semester-long credits for bowling (indoors!), golf, and ... I can't remember what else.

Our PE also included "health" - which was a 30 minute class once per week on drug (use), healthy eating, first aid, and some anatomy/body-change/safe-sex stuff.

I think the academic part for me, and for my older public schooled kids, had more to do with learning techniques, methods, health benefits, safety precautions, making a fitness plan, etc. So even if you were bowling, you didn't just bowl, but learned how to hold the ball, how to score, etc.

Some kids just do this naturally (my boys), while some need an outlined plan of attack (my dd) and a lot more purposeful teaching.

Julie

This is kinda what I am looking for. Is there anything for this??

This is kinda what I am looking for. Is there anything for this??

Well this is going back 10 years in my memory banks (dd turned 25 yesterday), so I don't know how much I remember.

Trainer: I think the YMCA had a program at the time where they trained her on machines and set up an online fitness plan, where she would check in what she did, and follow progress online. (A student membership at our Y is now about $30 a month; they also offer classes but my dd wouldn't take them.) I tried to get her to do the presidential fitness challenge, but she couldn't get past the fact that she didn't want to run 600 yards or whatever it was.

Internet: When she'd go to homeschool bowling day or something, I'd look up rules and tips online, and we'd go over those. I think I also used the internet when we went to her big brother's hockey and her little brother's soccer, so she'd understand the rules of the game she was watching etc. (I know she's continued the habit into adulthood, learning the rules of football when she was hanging around a Sunday football-watching crowd :) .) I know with bowling and some of those less big-time sports, there is a LOT of info online from organizations promoting the sport. (A local family bowling alley offered homeschool day for just $2 a game, including shoes.)

Classes: I signed her up for the homeschool ski/snowboard day lessons, and there was a safety training at the beginning, a class, and then some general info in the brochures and such to go over. It seems like she did some other little class, too. (Homeschool ski day here is usually about $17 for rental, lift, and class.)

Books: She continued to read her figure skating books because she used to be a figure skater, and then I tried to get her out on the ice a few times. I have a lot of homeschool phy ed books on the shelves, but I don't remember really using any of them, unless it was to work on her personal exercise plan. We did use a couple of library books on individual sports, and I think a DK book.

HTH,

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN
cost