Menu

What do you do for your husband when he's sick?

I don't do anything different from when he's not sick. We both get things for each other regardless of whether we are sick or not. Grabbing him a drink, snack or medicine is just no big deal at any time. If he is feeling really yucky, he goes to bed. I do the same. I guess we've been really lucky that we haven't ever gotten truly sick to the point where we need someone to care for us 24/7. I guess I should be thankful that he isn't like the stereotypical man-turns-into-big-baby when sick. I've never experienced that before, but I sure can tell you that that big ole baby would get a really fast lesson in 'um, I don't think so.'

I just do my best not to kill him.

My husband whines more about his man-colds than he did when had his vasectomy. And, unfortunately, between the kids and my job, I have little "sick sympathy" left for him. It's sad, I know. Thankfully, he doesn't get sick often.

I stay out of his way. To him, that is the most loving thing I can do. He doesn't tolerate pampering at all. He once had flu so bad that it was coming out of both ends, violently. Yet, he would NOT let me make him a bit of soup, nor even bring him Tylenol.

"I'll walk to my own grave!" is his motto when ill.

I don't even try to argue anymore.

This describes my husband (and me) too.

Strangely my husband usually desires TeA (not sure if I recalled proper sequence of upper case/lower case letters) in passive manner when sick. It was all he asked for after three surgeries in recent years: gall bladder removal, appendectomy, and a growth removal.

:lol::lol:

You know, I've never seen my Dh yark. In 17 years, he's never been that kind of sick (knock on wood, throw salt, spit behind me). We did ALL succumb to strep one year and the whole house was down and out for about 6 weeks, but that's still kinda functioning and we just all took lots of naps.

And, the only time he's been completely bedridden has been with backspasms, so that was relatively easy nursing. He would call my cell if he needed me for anything. :D

But the man cold is worse than anything. His man colds are worse than the back spasms. :glare: and yeah, I totally tune him out.

Now ME on the other hand, I've been in the hosp a gazillion times, twice with food poisoning and calling him to come home before I passed out on the bathroom floor. But I'm another that wants to be left alone and he gets that so he leaves me alone.

I just do my best not to kill him.

My husband whines more about his man-colds than he did when had his vasectomy. And, unfortunately, between the kids and my job, I have little "sick sympathy" left for him. It's sad, I know. Thankfully, he doesn't get sick often.

:lol::lol::lol: Bahahaha

Dh whines alot to

When my DH is sick, I let him live, and I sleep on the couch so I don't catch anything from him. :D

^ That. He just goes upstairs until be feels better. If he needs something, I bring it up so he's not infecting the rest of us (I'm probably playing Typhoid Mary here). Same drill as when I'm sick, really.

I would rather have 3 sick children than one sick husband! He had a tooth pulled this week and lord have mercy....you would think he had his jaw removed:001_huh: I've been through 2 c-sections with less drama.

:lol: Three sections here including one that came way open and had to be cleaned and repacked every day for about 10 weeks.

We're on day 7. I wonder if he'll ever get better!:tongue_smilie: I really can't spend the night on the couch much longer. I'm too old for this!:lol:

When my dh gets sick, I quarantine him to the master bedroom. He's not allowed to leave. At all. He uses the bathroom in there, and he has a huge tv and a Blu-ray player and a computer, so he really has no reason to go elsewhere in the house. I bring him whatever he needs to eat and drink, and any medicine he needs.

I hate being so strict, but although he means well, he doesn't wash his hands often enough and germs end up everywhere. It's easier to quarantine him than it is to keep disinfecting the house a hundred times a day.

I can always tell when he's feeling better because he starts asking for permission to come out of his room. :tongue_smilie: (I know I sound awfully mean, but it's not like he's living outside in a tent or something -- he has pretty much every convenience in the bedroom, and I get him whatever he wants, so he's essentially in a hotel room with room service.)

Ronette -- I hope your dh gets better soon, and that no one else in the house catches his flu, because it sounds like he's very sick.

:lol: Three sections here including one that came way open and had to be cleaned and repacked every day for about 10 weeks.

We're on day 7. I wonder if he'll ever get better!:tongue_smilie: I really can't spend the night on the couch much longer. I'm too old for this!:lol:

Ronette, I don't know if it'd work in your house, but I see you have a ds6. As long as he's in a twin bed, I'd be telling son that 'we're gonna have a special camp out' tonight. I'd be in ds's bed, ds would be in a camp out on the floor.

I can't do a week on the couch anymore, either. :D

When my dh gets sick, I quarantine him to the master bedroom. He's not allowed to leave. At all. He uses the bathroom in there, and he has a huge tv and a Blu-ray player and a computer, so he really has no reason to go elsewhere in the house. I bring him whatever he needs to eat and drink, and any medicine he needs.

I hate being so strict, but although he means well, he doesn't wash his hands often enough and germs end up everywhere. It's easier to quarantine him than it is to keep disinfecting the house a hundred times a day.

I can always tell when he's feeling better because he starts asking for permission to come out of his room. :tongue_smilie: (I know I sound awfully mean, but it's not like he's living outside in a tent or something -- he has pretty much every convenience in the bedroom, and I get him whatever he wants, so he's essentially in a hotel room with room service.)

Ronette -- I hope your dh gets better soon, and that no one else in the house catches his flu, because it sounds like he's very sick.

:lol: Yeah, my dh has it pretty well made in the bedroom, too. Poor guy's been too sick to even enjoy it. He is sitting in the living room right now playing Sparkle on his tablet and watching TV. He's got a bottle of Theraflu sitting right next to him and is giving me a play by play on the status of his mucus.:lol::lol:

Ronette, I don't know if it'd work in your house, but I see you have a ds6. As long as he's in a twin bed, I'd be telling son that 'we're gonna have a special camp out' tonight. I'd be in ds's bed, ds would be in a camp out on the floor.

I can't do a week on the couch anymore, either. :D

Yep!! I thought of this a couple of nights ago after I'd put the 6yo to bed. I went into his room and the floor was so covered with Christmas Legos that I couldn't even get in there. This will require some planning ahead. He actually has a trundle mattress.

Or....here's a better idea! My college student stays in a newly remodeled guest house in our back yard. Maybe I should make him clean it from top to bottom today and then retreat out there!;)

I'm a little concerned as it's 10:23 and I haven't seen my 15yo yet today. She's always up early and she mentioned a sore throat last night.:001_huh:

He's got a bottle of Theraflu sitting right next to him and is giving me a play by play on the status of his mucus.

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm a little concerned as it's 10:23 and I haven't seen my 15yo yet today. She's always up early and she mentioned a sore throat last night.:001_huh:

I hope she's just sleepy and isn't getting sick! :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Well, the poor guy has pneumonia.:001_huh:

He just hasn't been getting better so I took him to urgent care today. He had a chest x-ray and exam and is now on antibiotics. Hoping to avoid a hospital stay.

I think I'll vacuum his slippers again...;)

He just hasn't been getting better so I took him to urgent care today. He had a chest x-ray and exam and is now on antibiotics. Hoping to avoid a hospital stay.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dh -- he must feel awful!!!

How is your dd? Is she feeling OK? I remember you'd mentioned that she'd slept way later than usual the other day, so I hope she wasn't coming down with anything.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dh -- he must feel awful!!!

How is your dd? Is she feeling OK? I remember you'd mentioned that she'd slept way later than usual the other day, so I hope she wasn't coming down with anything.

DD is fine. All of us are, for now. I really don't have the time or strength for any of the rest of us to get sick.;)

Thanks for asking about her, Cat.:grouphug:

DD is fine. All of us are, for now. I really don't have the time or strength for any of the rest of us to get sick.;)

Thanks for asking about her, Cat.:grouphug:

You're welcome -- I know what it's like to have one sick person in the house and worry like crazy that my ds will come down with the same thing. (Ask my dh about it the next time he's quarantined to the bedroom...:tongue_smilie:)

I'm relieved to hear she's OK!

Oh no! Keeping you guys in my prayers. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug:

Oh no! So sorry to hear. Hope he gets better soon.