Menu

Who are your favorite Biblical characters?

Esther was Mordechai's wife (referenced as an unquestioned fact in the Gemara).

This makes so much more sense. I had always balked a bit at the explanations of why she was so upset about going to the King in regards to her people. Her character seemed so courageous that fear of his reaction did not seem to really fit. On the other hand, if she were married, to approach the King of her own volition is an entirely different matter.

I've never been entirely comfortable with the story of Esther, so I'm glad to see it discussed here. Ruth gets a lot of attention too, but I like Naomi very much. Huldah and the daughters of Zelophahad are also favorites of mine, although we know very little about them.

The Gemara is the Talmud (in this case the Babylonian Talmud)

I'm not sure where to start... and I have just a few minutes to spare. (But do feel free to ask more questions, I will try to come back and respond again later this weekend!)

Much of the Purim story (ie Megillas Esther) is told obliquely - there are practical and thematic explanations, but I won't get into that here - so much of the real story is embedded in the little apparent redundancies or inconsistencies.

Rashi's commentary on the psukim that introduce Esther illustrate this - I'll give a brief overview.

The key phrase is:

לְקָחָהּ מָרְדֳּכַי לוֹ לְבַת

'And Mordechai took her to him as a daughter'

That phrase of 'taking to him' is one used in the context of marriage or marital intimacy.. and 'bas', daughter, is to be read as 'bayis', house (sometimes synonymous with 'wife').

The Gemara and some of the midrashim describe how Esther hid for four years, but was forcibly brought in to the king's harem, how she refused to use the beauty aides/treatments, in hopes that she would not be chosen.... and how she had to be forcibly brought to the king and forcibly r*ped each time he summoned her for such purposes. Her struggles to observe kashrus and Shabbos while concealing her identity are described and her secret meetings with Mordechai tear at my heart.

[And, yes, the search began for maidens, but... expanded]

Yes. Her actions end her marriage. Our people were saved by her sacrifice, but I cannot imagine the cost. As I said, her story haunts me.

...and inspires me too, that our personal sufferings can be used to achieve good things... for others if not always for ourselves.

Wow...lots to think over. However, I asked DH and he said he already knew that Esther was married to Mordechai :eyeroll: leave it to me to be the last to know :lol: