Menu

Red Velvet cake.... with no red dye?

Red velvet cake without the food coloring is called chocolate cake and it's delicious too. I feel your pain about the red dye. I love red velvet cake but can't bring myself to make it because of the bottles of food coloring required. I just enjoy a piece (or two) when it's offered elsewhere.

Actually, red velvet would be made with cocoa powder before the days of more alkaline "Dutch Processed" cocoa, and the cocoa would react with with an acidic ingredient such as buttermilk; giving it its red tint. Therefore Red Velvet is chocolate cake with an acidic ingredient You only need the food coloring these days because the cocoa is now dutch processed.

Actually, red velvet would be made with cocoa powder before the days of more alkaline "Dutch Processed" cocoa, and the cocoa would react with with an acidic ingredient such as buttermilk; giving it its red tint. Therefore Red Velvet is chocolate cake with an acidic ingredient You only need the food coloring these days because the cocoa is now dutch processed.

Where do I find cocoa that is not dutch processed!?

And just a heads up, find a recipe that uses natural cocoa in it, dutch-processed and natural, can't be used interchangeably because of differences in alkaline. And it is only a tint, not the bright red we are used to. The acid reveals the red anthocyanin in the cocoa. And traditionally Red Velvet is made with a a cooked buttercream frosting instead of the cream cheese.

Look for cocoa that says 'natural'. You can find natural unprocessed cocoa on Amazon too.

I made a Red Velvet once with no food coloring. It comes out a deep red. Not the bright flaming red you get with the food coloring. When you make it just be very careful to add the ingredients in the right order to get the reaction right. It tastes FANTASTIC, especially with a cream cheese frosting!

Regular Hershey's and Nestle are both not dutch processed.

Damon Lee Fowler's New Southern Baking: Classic Flavors for Today's Cook has a brown velvet cake without dye with a chocolate fudge frosting instead of a white frosting.

If you search for brown velvet cake, you'll find plenty of recipes.

How much beet juice do you use for the Red Velvet cake?? Red Velvet is my son's favorite but he has severe allergies to food coloring.

I wouldn't mind doing the chocolate thing except the recipe I use is not the wheat flour version but coconut flour version.

I once made a beet spice cake, from a recipe in Cooking Light, and it was quite nice.

These sound promising

http://www.dominosugar.com/recipe/beet-red-velvet-cake-7560 uses 2 c beets

http://bakecakery.com/2011/03/16/red-velvet-cake-with-beets/ uses 3/4 c beets!