Menu

For fun: What are your plans for English/Lang. Arts from K to 12?

Another Lynn

My question is copied from an old thread from 2008 (here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3886&highlight=literature). I thought it might be fun to see updated replies....

Here's an example ....

K - Phonics Pathways, HWOT, Read alouds

1-4 - FLL 1-4, WWE 1-4, SWO A-D, various readling lists

5-8 - Hake Grammar, Writing Strands, SWO E-H, various readists

9-12 - AG, Wordsmith, vocab, Excellence in Literature

Okay, I haven't really planned that out - that was just off the top my head. You could list by each grade level, rather than "stage."

I have a feeling that as I get more comfortable as a teacher I'll be coming up with more language arts work on my own. Here are some of my tentative plans:

Learning to read: Sound Game and movable alphabet from Montessori Read and Write

continue word building along with reading games until they can read, then go through OPGTR to fill in any gaps

Handwriting: HWT pre-K through 1, then New American Cursive

Spelling: AAS (doing this series with my oldest) or maybe SWR with some of the kids

Writing: similar to WWE, but I'll probably start picking my own models (maybe use WWE teacher's book as a guide)

Classical Writing series, maybe picking my own models on the second or third time around

Grammar: through Latin plus learning basic grammar (parts of speech and some simple rules) through copywork/dictation and discussion of the passages

I think we'll be trying MCT starting around third grade.

Grammar:

PreK-6 CC Foundations memory work

K-3 FLL

3-6 MP Grammar Books in Summer

4-6 Essentials of the English Language (EEL)

7-12 Shurley 7, ALL

Writing:

PreK-6 MP First Start Reading (as a handwriting book) and copybooks, cursive, etc.

PreK-6 Pre-Scripts from CC when they come out

1-4 WWE in Summer

5-8 WWS in Summer

4-6 IEW in Essentials

7-12 Omnibus, other VP resources, IEW in Challenge and/or Classical Composition, The Lost Tools of Writing and other CC resources

Spelling:

K-6 AAS

4-6 Spelling Plus in Essentials

Reading/Phonics/Lit:

PreK-6 AAR (maybe)

PreK-2 OPGTR and Classical Phonics (this mostly contains word lists)

K Bob Books and readers from MP and VP

1-6 McGuffey Readers 1836 versions for oral reading

K-1 Phonics Museum workbook and readers (not the lesson plans)

K-6 VP and MP lit and guides (done mostly orally)

7-12 Challenge lit, Omnibus lit, lit from MP w/ guides, lit of choice from Vision Forum, Teaching the Classics

I know there is probably way too much in the 7-12 grade years but I will have to pare that down and decide as I go along in those years.

During the elementary years copywork/handwriting will be my focus during our writing and grammar time of the day for the little ones and Essentials homework for my older ones. On the weeks where we don't have CC I hope to focus more on WWE/WWS and FLL, doubling up on lessons. I want to finish FLL before they get to Essentials so I will start in K instead of 1st. I will use MP's Grammar books as they come out to keep our grammar skills fresh in the Summer.

In our spelling time of the day I will just squeeze in as much time with AAS per kids as I can.

For our reading time the kids will read independently or work on a phonics book or lit guide. When they are with me they will read a short passage from a McGuffey reader aloud and either discuss a book using the lit guide questions orally or do a phonics lesson. Because I have no idea what the upper levels of AAR look like I can't plan for that but if I like it well enough I may use it instead of OPGTR and CP. I am already using and loving AARPL1 with my preschoolers.

stm4him

In a nutshell

K-4. Learn to read fluently

Learn manuscript and cursive fluidly

Learn basic grammar & spelling

Methods: phonics, copywork/dictation, narration

Materials: CLE reading & LA, WWE, CM original writing

5-8. Reading across all subjects

Grammar, vocabulary, writing

Methods: Greek & Latin roots, written narrations, outlining, summarizing

Materials: CLE LA & CLE Reading, WTM logic stage reading lists plus other booklists include. VP, AO, etc.

9-12. Literature Study, advanced Grammar, essay and creative writing

Methods: WTM literature/great books study, writing across curricula

Materials: WTM recommendations, various essay helps such as The Lively Art of Writing, Jensen's Format Writing, pro gym exercises, etc.

K: Jolly Phonics, Dancing Bears A, HWT, Beatrix Potter Copywork for Beginners

1/2: Jolly Grammar, AAS, WRTR, Z-B Manuscript, WWE1

3-5: Galore Park English, MCT LA, Teach Me Joy cursive

6+: Not sure. I like Galore Park a lot right now and may stick with that. I haven't even started to think about high school.

I'll play. I love writing about my ideal world....

Writing:

1st to 4th: Oral Narration, storytelling, ideas from CM and the Bravewriting Lifestyle; write cards and letters, weekly Personal Journal, NaNo if they want to

5th-6th: Begin written narration, possibly use a course like Bravewriters or IEW

7th Plus: Possibly LToW or Progym course; Rhetoric course (haven't planned this far yet for writing, I think it will depend on the kid).

Handwriting & Typing

(K/1st to 3rd/4th grade):

JOY Cursive

Copycat's Proverbs copywork

Copywork Jar and Dance Mat Typing

(4th/5th Grade Plus)

Book of Mottoes

expect nice penmanship & touch typing across subjects

Teach italic if non-cursive writing is not picked up (for applications, forms, etc.)

Grammar:

3rd to 12th: Grammar through Latin

3rd-5th: KISS Grammar course (about 3-4 pages a week)

High-school: Our Mother Tongue (1 year review)

Reading:

Literature from HUFI, AO, LCC or the 1000 good books list

Middle / High School: Add in select Great Books, probably from LCC

Spelling:

K until 1st/2nd: Webster's Speller

2nd/3rd to 4th/5th: Dictation Resource Book / Spelling Plus

4th/5th and up: Studied Dictation

If needed: SWR

I think it's fun, too!

Kinder

Memoria Press K

Grades 1-8

CLE Language Arts with IEW for writing and spelling supplementation

Wordly Wise

Reason for Handwriting

TOG literature

Grades 9-12

TOG literature and writing

Hmmm....somehow, having such a condensed list makes me feel like we don't do enough. ;)

Middle and high school are clearly not set in stone...

Kid #1:

1-2: FLL, WWE, mish mash of spelling (we've done AAS and now are doing R&S Spelling and HTTS)

3-4: MCT, WWE, Killgallon, and probably HTTS (not sure if we'll keep R&S or not), maybe throw in some KISS grammar

5-8: WWS... grammar TBD - maybe just finish up KISS and call it good?

9-12: Writing With Style should be out, right? ;)

For all grades, we're basically following WTM style lit for now. I don't know if that will change in the later grades or not. Right now, I'm not worrying about it!

Kid #2:

Grammar:

K-?: FLL or R&S English - whichever one fits him better (we'll start FLL1 in K and see how that goes - he needs a LOT of work in language at this point, and R&S may be what he needs, since it gives them tons of practice on basic concepts like word order).

3 or 4-?: MCT plus FLL or R&S

Writing:

1-4: WWE

5-8: WWS and maybe Creative Writer (I think he'll be one), Killgallon

9-12: Writing With Style (I hope!)

This child may get off this schedule if the language issue persists long term. I have no clue what he'll be like a year from now, let alone several years! Still trying to figure him out.

Spelling:

1-?: Probably HTTS.

Reading/Phonics:

PreK-?: Webster's Speller, I See Sam books

Literature will be done WTM-style as above.

Kid #3 will probably do something like Kid #1. They seem a lot alike so far. He probably won't need the grammar work like Kid #2 will, so I might just wait until 2nd grade and start FLL3 with him then, and he'll probably listen in on MCT with Kid #2.

All plans subject to change...

K-4 -- FLL, WWE, with MCT and Killgallon starting in 3rd/4th grade

5-12 -- Abeka, WWS, Creative Writer, MCT and Killgallon.

We'll just have to see how it goes in the upper levels... I only have one there now, so we're testing everything out with him.

If I were starting again, I'd use Superphonics for the first while, with HWT printing and some copywork. Then, at age seven, I'd use Galore Park Junior English, followed by Galore Park SY English with extra literature (LL7, probably, then unit studies), then GP English Year 9 with extra literature. That would take me up to age 14. At that point, I'd start to work towards UK IGCSE and A level exams.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

Pre-K: AAR-Pre-1, HWOT pre-k & K.

K-4th: Phonics Road (4 levels), DIY copywork, TOG writing assignments.

5th-8th: Latin Road to English Grammar (3 levels), TOG writing assignments, possible other supplements based on dc interests.

9th-12th: TOG writing assignments, periodic grammar and vocabulary review, possible other supplements based on dc interests.

• 9 years later...

I know this is a resurrected zombie thread , AND the first time around that it was posted, I had already graduated DS#1, and DS#2 was a senior, BUT... I'll play. 😉 

Because different students respond better to different curricula, AND because students change so much over the years, I think it's not the best idea to lay out a K-12 plan of what specific programs or resources you will use. Also, because students vary so widely in their developmental timetables, a very broad guideline of the different LA topics and when they are generally best touched on for the typical student is often more helpful. And then from year to year:  research and readjust as needed for each individual student.

Overview of Language Arts / English Skills by grade

GRADES K-1
- Reading -- phonics, learn to read program; progresses to simple readers = student reads aloud to parent
- Read Alouds -- parent reads aloud and/or usesaudio books, from quality books above student's reading level
- Handwriting -- penmanship/copywork; learning to print letters and numbers
- Phonics -- in support of Reading

GRADES 1-2
- Reading -- beginning to learn/solidifying reading skills; student reads quality books at grade level, some as "buddy style" -- "you read a page, I read a page"
- Read Alouds -- parent reads aloud and/or usesaudio books, from quality books above student's reading level
- Handwriting -- penmanship/copywork; manuscript / printing instruction and practice
- Phonics -- in support of Spelling and Reading
optional:
Solo Read -- 10-20 min., "book basket" choices to aid fluency and/or support other subjects
Free Read -- books, magazines, etc. of personal interest to student
optional:
- Spelling -- basic word families and Dolce/sight words, phonics patterns
Writing -- simple sentences; beginning oral narration, optional creative writing
Grammar -- capitalization, punctuation, what is a sentence

GRADES 3-4
- Reading -- build reading confidence, practice for fluency and stamina, begin to read for content subjects
- Read Alouds -- as above
- Handwriting (cursive instruction and practice)
- Writing (sentences; narration, beginning free writing/journal writing, short book reports, etc.)
- Grammar -- parts of speech, grammar mechanics, beginning grammar usage
- Spelling
optional:
Solo Read -- as above; 20-25 min.
Free Read -- as above

GRADES 5-6
- Reading-- build vocabulary and stamina, "stretch reading muscles", read various genres, read for content, read for fun, beginning appreciation of language
- Read Alouds  / optional: Solo Read  /  optional: Free Read
- Typing -- if Handwriting practice is no longer needed, learn "touch typing" to facilitate writing future papers
- Writing -- narration, single paragraphs, variety of types of writing & assignments, optional creative writing
- Grammar -- parts of speech, grammar usage & mechanics, types of sentences, more complex sentence structures
- Spelling
optional:
Solo Read -- as above; 25-35 min.
Free Read -- as above
- Vocabulary

GRADES 7-8
- Literature -- beginning to read some classics as well as quality YA books; beginning/gentle literary terms, discussion, and analysis with a few works
- Writing -- introduce short (1-5 paragraph) essays of various types, and some beginning expository (factual/research) writing
- Grammar -- complex grammar concepts; introduce diagramming, if desired
optional:
- Spelling -- if still needed; if NOT, can combine Spelling & Vocabulary, OR switch to just Vocabulary, OR drop
- Vocabulary
- Read Alouds
- Solo Read
- Free Read

GRADES 9-12 --> "LA" becomes the English credit
- Literature -- read, discuss, analyze, write about classics — novels, novellas short stories, poetry, plays, essays
- Writing --  multi-paragraph & multi-page essays of various types, research papers with citations, Science lab report, business & real-life writing, create/give a power point presentation, using MLA and/or APA format
optional:
- Vocabulary -- from the Literature; possible Greek/Latin roots-based program, or vocabulary for ACT/SAT test prep
- Public Speaking -- research/write/prepare/give different types of oral presentations in front of a group; presentation with a power point, visual aids, demonstration, etc.
Grammar -- possible light review, if needed, in support of strengthening Writing and proof-editing, and/or Foreign Language support
Read Aloud -- do some Literature together; enjoy family "reader's theater" of classic plays; share enjoyable or important books

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Because different students respond better to different curricula, AND because students change so much over the years, I think it's not the best idea to lay out a K-12 plan of what specific programs or resources you will use. Also, because students vary so widely in their developmental timetables, a very broad guideline of the different LA topics and when they are generally best touched on for the typical student is often more helpful. And then from year to year:  research and readjust as needed for each individual student.

I'm glad you resurrected this. I'm going to save this for my reference. Such a good list.

• Like 1

Thank you! I love to think long term like this! I have 3 in school so far, but I’m not going to share each one, just the plan for my K because I’m adjusting what mistakesI made with my first 2 . lol

K - Abeka Phonics

A Reason for Handwriting K 

1st - Abeka Phonics Grade 1

ZB handwriting 1

Assuming she has mastered phonics after grade 1 like her brothers.

Grade 2 - Reading from booklists

WWE 1, FLL 1 

Spelling (not sure which program with her, I’ll have to wait a see if she is a good speller or not. Considering AAS if she struggles)

ZB cursive 

Grade 3 - reading from a booklist I make

WWE 2, FLL 2

Spelling 

Typing

Grade 4 - booklist for reading 

WWE 3, FLL 3

Grade 5 - booklist 

Spelling

FLL 4 alternating with Teaching Writing with Guided Analysis 

That’s as far as I know what my “plan” is that could change at any time.

Edited by Elizabeth86