Menu

Gluten-free breakfast ideas

I wanted to start a thread for GF breakfast ideas. I would also really love some ideas for grain-free breakfast ideas. My kids love eggs but they are starting to get really bored with them so new egg ideas would be great too, and I would like to limit the carbs/grains that we consume at least early in the morning because it still affects DS7's behaviour due to blood sugar issues. I would also like to be able to batch cook some of these things so I could keep them in the freezer and just have quick breakfast during the week.

Yesterday we tried these Almond Flour Waffles and they were a HUGE hit.

These coconut flour muffins are a winner and if you add more honey make a nice cake.

We also like nut butter pancakes (6 eggs, 1 cup nut butter or 1/2 cup nut butter and 1/2 cup nut flour, 1/4 t baking powder and whatever spices you like). You can also replace 1/2 cup of the nut butter with some kind of puree like pumpkin or banana.

My favorite is eggs mixed with peppers (green, red, orange,) and onions. DH cuts the peppers up and sticks them in the freezer so they are always available. When scrambling the eggs I just throw in the pepper mixture until cooked. Sometimes I throw in a couple pieces of ham and cheese.

Basically, a pepper omelot but in scrambled egg form instead.

Otherwise, I will frequently eat chicken or tuna fish in the morning.

We use Pamela's baking mix and make a large batch of pancakes that we keep in the refrigerator. Then we simply microwave in the mornings. We also cook bacon that way. (You could also pre-cook sausage or keep ham in the refrigerator). Scrambling eggs doesn't take long (we put cheese in ours).

Gluten free oatmeal or grits (for those not watching their grains). There are also gluten free cereals that taste good.

Add milk, juice or fresh fruit and nuts on the side.

We have also made french toast with gluten free bread and kept it in the refrigerator. The quality is not as good as freshly-made but it's still really good to our girls.

My favorite gluten free breakfast is a banana. Which isn't very inventive, but it is fast.

If I have time I would probably cut up an apple and have it with cheese. I am also not at all hesitant to grab a cooked piece of chicken or other meat from dinner and have it for breakfast. But I don't tend to make eggs for breakfast--I like them for dinner.

Breakfast smoothies

Yogurt, fruit, chopped pecans, and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup

Cottage cheese and fruit, or whatever else you like to put in it, or plain (my favorite!)

A nice fried sausage, some cheese, and a piece of fruit (or a fried tomato)

:bigear: for more. Thanks for the recipes in your OP! I've been looking for some ways to use up our almond and coconut flour and wasn't seeing anything I liked.

We do like smoothies in the morning.

Sadly, the GF cereals that I can get here are pretty high in sugar or have food colouring (Fruity Pebbles, Cinnamon Chex) and they are not so into the plain Chex. I do make GF granola but they eat all up at once and it is pretty pricey to make (but I have to put a reminder on the fridge that I need to make some). They do like GF porridge, but in Texas there are about 6 months out of the year when the though of porridge for breakfast is nauseating with the heat. I like congee for breakfast but they turn their noses up at it. Also, like I mentioned, I would really like to start the day with a protein heavy meal or at least grain free.

Below are some ideas that a friend sent me when I posted this same question on my parenting board (her daughters are almost 4 and almost 1)

Is your family open to the Asian tradition of soup for breakfast? We do that often. I often use the continuous method of cooking broth in the crock pot. I spoon some in a pan and poach eggs in it. I add roasted garlic, herbs, some roasted veggies, whatever.

You can back crust-less quiches in silicon muffin pans. They freeze well, too. Something about the muffin shape makes them more appealing to E.

We have sweet potatoes or squash topped with butter and eggs often, too. Something about presenting the eggs on top of the pile of buttery potato or squash makes it appealing to E.

E really likes nori, so she will eat "sushi" made with very thin egg "crepe" placed on the nori, stuff with veggies and maybe cheese, roll, and slice. The steamy eggs help the nori stick some. Frankly, I think that's a lot of work, but it can be kind of fun.

I made crustless spinach quiche on Christmas morning and saved the leftovers in individually frozen portions. It is delicious and a nice change of pace from scrambled eggs. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/crustless-spinach-quiche/detail.aspx

Every time I have tried this, the little quiche muffins have stuck in the muffin tins or in the little muffin papers. How do you avoid this?

We are actually carb heavy due to a metabolic condition but for limiting grains you might think beyond breakfast for food ideas.

We have a rotation diet so some days are more breakfast like than others out of necessity. All breakfasts here include a fruit/breakfast smoothie but today for example also had chicken sausage and guacamole (with teff crackers but limited grains that won't work). Sometimes in our rotation there are planned leftovers from dinner for breakfast. If you can do dairy you've got a lot of options there. I personally find it hard to feel full low carb so I'd try to include fruit or dairy with carbs with my protein in your place.

Every time I have tried this, the little quiche muffins have stuck in the muffin tins or in the little muffin papers. How do you avoid this?

Unrefined coconut oil! Seriously it works like a charm.

For breakfasts we like:

rice pudding

tapioca

eggs & bacon/sausage/hashbrowns

leftover low sugar desserts

crustless (or almond crust) cheesecakes

smoothies

crustless quiches

gf muffins with almond & coconut flour

I didn't do muffins. I greased a glass pie pan to bake my quiche and then cut pie slices and froze the pie slices. They have reheated well, maybe even better than the fresh quiche, actually.

One of my favorite breakfasts is a layer of frozen hash browns, topped with a layer of frozen spinach, and then crack an egg on top (make a little nest so it doesn't slide right off.) I put a lid on the pan and cook this on low heat until the egg is cooked to where I want it. Yum!

I saw a recipe on Family Fun for an egg roll up, kind of like a jelly roll cake but made with eggs and a spinach/cheese filling. It did call from some flour in the egg mixture, but I'm sure you could replace that easily.

We also use Pamela's mix for a lot of various breakfast items around here.

One of my favorite breakfasts is a corn tortille with beans, cheese and a little hot sauce. Sometimes I add a scrambled egg to make a little huevos rancheros type of dish.

Deviled eggs? My 10yo loves those.

I've made gluten free oatmeal with apples and cinnamon, which the kids like. The down side is that gluten free oats are pretty pricey.

We are also gluten-free and eat a high-protein breakfast due to low-blood sugar issues.

Eggs are also our mainstay. The girls prefer them scrambled but on occasion will make omlets. We also do egg breakfast burritos - corn tortilla, scrambled egg, and salsa. I like a corn tortilla spread with leftover refried beans topped with a fried egg and salsa. Once a week we do scrambles, fried leftover baked potatos or hashbrowns with scrambled egg cooked in and topped with bacon bits.

We also do bacon a couple mornings a week and often sausage patties or links.

I don't restrict grains for breakfast but the protein always comes first and a lot of it (2 - 3 eggs or similar). My flour mixes all contain some garbanzo and quinoa flour and I am known to substitute a bit rice protein powder for flour.

Recently they have started once a week making grilled cheese sandwiches for breakfast. These could be fortified with a slice of meat if needed. Though we generally don't do quesadillas for breakfast meat-fortified ones would also work.

Though my kids on occasion will eat leftovers for breakfast, I have to watch what they are eating. Generally their favorite breakfast leftovers are fairly low in protein and thus don't solve the problem.

Sarah

• 3 weeks later...