Menu

Do I need an iPad, or would an Android suffice?

I'm about ready to take the plunge and buy a tablet of some form, and I'm debating between an android or an iPad. The Androids I'm looking at are substantially less expensive than an iPad for the same amount of memory, same screen size, and similar processor speed (but different OS). I have an iTouch and an Android based phone, and am fairly comfortable with both systems. Since the iTouch has all my music teaching files on it, I don't expect to be using the tablet for any music except for maybe memory work CDs. I expect the tablet to mostly be used for school, as opposed to being something I carry around with me, except for travel.

Here's what I want

1) School book/resources especially all those .PDF ones I keep downloading from Scholastics and finding online. I'm especially looking at CK-12 science.

2) Use to watch Discovery Streaming and Brainpop videos during school and while traveling. It would be nice to be able to plug it into the TV and stream to the TV, too.

3) E-book reader for me, probably using the Kindle app so I can sync bookmarks between the apps.

4) Other (apps to be named later??)

So, is there a good reason to spend $500+ on the iPad, or could I get by with a $300 Android for what I need? I'm looking at the Archos 10.1 g9.

I just got a Toshiba Thrive for Christmas. I like it so far. You should be able to do everything you listed on Android. There are plenty of ebook reader apps, a couple good pdf annotation apps, etc. My tablet has an HDMI port, USB port, and other connections. Those will vary by tablet, of course.

Also, as long as you log in with the same google account, your tablet and phone can share any paid apps. I just bought ezPDF yesterday to annotate PDFs, and I was able to install it on my phone also. :)

We got a Lenovo K1 before Christmas. It's the same size and has the same rating on CNet as an iPad. We've installed the Kindle and Nook apps, it plays video, and my husband was looking at apps to mark up PDFs so we can use it for math, etc. So far, so good. (I've not had an issue doing anything I've wanted to do at all)

My question: Are there a lot of apps for the Android? I was wondering the same myself as to what the differences were because my husband saw in the paper that the Android is less than the IPad. I don't think we'll be coming up with 800+ for an Ipad. But I would love something like it for our homeschooling.

You probably know this from reading the other recent iPad threads but I'm a big fan of the iPad. I originally planned on getting an android but ended up with the iPad because the company dh and I work with said the iPad would be better for our work software. I strongly feel now that it was the right decision. To me the big difference is in the availability of educational apps and ease of use. I would not however spend over $500. There is absolutely no difference between a new iPad and a refurbished one purchased from apple. If you don't need the camera you can get the first generation wifi with 64gb for $399. If you absolutely need a camera you can get the 32gb wifi iPad 2 for $499.

For what it's worth, it seems that Apple is coming out with two new iPad versions later this month. The current iPad 2 model will then be substantially discounted from current prices.

I don't know your time frame, but if you can wait few weeks and you really want an iPad you may be able to stomach the price.

Interesting-I tried watching a clip online on DS streaming on my Android phone, and it didn't stream, but gave me the option to save (through the Android OS/browser, not through DS)-and, after it had downloaded, could view it from my gallery. Does this happen on the tablets, too?

:lurk5: I'm really interested in thus post because I've maxed out on memory on my 32 iPad and was wondering if I should get an android to complement it or another iPad with larger memory.

Are iPads expandable? One thing that at least some of the androids I've looked at have are the ability to add an SD card, which is also appealing.

My question: Are there a lot of apps for the Android? I was wondering the same myself as to what the differences were because my husband saw in the paper that the Android is less than the IPad. I don't think we'll be coming up with 800+ for an Ipad. But I would love something like it for our homeschooling.

Don't forget you have access to the Google Apps now too!

While the iPad(giant iPod) is great, for doing the things that you normally would do, you cannot beat a good Android or Honeycomb system.

As well, consider that the Kindle Fire is unix-based OS.

You have to decide but ... There are no steadfast numbers for the Android/Google market, but they have over 30,000 free apps. Apple has 140,000 apps total for the iphone, ipod, and ipad.

I don't think it is a matter of the apps, but the function and use that you need to evaluate.

Remember that Apple is closed and isolated when it comes to interoperability, which may or may not affect you. :001_smile:

Are iPads expandable? One thing that at least some of the androids I've looked at have are the ability to add an SD card, which is also appealing.

You have to be creative, but you can do something like this ..... here

You need a wi-fi drive!

Yes, I know. You have to go get one.:lol:

(At least I am good for something around here.)

You have to be creative, but you can do something like this ..... here

You need a wi-fi drive!

Yes, I know. You have to go get one.:lol:

(At least I am good for something around here.)

Currently I'm using a combination of Skydrive, dropbox and my laptop to store stuff off the ipad to free up space. You can also move things back and forth using itunes (like movies).

:lurk5: I'm really interested in thus post because I've maxed out on memory on my 32 iPad and was wondering if I should get an android to complement it or another iPad with larger memory.

I'm thinking that I should return my 16gb for a 32 gb. How did you manage to use that much memory? Movies? All I've been doing is adding a few apps, but unfortunately SM app takes a lot of space, and that's just the lite version. I was thinking of just transferring apps from iTunes when I need them.

Here are the apps for Android:

https://market.android.com/apps

I came to Android from an iPod Touch about this time last year. DH got me an Android smartphone. I stopped using my iPod Touch. I like Android better. The only app I've missed is Home Routines, which isn't available for Android, and I had purchased it for use on my iPod Touch. Every other app I use is either also on the Android or there is a good equivalent.

I don't have Discovery Streaming, so I haven't tried doing that on my tablet. DH has done Amazon Prime streaming on his Kindle Fire (also Android), and that worked great. I know there is a Netflix app as well, though I don't have that either.

I installed ezPDF to annotate PDF files for school. There are all the usual suspects for ebook readers, which I'll use for school. I use Olive Tree for Bible reading (used that on my iPod Touch also).

And the particular tablet I got (Toshiba Thrive) does SD card, USB, mini-USB, HDMI, etc. Plus the battery is user replaceable for fairly cheap (I think around $40?). You just pop off the back cover and replace the square thing. I have front and back camera, so I can do Skype (I doubt I'll take pictures very often with a tablet, but Skype is useful!).

There just really wasn't any reason for me to go with an iPad, when the Thrive had better hardware features, and I like the Android OS better than iOS (I had iOS4 on my iPod Touch).

I'm thinking that I should return my 16gb for a 32 gb. How did you manage to use that much memory? Movies? All I've been doing is adding a few apps, but unfortunately SM app takes a lot of space, and that's just the lite version. I was thinking of just transferring apps from iTunes when I need them.

Movies, pictures and lots of music/tv shows etc. require a lot of memory. I am managing mine okay by keeping stuff in itunes. By moviing the pictures and videos I take and/or create in iMovie off the device on to Skydrive or my laptop I have managed to avoid having to move any apps off/on.

The new refurbished one we bought for Christmas is the first generation and has 64gb. We have over a hundred apps and lots of pdf's, pictures, etc. Dh has loaded well over a hundred music cd's in the last week. He still has something like 45 gb of free space. I rented a movie on mine and it was 3gb so if you were storing movies on the device I guess that could add up.