Menu

Curriculum that can be done independently

mo2

Well, I think it depends on the child and their age; how much they're able to focus, etc. A child can read the Singapore lesson themself and do the work, especially at a younger age (if able to read, focus, etc.), but a parent will probably need to work with them on mental math and other such things. I guess MUS would be the most doable totally alone.

I think Easy Grammar can be done alone pretty well. I think Spelling Workout can be done alone (you just need someone to give the test on Friday).

For what ages, please? I'm not sure what subjects you're covering....

Handwriting practice can be done alone - but if someone isn't there to correct strokes made improperly, it might build bad habits in a younger child.

I like The Complete Book of Time and Money for some math work if you have younger children doing that sort of work:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Time-Money/dp/1561895008

This series of books are all so big they can be used for multiple years. Or you can tear out the perforated pages and use the simpler ones with a younger child and the more complex ones with an older child.

I like The Complete Book of Maps and Geography, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Maps-Geography-Grades/dp/0769685595/ref=dp_ob_image_bk

If they're reading, they could read books related to various countries (or states) and use the workbook for general map skills....

Also, if you needed science work that a younger child could read on their own, then the complete series has some things you could use for that, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Animals/dp/156189544X

This book has readings (with color pictures) and some connect the dots, coloring, etc. There are a few comprehension questions here and there, but not many. If you wanted to use this with a child who is a little older, you could pair worksheets from the animal section of the Complete Book of Science book from the same series:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Science-Grades-3-4/dp/1561895024

(They have this out for grades 1/2, 3/4, and 5/6).... It can be used multiple years with you just pulling out those pages covering topics you are studying for the year....

I would pair these with books about the animals being studied, movies to watch about the animals, etc.

Most of the Kumon books can be. We've used several, including the cursive letters books.

Winning With Writing

Math Mammoth

Galore Park Junior English

Galore Park Junior Science

The Complete Book of United States History and The Complete Book of Maps and Geography, if the child is a good reader.

WWS is pretty independent for my son, so far, anyway. It is written to the student, and the teacher's manual is well laid out on how to answer questions if the student gets stuck.

Chalkdust pre-algebra has been independent for my son, as well.

History Odyssey, at least at level 2-3, is written to the student.

Rod and Staff spelling has been pretty independent for both my natural speller and my just learning to spell, not natural speller. I give the test of course once a week, and I spend a little time studying the words w/my non natural speller. But they do the workbook work alone.

I agree on the Complete Book of Maps and Geography. My dd does this on her own to supplement SOTW.

They do handwriting worksheets mostly alone, though I do help my youngest still to make sure she is forming correctly, getting ready for cursive.

That's about it here, off the top of my head.

If you're the poster I'm thinking of who might have Grandma babysit while working in the afternoons, I would suggest Sonlight for any of your dc who are excellent readers. They could do their reading under Grandma's supervision, and you could do the maps, timelines, and discussion with them the next morning.

The same for Sonlight science. It's reading and a worksheet, open and go, and usually only one experiment per week. Your dc could work on their own if they are good readers. You can look at their work daily.

So your school morning would consist of working one-on-one with your dc in English, math, and Latin, and looking over and discussing their Sonlight work from the day before. (History, geography, literature, science.)

Start there, see how you do, and then think how to add music, art, and whatever else you want to get done.

Thanks for all the sugestions! I've made a list and will start researching them.

If you're the poster I'm thinking of who might have Grandma babysit while working in the afternoons, I would suggest Sonlight for any of your dc who are excellent readers. They could do their reading under Grandma's supervision, and you could do the maps, timelines, and discussion with them the next morning.

The same for Sonlight science. It's reading and a worksheet, open and go, and usually only one experiment per week. Your dc could work on their own if they are good readers. You can look at their work daily.

So your school morning would consist of working one-on-one with your dc in English, math, and Latin, and looking over and discussing their Sonlight work from the day before. (History, geography, literature, science.)

Start there, see how you do, and then think how to add music, art, and whatever else you want to get done.

Yep, that's me! I'm not sure my dd could handle all the reading in Sonlight on her own. I'll give it some thought, though.

I like The Complete Book of Time and Money for some math work if you have younger children doing that sort of work:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Time-Money/dp/1561895008

This series of books are all so big they can be used for multiple years. Or you can tear out the perforated pages and use the simpler ones with a younger child and the more complex ones with an older child.

I like The Complete Book of Maps and Geography, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Maps-Geography-Grades/dp/0769685595/ref=dp_ob_image_bk

If they're reading, they could read books related to various countries (or states) and use the workbook for general map skills....

Also, if you needed science work that a younger child could read on their own, then the complete series has some things you could use for that, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Animals/dp/156189544X

This book has readings (with color pictures) and some connect the dots, coloring, etc. There are a few comprehension questions here and there, but not many. If you wanted to use this with a child who is a little older, you could pair worksheets from the animal section of the Complete Book of Science book from the same series:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Science-Grades-3-4/dp/1561895024

(They have this out for grades 1/2, 3/4, and 5/6).... It can be used multiple years with you just pulling out those pages covering topics you are studying for the year....

I would pair these with books about the animals being studied, movies to watch about the animals, etc.

I've already got a few of the Complete Books around here. We're using the Complete Book of Maps and Geography and I think I may pull the others out too.

Thank you everyone.

I agree with the recommendations for TT and WWS. Here are a few more:

R&S English is very doable as an independent. The TM is wonderful if you do want to use it though. Pretty much pick up and go, it's so well laid out.

Spelling Workout is very independent.

Vocabulary from Classical Roots (VFCR) is another good one for grades 4 and up. NOTE: The Instructor's Guide (full version) is designed for classroom use. The Answer Key is really all you need.

Apologia Science is also very doable as an independent study. I'd recommend being involved at least once a week if possible for discussions and/or experiments, but the Fulbright books for elementary students, as well as the middle and high school levels are all easily done without a lot of teaching time.

For high school level, My Father's World (MFW) is designed to be very independent.

Blessings,

Lucinda