Menu

National Museum of Natural History ?

We are going to the NMNH in DC in a few weeks for a field trip, and I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the area and had any input on the best way to get there? As in, should we just drive all the way in and park at a parking garage or should we stop somewhere further out and ride in on the metro? Just trying to get things planned.

TIA! :) :bigear:

ETA (today, 12/28)

Question:

I've heard that the parking lot at Franconia gets full by 9ish am. So we would almost need to ride in early in the morning. The NMNH, however, doesn't open until 10.

Let's say we go ahead and park at Franconia-Springfield and ride in early. Is there anything free we could do until the museum opens? Anything we could go and see that would be brief? I don't mind having to take the metro a couple different times if we would need to make a stop to see something for an hour or whatever before heading to the NMNH.

Also, what about strollers on the metro??? Does that work?

Edited by PeacefulChaos

Parking is a nightmare. I never saw a good option other than circling around the Mall looking for a good open spot on the road.

We too the Metro to the Smithsonian station and avoided parking altogether.

You may want to consider parking at one of the Metro stations and doing the same :)

Just be aware that the trains will be full during the peak commuting periods, and have a plan for keeping track of your children then.

When mine were younger, we actually drove in because I knew where all the lessor-used parking garages were and was very comfortable driving in, so we could park, walk or take Metro to the museums, and then head home at a time when they'd nap on the way back. Unfortunately we haven't done that in over a decade, and my familiarity with DC has faded and a lot has changed since then. Parking in the garages is expensive, but for us at that time of life, it was easier than parking at Metro and riding in.

I would take the metro--it's so convenient, and it's fun! IMO anyway.

When we go to DC by car, we usually park a couple of miles away. When we see the Cherry Blossoms, for example, we park at Gravely Point (by Reagan airport) and walk over the bridge. When we go to the museums, we park at the end of the strip of road that runs along the Potomac (the opposite way is the Kennedy Center), in a small, free lot that is just after an overpass. It takes forever to walk that way, but we just count it as part of the journey! lol

Most of the Metro parking lots fill up early and are tough to get into. I also believe you have to purchase a smart card for parking and cannot pay in cash. When we go in, we like to drive to Ballston Mall and park in the mall parking garage. It's easy to get to the Metro through the Mall (there are many signs directing you to the metro) and the fee for garage parking is relatively inexpensive. You can also find parking anytime of day.

Just be aware that the trains will be full during the peak commuting periods, and have a plan for keeping track of your children then.

Ditto this. I see you have three young children. Make sure you have an adult hand for each one of them when traveling on the Metro. Have a plan for how you will get your stroller/diaper bag/lunch/etc. up and down the stairs/escalators and on the train.

When trying to enter crowded (or even not-so-crowded) Metro cars, it is best to spread out a large group among several train doors. They don't stay open for long, and it's hard to get everyone through them quickly if you are all bunched up. Make a plan on what to do if people get separated, and do not count on your cell phone being able to work.

Metro is a great way to get into D.C. Just be cautious and prepared when traveling with children.

GardenMom

I live 15 minutes outside DC and drive down all the time. The street parking on the Mall in front of most of the museums opens at 10 am. I usually show up at 9:45 and sit in a parking spot right in front of the museum of choice with the motor running. At 10:00, we hop out and are on our way! It's worked well for us.

Take the metro. I like Alice's suggestion of parking in the Ballston area.

I believe the Smithsonian Castle opens earlier than the museums. Plus, I think their little cafe area serves breakfast too, so you could head there, check out the displays (which is quite neat in one room becuase they have separate cases dedicated to each Smithsonian museum -- a neat way to see something from every museum all in one room), eat breakfast, & plan your day.

ETA: Yep, it looks like the castle opens at 8:30am. This shows the hours/types of food/coffee/etc... available at the cafe.

Edited by Stacia

Ditto this. I see you have three young children. Make sure you have an adult hand for each one of them when traveling on the Metro. Have a plan for how you will get your stroller/diaper bag/lunch/etc. up and down the stairs/escalators and on the train.

When trying to enter crowded (or even not-so-crowded) Metro cars, it is best to spread out a large group among several train doors. They don't stay open for long, and it's hard to get everyone through them quickly if you are all bunched up. Make a plan on what to do if people get separated, and do not count on your cell phone being able to work.

Metro is a great way to get into D.C. Just be cautious and prepared when traveling with children.

GardenMom

Thanks! The DC metro can't be as busy as the NYC subway, right? Because I am familiar with that and, though I've not taken my kids on it, I would feel comfortable doing it and am confident that we could navigate it without problems. :)

I actually think we're going to skip the stroller. She doesn't like sitting in it anyway, and I read somewhere that the NMNH may have some on a first come, first serve basis - and considering that we'll be there way early (and therefore at the museum at opening time) I don't think we'll have a problem getting one. If we even end up needing it. We also won't be taking any lunch stuff, and DD's 'diaper bag' is a small backpack that she usually carries, so we should be good.

Thanks again, so much!