Menu

Would you start Latin????

Bula Mama

I am thrilled to be able to homeschooling my 9 year old again for the next 2 years starting in Aug. He's been in an English medium school where we live in India for the last 2 years.

I taught Latin to his older sisters for 3 years before they started school here and even though they didn't get to continue, I know they are glad they studied it. They started when they were 10 and 12, though.

Because of our work here it's highly unlikely that I will homeschool this youngest son more than the next 2 years. I MIGHT be able to possibly stretch it to 3. When he's older I suspect he will probably choose to go to the fantastic boarding school that his 13 year-old brother is currently at. (sniff!) This school does teach foreign languages but not Latin.

Question: If you were me would you teach him Latin for the next 2 years knowing that he will most likely not be able to continue??????? Do you think he would significantly benefit or not?

Edited by Bula Mama

I would teach him while you have the chance. I would just plan 2 years worth of study possibly even using a program geared towards getting to translation and lots of derivatives quickly. I think Henle might work for that objective but I haven't looked at it because we're using lfc and don't have the time limit you are working with. I know others here are using it and could probably provide better details. I think you can cover a substantial amount of Latin in two years.

:iagree: I did not take Latin as a student but can see now that I am teaching my son (and learning too) that it would have made other language study easier. Latin is a wonderful base for the romance languages but also for understanding English more. You really can do a lot in two years that will benefit him in his later schooling.

What foreign languages does the boarding school offer? Perhaps it would be best to get a head start on those.

Rosie

French, German, Bengali (which I am learning to speak and it's actually structured a lot like Latin), Hindi. I could teach him some Bengali but I would have to basically create a curriculum to do that. I took Spanish in High School and sure wish that they taught that since it would be in my comfort zone! To be honest I'm not sure I could handle teaching him a language I haven't studied before right now since I'm still learning a language myself......

I would teach him while you have the chance. I would just plan 2 years worth of study possibly even using a program geared towards getting to translation and lots of derivatives quickly. I think Henle might work for that objective but I haven't looked at it because we're using lfc and don't have the time limit you are working with. I know others here are using it and could probably provide better details. I think you can cover a substantial amount of Latin in two years.

I used Henle with my dds's. We used Latina Christiana first which did include a lot of derivatives but we found it fairly boring. They liked Henle much better.

Anyway have an opinion about what might be good for the above goals??????

I used Henle with my dds's. We used Latina Christiana first which did include a lot of derivatives but we found it fairly boring. They liked Henle much better.

Anyway have an opinion about what might be good for the above goals??????

Could you go through LC at a faster pace and then move into First Form or Henle? I don't think I'd start Henle with a 9 year old, but I've heard that First Form is like Henle with a better format.

Definitely take the opportunity to teach him Latin. He's at the perfect age to begin.

My dd started Henle halfway through 4th grade after doing GSWL. I highly, highly recommend GSWL as a brief intro before starting Henle with a young kiddo. It's all grammar and translation, similar to Henle albeit much simpler.

As for whether to start, I don't have any advice but I am :bigear:. We started Henle about a year ago and we've been taking it very slowly. Now there's a chance dd might go to school next year for 6th. The school offers French and Spanish, and I'm confident that what dd has learned from Latin provides a nice background for either of those. She'd have a chance to take more Latin in high school.

I'd vote learning Bengali together. The two of you are bound to remember different things, which would help you both progress. Creating your own curriculum to teach him would be horrible, but couldn't it work if you studied as co-students? I'm thinking back to one of Ester Maria's posts where learners would sit opposite each other with the learning materials and mess though it, basically.

Rosie

My older boys were elementary age when we lived in Germany. We did gentle Latin about once a week, but I also poured German into them.

I would start both Latin and a local language. Just make sure they aren't back to back or have different methods.

You might try to see if there are kids' texts written for the Indian diaspora community.

I've used Latina Christiana, but I am using Latin for Children with my 8yo now (slowly) and we are both really enjoying it. The DVDs are more engaging than Latina Christiana, it includes grammar (I like that), but also derivatives for every lesson and cultural background too. It starts sentence translations around Lesson 8. There are 3 levels of LFC, and starting with an older kid you might get thru all 3 of them...or not. There are an activity book and history reader to go along with it, plus online vocabulary at "headventure land" web site. It's by Classical Academic Press, but you can get it at Rainbow Resource.

This is basically what I'm doing too. The only reason I didn't initially say just go for LFC is because I wasn't sure about completing three levels in 2 years and I was thinking you would want to go for as much mastery as possible in the shortest time period. I used Prima Latina between Song School Latin and LFC and we also found it boring.

I just looked at our LFC A to see how many lessons are in there. We go a little slower than the recommended schedule because my dd is young and we're in no hurry so I wasn't sure about the length. It has 32 lessons. Theoretically I guess you could probably get through all 3 levels in 2 years. I think adults learn Latin in seminary in less than 2 years. So far my experience has been that dd (who is 6) learns foreign language more easily and retains more than either myself or any other adult I know so I guess it can be done. DD loves LFC and I think if we were pushing we could spend about 20 - 30 minutes a day and finish at least one lesson per week. The videos are engaging and she enjoys the website and activity book. It's one of her favorite subjects. I have no Latin background. I took 2 years of Spanish in high school and 1 in college but don't remember much of it and I haven't found teaching LFC to be difficult because of the dvd's and format of the curriculum.

I'd vote learning Bengali together. The two of you are bound to remember different things, which would help you both progress. Creating your own curriculum to teach him would be horrible, but couldn't it work if you studied as co-students? I'm thinking back to one of Ester Maria's posts where learners would sit opposite each other with the learning materials and mess though it, basically.

Rosie

I will really have to think about this because it could be good but wouldn't be easy. The problem is that there are NO beginner materials not written for adults. And those aren't great. There are books but they assume the child already speaks the language. I'm probably 1/4 to 1/3 of the way to fluent (know grammar and good basic daily vocab.) so I COULD teach him. My main insecurity is that while I can read it, I really don't spell well in the script (it's not always logical) so I know it would be a lot of work for me to come up with something for him.

I was wrong. Just checked and since the school is in a different part of India they don't teach Bengali. Bengali would help in learning Hindi (structure and some vocab. but not alphabet) but it still wouldn't be what he might study later. But would prepare him. But so would Latin. So know I will have to choose!!!

Thanks for making me think!!!!!

This is basically what I'm doing too. The only reason I didn't initially say just go for LFC is because I wasn't sure about completing three levels in 2 years and I was thinking you would want to go for as much mastery as possible in the shortest time period. I used Prima Latina between Song School Latin and LFC and we also found it boring.

I just looked at our LFC A to see how many lessons are in there. We go a little slower than the recommended schedule because my dd is young and we're in no hurry so I wasn't sure about the length. It has 32 lessons. Theoretically I guess you could probably get through all 3 levels in 2 years. I think adults learn Latin in seminary in less than 2 years. So far my experience has been that dd (who is 6) learns foreign language more easily and retains more than either myself or any other adult I know so I guess it can be done. DD loves LFC and I think if we were pushing we could spend about 20 - 30 minutes a day and finish at least one lesson per week. The videos are engaging and she enjoys the website and activity book. It's one of her favorite subjects. I have no Latin background. I took 2 years of Spanish in high school and 1 in college but don't remember much of it and I haven't found teaching LFC to be difficult because of the dvd's and format of the curriculum.

I've never really looked at LFC but will now. Thanks for all of the info!!!!

Could you go through LC at a faster pace and then move into First Form or Henle? I don't think I'd start Henle with a 9 year old, but I've heard that First Form is like Henle with a better format.

Definitely take the opportunity to teach him Latin. He's at the perfect age to begin.

Could be good! Glad to hear First From is better. I had a love/hate relationship with Henle.

My dd started Henle halfway through 4th grade after doing GSWL. I highly, highly recommend GSWL as a brief intro before starting Henle with a young kiddo. It's all grammar and translation, similar to Henle albeit much simpler.

As for whether to start, I don't have any advice but I am :bigear:. We started Henle about a year ago and we've been taking it very slowly. Now there's a chance dd might go to school next year for 6th. The school offers French and Spanish, and I'm confident that what dd has learned from Latin provides a nice background for either of those. She'd have a chance to take more Latin in high school.

What is GSWL????

If you end up looking for Hindi, one of the Australian curriculum suppliers has been trying to get rid of a level of Rosetta Stone for ages so it's heavily discounted.

Rosie

Wow, that is a GREAT price!!! And we'll be in NZ at one point where we could have it sent........hum.

I just wish it was Bengali!!! :001_smile: I would have to stay away while he was doing it or it would totally mess up my Bengali since they have similarities.

I will have to think about this for a bit!!!!

Getting Started With Latin If you like the grammar and translation of Henle but need a lighter intro, you can't go wrong with GSWL :).

Hey, this looks pretty good!!! I wonder if we could work hard and get through this pretty quickly as an intro. to First Form? Do you all think that would be a good plan?

LFC does look good, too, and I've seen a lot of chatter about Lively Latin. Does anyone know how Lively Latin compares to First Form (just because I've done a good share of Henle in the past so it's what I know.)?

Edited by Bula Mama

I will really have to think about this because it could be good but wouldn't be easy. The problem is that there are NO beginner materials not written for adults. And those aren't great. There are books but they assume the child already speaks the language. I'm probably 1/4 to 1/3 of the way to fluent (know grammar and good basic daily vocab.) so I COULD teach him. My main insecurity is that while I can read it, I really don't spell well in the script (it's not always logical) so I know it would be a lot of work for me to come up with something for him.

I was wrong. Just checked and since the school is in a different part of India they don't teach Bengali. Bengali would help in learning Hindi (structure and some vocab. but not alphabet) but it still wouldn't be what he might study later. But would prepare him. But so would Latin. So know I will have to choose!!!

Thanks for making me think!!!!!

Well, you can decouple the skills. Focus on speaking and listening, with reading a little behind and writing behind that. Start with basic concepts like introductions, simple verb construction, basic vocabulary.

FWIW, learning Latin as a formal sit down and study language and the Bengali as a community language done informally and orally might help prevent confusion.

Maybe if you started a separate thread about Bengali, someone would pop up with a great resource.

My biggest language regret is that we didn't learn Japanese while living there. I can't get that time and opportunity back.

Hey, this looks pretty good!!! I wonder if we could work hard and get through this pretty quickly as an intro. to First Form? Do you all think that would be a good plan?

LFC does look good, too, and I've seen a lot of chatter about Lively Latin. Does anyone know how Lively Latin compares to First Form (just because I've done a good share of Henle in the past so it's what I know.)?

If you can do 20-30 min daily, you'd easily get through GSWL in 3 months (we did a lot of those exercises orally).

Visual Latin does great on making the grammar a breeze to learn. It's inexpensive, downloadable or DVD (both with printables), and can be done fairly independently...or you could learn it together. There are videos that are actually very interesting and fun and that would keep you from having to teach him since you're busy learning a language yourself. It also has vocab of course, but it's very fluid and fun. It's just an all around great program. You can take it at whatever pace you like and it's quick and painless. :) YOu could easily bump it up to get even more done in your time crunch. There are two levels so far.

I used Lively Latin with ds#2 at that age. We had tried LC1 & PL, but all 4 of us found that curriculum really dry & boring. The next year I put ds#2 in LL1, ds#1 in LP1, & dd in SYRWTL Latin 1. Dd worked mostly independently & really enjoyed the study. Ds#1 worked with me, but struggled after ch3 when the difficulty really ramps up. Ds#2 worked with me & has a better grasp of Latin than either of his siblings. He finished all of LL1 & more than half of LL2 before beginning PS this year. He has chosen not to continue Latin at PS as it is only offered to the top class & he needed to take other electives to meet his career goals.

Lively Latin takes a very CM approach to Latin. It also covers English grammar, derivatives, Classical History, art appreciation, & a bit more. This would simplify what you needed to teach, giving you more time on other subjects. We aimed to cover 1-2 activities daily, taking 15-45 minutes depending on the activities. I liked the way the topics varied from day to day as it gave ds#2 time to process the Latin & really learn the material. Latin was ds#2's favorite subject. When we visited family in the States for a month I put a couple lessons of LL & a few lessons of MUS in am 1" binder with a blank book to use as a journal. I had him do 1-2 pgs of Latin & Maths + write a page in his journal each day. This easily completed in less than an hour & helped us to not lose our routine of school.

Lively Latin is available in pdf download, so maybe you could use your i-pad, saving a bit of weight in your suitcases ;) If you want to have a look at LL, give me a ring when you are here in NZ. PM me & I'll give you my phone # & cell #.

JMHO,

I used Lively Latin with ds#2 at that age. We had tried LC1 & PL, but all 4 of us found that curriculum really dry & boring. The next year I put ds#2 in LL1, ds#1 in LP1, & dd in SYRWTL Latin 1. Dd worked mostly independently & really enjoyed the study. Ds#1 worked with me, but struggled after ch3 when the difficulty really ramps up. Ds#2 worked with me & has a better grasp of Latin than either of his siblings. He finished all of LL1 & more than half of LL2 before beginning PS this year. He has chosen not to continue Latin at PS as it is only offered to the top class & he needed to take other electives to meet his career goals.

Lively Latin takes a very CM approach to Latin. It also covers English grammar, derivatives, Classical History, art appreciation, & a bit more. This would simplify what you needed to teach, giving you more time on other subjects. We aimed to cover 1-2 activities daily, taking 15-45 minutes depending on the activities. I liked the way the topics varied from day to day as it gave ds#2 time to process the Latin & really learn the material. Latin was ds#2's favorite subject. When we visited family in the States for a month I put a couple lessons of LL & a few lessons of MUS in am 1" binder with a blank book to use as a journal. I had him do 1-2 pgs of Latin & Maths + write a page in his journal each day. This easily completed in less than an hour & helped us to not lose our routine of school.

Lively Latin is available in pdf download, so maybe you could use your i-pad, saving a bit of weight in your suitcases ;) If you want to have a look at LL, give me a ring when you are here in NZ. PM me & I'll give you my phone # & cell #.

JMHO,

Thanks so much, Deb!!! Really appreciate the review!

I'm planning on SOTW 1 with a few other books and read-alouds and would really like to do Memoria Press' Intro. to Classical Studies as well (D. Greek Myths, Fam. Men of Rome and Bible in the same guide.). I think together these won't be overwhelming. Do you think LL would add that much more history to be overkill, too, or possibly just compliment????? Guess we could skip portions of that if we wanted to.

I'm planning on SOTW 1 with a few other books and read-alouds and would really like to do Memoria Press' Intro. to Classical Studies as well (D. Greek Myths, Fam. Men of Rome and Bible in the same guide.). I think together these won't be overwhelming. Do you think LL would add that much more history to be overkill, too, or possibly just compliment????? Guess we could skip portions of that if we wanted to.

I don't think it would be overkill. I would not skip the history pages. Even if some of it ends up review, that is never a bad thing. The people who seem to not like LL have usually not used to as written, but instead have skipped parts of it. I think the way LL is organized gives the student time to really digest the heavier grammar, rather than rush through the material. It is a gentle approach to Latin, but of the 5 programs I've used it was the most effective as well. :) In your situation I would suggest a LCC approach with maths, Lively Latin, writing, & B1ble daily. You could make a list of 5 other subjects to hit weekly. Maybe SOTW, Intro to Classical Studies, nature studies, literature, & a fun hands-on topic chosen by your ds#2. This would keep your days short & give you lots of time for those other things. :D Let me know when you plan to be at the place you stayed at before. I'd love to catch-up if you've got time. You are welcome here as well, if you want to drive north we could :party:

Edited by Deb in NZ

I have Famous Men of Rome & D. Greek Myths if you want to borrow them. Let me know. And I have an extra copy of SOTW 1 if you want it.

I don't think it would be overkill. I would not skip the history pages. Even if some of it ends up review, that is never a bad thing. The people who seem to not like LL have usually not used to as written, but instead have skipped parts of it. I think the way LL is organized gives the student time to really digest the heavier grammar, rather than rush through the material. It is a gentle approach to Latin, but of the 5 programs I've used it was the most effective as well. :) In your situation I would suggest a LCC approach with maths, Lively Latin, writing, & B1ble daily. You could make a list of 5 other subjects to hit weekly. Maybe SOTW, Intro to Classical Studies, nature studies, literature, & a fun hands-on topic chosen by your ds#2. This would keep your days short & give you lots of time for those other things. :D Let me know when you plan to be at the place you stayed at before. I'd love to catch-up if you've got time. You are welcome here as well, if you want to drive north we could :party:

Again, great advice, thanks!!! Really appreciate it! I've thought LL looked really good and your ds #2 is probably quite similar to mine!

We'll be at 'our place' in and out (out over the weekends) after the New Year for a few weeks. Doubt if we could catch up this trip since our main focus during the week is settling dd #1 in for Uni, but we'll be back in 6 months!!! :001_smile:

I have Famous Men of Rome & D. Greek Myths if you want to borrow them. Let me know. And I have an extra copy of SOTW 1 if you want it.

I got SOTW on Kindle so it will be more portable since we'll be back and forth a bit. Hum, VERY nice offer on the others but I'm wondering if you really want me to take them back and forth to India. Things get REALLY dirty here! :001_smile:

We tried Prima Latina last year with my 10 and 8 yo. IMO it was painful. My kids did not seem to mind it as much. We switched to Latin for Children this year and we all love it! They also have free game/vocabulary quizes online. We have not used them; the text and activity book seem to be enough for my kids. We do carry the vocabulary cards in the cards with us to practice on the go as well as use the chant cd in the car. I do not think you can go wrong introducing Latin-even if it is for a short while. It will only help later with other languages.