Menu

Roasting beets?

I have some fresh beets, and I wanted to try roasting them. I've never had beets before so I just want something straightforward so I can just see if I like them.

Do I peel before roasting? Cut into french fries or leave whole? What temp for the oven?

Hopefully, someone on this list has roasted beets in the past and can help me out!

TIA!

Sandy

Easy peasy!

Make sure they've been washed. Rub with a little olive oil. Wrap in foil and roast in a 400(ish) oven in a roasting pan or baking dish until the beet can be pierced to the center with a fork. (It should still be fairly firm, but the fork should be able to slide in to the center of the beet easily.) Let cool before peeling, then slice.

You can eat the roasted slices plain with a little salt and pepper. You can saute them briefly in some orange juice or lemon juice and butter. You can put cold slices over greens with some goat cheese and balsamic vinaigrette. You can dice them and toss them in a salad.

I love roasted beets. Love love love. Now I am craving beets, and will put them on the grocery list as soon as I am done typing! :tongue_smilie:

Cat

Guest submarines
I have some fresh beets, and I wanted to try roasting them. I've never had beets before so I just want something straightforward so I can just see if I like them.

Do I peel before roasting? Cut into french fries or leave whole? What temp for the oven?

Hopefully, someone on this list has roasted beets in the past and can help me out!

TIA!

Sandy

Love roasted beets!

I don't peel. Don't leave whole! Cut them in round slices, not french fries. 425 in the oven. Not sure for how long, after 15 min I start checking with a fork. I think maybe 25-30 min? Two table spoons of olive oil, for a big tray. Sprinkle with salt when done. You might want to use other spices to taste.

Oh, I want some roasted beets now!

They are also great just boiled. Don't peel before boiling. They take forever to boil, way longer than potatoes. They peel easily when done--you actually don't even peel, it just comes off with your fingers. (Okay, it is too late, and I'm aware that this sentence is crappy, but I hope you know what I mean. I can't focus anymore. I'm sleepy and I crave beets :lol:.) My kids just love boiled beets.

Edited by sunflowers

Guest submarines
All the recipes I've seen suggest wrapping the whole beets in foil, then peeling them once they have cooked.

I tend to put them in salad with a vinegarette. :)

Rosie

When sliced, they get crispy. :tongue_smilie:

When roasted whole and wrapped, doesn't it turn out pretty much like boiled?

When sliced, they get crispy. :tongue_smilie:

When roasted whole and wrapped, doesn't it turn out pretty much like boiled?

Yes, they do turn out like boiled done that way. When you slice them, do you peel the skin off afterwards or does the crispiness mean you don't mind them unpeeled?

Rosie

Guest submarines
Yes, they do turn out like boiled done that way. When you slice them, do you peel the skin off afterwards or does the crispiness mean you don't mind them unpeeled?

Rosie

I don't notice it with the crispiness! :D

(I'm drooling now, I want them so much :lol:).

I don't peel. Cut them into chunks (as for roasted potatoes), toss with olive oil, salt & pepper, and sometimes chaat masala (a very tart indian spice mixture). Roast in a casserole dish covered with foil until tender. Remove foil and bake (or turn on broiler) uncovered for a few minutes to crisp & brown a bit.

Wonderful with plain yogurt or sour cream.

I'm starting to feel like a beet peel snob! :001_huh: I almost never peel potatoes, but there seems something wrong with eating unpeeled beets!

Unless the beetroot chips I sometimes buy from the greengrocer aren't peeled. Obviously crispiness is the answer!!

Rosie

I put whole beets in a black skillet and put butter in with the lid. I then put it in the oven for a while... (1 hr??) I just test them every once in a while to see if they're ready. I slip the skins off.... and yum!!!! The next day I eat them on salads. They will have a bit of butter that's solidified the next day, which comes off when you take the skin off ;) (originally I had a recipe that said to add a bit of orange juice, perhaps concentrate and brown sugar) YUM!!

I'm obsessed with them! I roast them whole, then peel and cut into chunks. (Be forewarned that the peeling is messy business; EASY, but messy)

After mine are in chunks I saute them for just a few minutes in a little olive oil with some coarse Celtic sea salt on them. DELICIOUS!! And of course, we all get a kick out of the the unique aftermath! :tongue_smilie:

Here's how not to roast beets:

1. Wrap them in foil and put them in your lower, lesser-used oven oh oh, let's just say, on Thanksgiving, roasting them separately from the rest of your root veggies, so that they don't all turn pink.

2. Forget about them.

3. Complain periodically about how you really need to clean your lower oven because something in there smells funky, and wonder what in the world could have boiled over to smell like that.

4. Discover the beets, pushed up against the side of the oven, on New Year's.

At least I hear that would be a bad thing to do.

Anonymous