Menu

Do you like BJ's Wholesale?

We don't live anywhere near a Costco and I've never been in a Sam's.

I also haven't been in a BJs since I was a kid, but my mom did a lot there. She and my sister share a membership now, and we're getting one through DH's work next month. I'm excited! Mom and sis have been finding a lot there that we use/eat: K-cups, Annie's, organic yogurt, batteries. She's even found some gems among the children's books.

Anyway, I'm especially interested in the organic selection. We have Wegman's in our area and that's very good, but there are some things they don't have that I know BJ's does, and I've been comparing prices. BJ's does win for some things...or at least matches Wegs.

In another month, I should have some more helpful info. I'm curious what others say as well. :bigear:

Edited by Zuzu822
Typo

We use them and I like them better than Sam's Club (never done Costco). Ours will give you a full refund of your membership anytime during the 12 months if you are not satisfied! We purchased it mostly for the K cups - we haven't found them as cheap anywhere else. They also have a good deal on soap and shampoo that we use. My dds love Babybel cheese and it's a good deal there as well. Ours also has local produce sometimes. They also send out lots of coupons. We're happy so far.

I love BJ's. We have been members for 7 years. It's different from Costco and Sam's. We belonged to Sam's before joining BJ's and I like BJ's much better. There are lots of in-club coupons and you can use an in-club coupon with a manufacturer's coupon on the same item. BJ's takes credit cards. Some people say Costco is better, but Costco is too far for us to go to on a regular basis.

If you like Costco, you will probably like BJ'S's as well.

Some pros:

BJ's accepts coupons

BJ's sometimes has smaller sizes as well as warehouse packs

Pricing is often better than Costco

BJ's accepts all reasonable forms of payment, not just debit/Amex

Self-checkout registers

Meat/fresh department: meats rival Costco's. Not as large a produce department, but good stuff. Nobody has Costco's bakery, but maybe that's a good thing ;). If you just don't have time to bake, check frozen for their 600-lb gorilla cookie dough. Good ingredients rather than a list of chemicals, little frozen balls of dough that drop onto the cookie sheet (the rest pop back into the freezer).

Good service department

Our local club is good about in-stock position and cleanliness.

You can often find discounts off of your membership... Employers, PTA, 4H, etc.

Membership s not expensive

Locally, checkouts managed better than Costco, less of a mob scene.

Our BJ's will let you walk in and browse without flashing a membership card. Sometimes a trial membership is possible.

We have Sam's Club, BJ's and Costco all within 10 miles. I have belonged to all three at different times. I wouldn't pay to join Sam's Club but worked there and had a free membership.. All three are very similar with variations to whether they take coupons and what credit cards they take. BJ's will give you a free trial pass if you go to their service desk. It is probably worth going in and checking out before you pay to join. Each will have better prices for different things and a different selection. It all depends on what are the things you personally are looking for.

Our BJ's does have a bakery, including cakes available for ordering. They had the best prices for the things we used the most and our local BJ's was a much newer, and cleaner store than our local Costco. Our BJ's also had a better selection of electronics and books than our Costco or Sam's Club.

I love BJ's. We have been members for 7 years. It's different from Costco and Sam's. We belonged to Sam's before joining BJ's and I like BJ's much better. There are lots of in-club coupons and you can use an in-club coupon with a manufacturer's coupon on the same item. BJ's takes credit cards. Some people say Costco is better, but Costco is too far for us to go to on a regular basis.

This, except we belonged to BJ's for about 10 years, before they built a Sam's near us. We were members of both for a year, but ended up dropping Sam's. We found more of what we like at BJ's and I can use coupon's there. I found prices at Sam's to be higher on many things, even without coupons. We love BJ's.

I wish there was a Costco near us so that I could at least try it. Everyone who goes there seems to love it.

We have all three. The Costco is new, so I've avoided it because of the crowds. I may buckle own and get it for the gas, and it's conveniently near TJs.

As for BJs, I never pay for membership. I keep getting 3 month trial memberships in the mail, so I use those and stock up when I have them :-)

There are only 4 of us, so I really spend less at our small Food Lion and Trader Joes. However, it is nice to stock upon non-perishables and paper products a couple times a year. :D

We have all three. The Costco is new, so I've avoided it because of the crowds. I may buckle own and get it for the gas, and it's conveniently near TJs.

As for BJs, I never pay for membership. I keep getting 3 month trial memberships in the mail, so I use those and stock up when I have them :-)

There are only 4 of us, so I really spend less at our small Food Lion and Trader Joes. However, it is nice to stock upon non-perishables and paper products a couple times a year. :D

How did it start with getting the free trials?

How did it start with getting the free trials?

Yes, I'd be interested to know too. We get them in our monthly membership coupon books, and it's meant for us to give them away. I alternate between giving it to my niece and my daughter-in-law. If either of them could get it on their own, they wouldn't have to wait for their turn to get it from me.

We were BJs members for years up in Baltimore because there wasn't a Sam's Club there then, and Costco used to be available for businesses only, not individuals. When we moved to NC, we joined Sam's, but when BJs opened up, we switched to BJs. The meat we bought at BJs tasted off, and we ended up using that membership very little. FWIW, a friend of ours used to be a butcher, and he won't buy meat anywhere other than Sam's.

For me, Costco is more convenient, and it has more things that I use. Their customer service is amazing (generous returns, satisfaction guaranteed, often extend manufacturers' warranties to double their normal length on electronics, etc.). They also have a good reputation for worker pay.

I am not a big fan of Sam's. I've only been in a BJs once and it was years ago, and the closest one is 30+ mins away, whereas my local Costco is about 10 mins away.

Yes, I'd be interested to know too. We get them in our monthly membership coupon books, and it's meant for us to give them away. I alternate between giving it to my niece and my daughter-in-law. If either of them could get it on their own, they wouldn't have to wait for their turn to get it from me.

They just show up in the mail several times a year. I live in the burbs. A lot of things cost more here (real estate) but there are deals to be had because of so much business competition. Our BJs is only about a mile away from out Costco.

Now, in order to GET your free card, you have to be prepared to tell the lovely desk staff "no thank-you" during the process of having your ID made, because they want to sell you the membership. I tend to wear an amused smile during their pitch. I'm not sure they appreciate it, but im too old to feel uncomfortable about it.

If you're not getting mail, try calling the store and asking about a membership trial or checking online. Here's one site I found. I didnt reality check it, but there must be more. Oh, and it seems it's two months, not three. Sorry