Menu

Favorite news story of the day: Anonymous Santas paying layaway balances

Sentimental saps like me love this sort of Christmas tale:

The young father stood in line at the Kmart layaway counter, wearing dirty clothes and worn-out boots. With him were three small children.

He asked to pay something on his bill because he knew he wouldn't be able to afford it all before Christmas. Then a mysterious woman stepped up to the counter.

"She told him, 'No, I'm paying for it,'" recalled Edna Deppe, assistant manager at the store in Indianapolis. "He just stood there and looked at her and then looked at me and asked if it was a joke. I told him it wasn't, and that she was going to pay for him. And he just busted out in tears."

Read the article here

I am still crying with joy over this wonderful story. We have had those years where things were tough. So happy to see people being so generous and helping others out. My heart aches for the woman who lost her husband, but what a wonderful way to cherish his memory. Those families she blessed will forever remember her and her DH each year as they celebrate the holidays. What a wonderful way to make his memory live on.

A KMart near us started this!!! And it's spreading. People have been doing it all over Michigan and the news the other night said it had spread as far as California with someone walking into a store there and paying $5000 on layways. We're going out Monday to do it too! I cannot wait. :)