Menu

Getting a dog, need help deciding ~

My oldest daughter has been begging for a dog for quite sometime. I think we are all ready now, including me. :)

We want a large dog (over 45 pounds) and here are our "wants" in a breed. We live in the country, so space is not issue.

Intelligent, easily trainable.

Guard dog, but very little barking, especially at our small creek animals.

Good with children

Little grooming required

Wants to be a lap dog, eventhough it's large

I have my favorites, but I would love you to tell me why your type of dog would be a good fit or not.

Our Belgian Malinois would fit all of those charactaristics. She does bark at people that she does not know though.

I would have never looked at that breed, thank you. People barking is great since no one should be walking near our house we don't know. Barking at squirrels, skunks, and raccoons, not so good.

German Shepherd.

Wonderful with children they are raised with. Frankly, I would never adopt an abused/or formally owned GSD. I would buy a pup from a reputable breeder. GSDs form intense loyalties to their owners. I've heard more than once that a second homed GSD isn't the same as one raised with the children.

Our Luke does indeed believe himself to be a lap dog :D, nevermind that he is every bit of 90 lbs.

Easily trainable IF IF IF you train immediately, before they develop bad habits.

Highly intelligent. I would say the most intelligent dog I've come across.

Loyal. Luke's loyalty to us is something I've never questioned. If he feels we are being threatened he WILL act on it. This is something to be weary of if you have frequent visitors that aren't often the same person (that he can become friendly with over several visits), or if you live in the suburbs (like we do).

He isn't cat friendly. Frankly, he's pretty homicidal towards the feline species in general :tongue_smilie:.

He's a wonderful companion and protector. He is great with the children. Only minor issues with him thinking he is the same size as our 10 lb Italian Greyhound; leading him to believe he can also jump off the back of the couch, onto the keyboard, or onto our 20 lb two year old son's lap (luckily taken in stride by our two year old :D).

He sleeps in our bedroom, on the floor by my side of the bed. He lays beside the front door when Autumn is outside playing; watching and waiting for any threat (lol - he sincerely seems to be doing just that). If Nico is crying or throwing a tantrum, Luke whines and nips at me until I pay attention.

We love our Luke :)

photo.php?fbid=10150460534131824&set=a.10150400864566824.356067.644591823&type=1&theater

I can't seem to attach a picture. Lol.

German Shepherd.

Wonderful with children they are raised with. Frankly, I would never adopt an abused/or formally owned GSD. I would buy a pup from a reputable breeder. GSDs form intense loyalties to their owners. I've heard more than once that a second homed GSD isn't the same as one raised with the children.

Thank you, Aimee. Very helpful in general about getting a puppy versus an older dog. I think that would help with our youngest.

How do they do in heat?

We love our golden retriever. He is our fourth child. Loyal, great guard dog, very protective of dd 8. When she is in the bath or swimming pool, he hangs right on the edge. If he thinks she is in trouble, he pulls me over to her. He is definitely a lap dog, all 100 pounds of him.

We didn't want another dog (bad experience). Ds helped neighbor with her pregnant retriever through the whole process. In the end, the one he fell in love with at first sight became his. We were very hesitant, but he is the most amazing dog. Good luck with your search!

Thank you, Aimee. Very helpful in general about getting a puppy versus an older dog. I think that would help with our youngest.

How do they do in heat?

Well, we live in South Carolina. Summers are hot, springs are hot, and early fall is HOT usually. Luke seems to do just fine provided we give him plenty of access to water.

I would never want to discourage getting a rescue; but I was advised against it, with small children, by the owner of a GSD rescue.

I thought about a Golden Retriever, too :) Maybe a lab. Some will have longer hair that requires more upkeep, though ...

Big, but skinny? Greyhounds. Totally awesome with kids and big ol' baby lapdogs. I don't know about the guard dog aspect, aside from your pet becoming protective enough of your kids to guard as necessary (as opposed to being a deterrent-type of guard dog).

How exciting!!

We love our golden retriever. He is our fourth child. Loyal, great guard dog, very protective of dd 8. When she is in the bath or swimming pool, he hangs right on the edge. If he thinks she is in trouble, he pulls me over to her. He is definitely a lap dog, all 100 pounds of him.

We didn't want another dog (bad experience). Ds helped neighbor with her pregnant retriever through the whole process. In the end, the one he fell in love with at first sight became his. We were very hesitant, but he is the most amazing dog. Good luck with your search!

Thank you. We weren't looking at them either. I love hearing about sweet dogs.

Labs, and Retrievers are great dogs. Can be inside/outside dogs.

Single coated breeds dont do well outside during cold weather.. and the mosquitos really pester them.

My lab does well outside and the bugs dont bother him. His fur insulates him from heat in the summer. (never shave a dog in the summer, double coated breeds do far better with their long coats, insulating them from heat)

Our Great Dane cannot tolerate the heat.. or the cold, and mosquitoes eat him alive if we dont keep fly spray on him. He is much harder to maintain than our "good ole lab"

The lab is a far better guard dog. The dane runs away from scary things lol.

I'd first start with wether you want a double or single coated breed. Then go to the breed groups.. do you want a working dog? A sporting dog? non sporting? Herding?

I thought about a Golden Retriever, too :) Maybe a lab. Some will have longer hair that requires more upkeep, though ...

Big, but skinny? Greyhounds. Totally awesome with kids and big ol' baby lapdogs. I don't know about the guard dog aspect, aside from your pet becoming protective enough of your kids to guard as necessary (as opposed to being a deterrent-type of guard dog).

How exciting!!

We don't need a deterrent, really, just not a dog that rolls over to get his belly scratched by anyone. ;) We are finally able to have a person and/or place when we are gone as a family.

The girls can't stop talking about it! :D

Great advice. We don't want a working dog, just another family member. Thanks for the info, we were thinking about a Great Dane. The heat would be an issue, though.

Labs, and Retrievers are great dogs. Can be inside/outside dogs.

Single coated breeds dont do well outside during cold weather.. and the mosquitos really pester them.

My lab does well outside and the bugs dont bother him. His fur insulates him from heat in the summer. (never shave a dog in the summer, double coated breeds do far better with their long coats, insulating them from heat)

Our Great Dane cannot tolerate the heat.. or the cold, and mosquitoes eat him alive if we dont keep fly spray on him. He is much harder to maintain than our "good ole lab"

The lab is a far better guard dog. The dane runs away from scary things lol.

I'd first start with wether you want a double or single coated breed. Then go to the breed groups.. do you want a working dog? A sporting dog? non sporting? Herding?

I show danes... they arent a large breed. They are considered a GIANT breed. 180 lbs of big baby slobbery mess.

I love 'em. But he's a lot of work. Eats 12 cups of food a day plus 4 lbs of raw food.

I know a breeder in Texas. "Chromadane" I'd contact her if you decide you do in fact want a dane. They are very much inside dogs though... and LAZY :)

My dane looks in our kitchen sink for goodies.. and "counter surfs" if you arent watching him. He's a goof.

Danes are "my breed" I try to let people know the pros and cons of them... and make sure you know what you are getting into financially. The cost of food is one aspect... but worming and heartworm preventative are dosed by weight. My dane uses 2 large breed heartguards per month.. then theres the premium foods. A bag of Evo runs us 75. per bag and that doesnt last long at all. Maybe 10 days.. plus the raw food we add. Lifespan is said to be 7-10 years but 10 years is to be celebrated.. most dont make it that long especially a back yard bred dane.

Now the pluses. He's the sweetest, gentlest dog ever. He was potty trained at 8 weeks old... but as far as playing fetch and sitting on command he isnt going to do that. :)

He sleeps most of the day away unless he wants food or to outside and potty. He will accidently knock a kid over when he's running from something he perceives as scary, and while he didnt mean to hurt a kid.. it has happened. I think of him as a VERY large house cat. He's cuddly, lazy and sleeps a lot.

Edited by Mesa

Our last male was a great dog. He was the 'strong silent type' for sure. He would calmly sit at my side staring down any stranger who was bold enough to come up our drive... of course the stranger did not know that if I gave the 'friend' command he would be licked to death! Our guy was the easiest to train-- he actually came to us at 10 weeks knowing sit, stay and shake... the rest was a piece of cake-- he was so willing to learn! He came from White Sand Kennels (near Houston)... they may have puppies available now... we will be getting one from an upcoming litter this summer (our dog was Iceman's brother and we are waiting for one of his pups).

ALL of our dogs have been the perfect floor rugs-- we do not allow them on the furniture (or in the kitchen). They would have loved being allowed on the couch--but there would have been no room left for the people to sit!

We do not allow the dogs in our theater room (carpet is dark and their fur is white) so they camp out just outside the door-- when we exit we must 'pay the toll'-- rub their tummies... this tradition has been passed down to our current dog-- she learned this almost immediately!

--Rescues--

I'm confident in my ability to train large dogs-- so I'm not opposed to getting a rescue. Both of our rescue dogs had been at the rescue facilities for quite some time (both hard luck cases). We did seek the help of a professional dog trainer (specializing in large breeds) when we got our first dog. It took some patience, but she was great with our young children (3 and 5yrs).

Our current dog is also a rescue. She is full shepherd (white). She was found abandoned and starved ('mostly dead' according to vet). She spent 6 months in rehab with a professional trainer. I think the trainer went overboard as she trained the dog NOT to bark at people period! So when a stranger comes to our door the dog sits calmly wagging her tail -- no threat!

Edited by Jann in TX

What about a Boxer? Friendly and fun.. and smaller.

I'm going to Boxers next. They dont require a special (HUGE) vehicle to travel in.. They are like danes but "fun sized!"

That sounds better. I love the lap dog aspect of the Dane, but I don't think we could handle a dog of that size. I do need a low-energy dog, "big, lazy, cat."

Bernese Mountain Dog. My son works with a friends for 4H. He's big enough to be intimidating, but wouldn't hurt a flea and loves to have little kids pester and annoy him (which, of course, he is not annoyed by one bit). He would also love to be a lap dog. He doesn't seem to realize our laps aren't big enough!

Bernese Mountain Dog. My son works with a friends for 4H. He's big enough to be intimidating, but wouldn't hurt a flea and loves to have little kids pester and annoy him (which, of course, he is not annoyed by one bit). He would also love to be a lap dog. He doesn't seem to realize our laps aren't big enough!

Our Berner thinks she's a lap dog too. I have to shoo her off frequently :). They are lovies . . . a little obsessive sometimes though :).

The only dog I have ever had is Captain, our yellow Lab - and I would get another Lab in a heartbeat! Great with kids (and SillyAutismMan), sheds no worse than our multiple cats (ok, we are knee-deep in fur here, but used to it). I think a Boxer (neighbors had them) would be good, too.

Our vet has Great Danes - her dogs are HUGE. She loves them, but the bigger they are the shorter the life span :-(

The only dog I have ever had is Captain, our yellow Lab - and I would get another Lab in a heartbeat! Great with kids (and SillyAutismMan), sheds no worse than our multiple cats (ok, we are knee-deep in fur here, but used to it). I think a Boxer (neighbors had them) would be good, too.

Our vet has Great Danes - her dogs are HUGE. She loves them, but the bigger they are the shorter the life span :-(

Thanks. I need to keep in mind the size for life span also. :(

I've had so many friends with labs they adore. :)

Another vote for a German Shepherd. We have a GS/Plott Hound mix from the pound who is an excellent dog. He has a sweet personality, only barks at strange people, but has a thinner coat than a full GS, which is good for the super-hot weather we get around here.

Another big lap dog - Rhodesian Ridgeback. They fit all your requirements, except possibly easily trained. They are extremely intelligent, and think more like a human than a dog. They don't mindlessly obey anymore than an average human would. If they have a better idea they'll go with that!:glare:

That said, they are better if you can be very consistent with training from a young age, and never wavering. If you give them an inch, they'll take a mile, and push for it forever after!

BUT - they are gorgeous, and their goofy, and sweet character make you love them in spite of their independent mind!

My next dog is going to be an Irish Wolfhound.

from Wikipedia

An easygoing animal, Irish wolfhounds are quiet by nature. Wolfhounds often create a strong bond with their family and can become quite destructive or morose if left alone for long periods of time. Despite the need for their own people, wolfhounds generally are somewhat stand-offish with total strangers. They should not be territorially aggressive to other domestic dogs but are born with specialized skills and it is common for hounds at play to course another dog. This is a specific hunting behavior, not a fighting or territorial domination behavior. Most wolfhounds are very gentle with children and are aware of their size and power. The Irish wolfhound is relatively easy to train. They respond well to firm, but gentle, consistent leadership. However, historically these dogs were required to work at great distances from their masters and think independently when hunting rather than waiting for detailed commands and this can still be seen in the breed.[3]

The wolfhound of today is far from the one that struck fear into the hearts of the Ancient Romans. Irish wolfhounds are often favored for their loyalty, affection, patience and devotion. Although at some points in history they have been used as watchdogs, unlike some breeds, the Irish wolfhound is usually unreliable in this role as they are often friendly toward strangers, although their size can be a natural deterrent. That said, when protection is required this dog is never found wanting. When they or their family are in any perceived danger they display a fearless nature. Author and Irish wolfhound breeder Linda Glover believes the dogs' close affinity with humans makes them acutely aware and sensitive to ill will or malicious intentions leading to them excelling as a guardian rather than guard dog.[4]

If I were ever going to get a dog, which I won't...I'm happy with my relatively low maintenance cat lol...I would totally want to adopt a retired greyhound. :D

My dad did this! Tiffy was an amazing dog. I have one problem, though. If we are going to get a dog, I need it to be a puppy because my youngest needs to establish dominance. Having a full grown dog would be a little hard on her, she would show fear... not good with a dog.

I had a cat for 15 years, loved him! Sadly dh and oldest dd are highly allergic to cats. They are okay with most dogs, not basset hounds, I found out. They do great around my friend's pit bull mix. She's a sweet lap dog who neither one is allergic to. They have also loved on another friend's Great Pyrenees with no problems. :)

Weims would fit all of your criteria (well, might bark at other critters, but really that's going to vary from dog to dog, no matter the breed). They are great with kids when raised with them. They definitely are lap dogs, and inside dogs, and in-the-car dogs, and probably watch-you-while-you-pee dogs. They aren't called shadow dogs because they are grey! I love them dearly, and plan to always have one. We have a puppy right now, and he is great!

We have had several dogs, but our current is a boxer and she is, by far, the best dog ever! She is wonderful with the kids. Lets the babies crawl all over her and never does anything. (Although we try to keep the kids from tormenting her. :tongue_smilie:) She is very obedient and intuitive. Friendly to people, but very willing to defend her turf or family. She is quite active, but not so much inside. She kind of lazes around inside, but is always ready to play with the kids or go on a walk. She LOVES activity, so be prepared.

She really doesn't eat that much. A 20 pound bag of food will last almost a month. She might be atypical though. She doesn't like the heat or the cold, but will deal with it. We keep a sweater/coat on her when she goes outside in the winter. No double coat means no insulation from the cold.

Overall, we love her and she is a great dog. I would recommend boxers to almost anyone. Good luck on you search! :001_smile: