Menu

Something Like Fly Lady?

PIE!

Time to face reality. My house will not clean itself. You'd think it would, after all I've done for it - but no. It is very stubborn on the matter.:glare:

Anyway - I need help! I've done fly lady, and it worked just fine for quite a while. Then life happened and now we're back to the beginning. I suppose fly lady would work again, but I don't think I can get as enthusiastic about my shiny sink as I once did. And all those emails got to be annoying.

So what are my other house cleaning internet options?

Try Motivated Moms. IMO it is way easier to start doing than Fly Lady, which I think can be overwhelming. It doesn't have as many items, which I prefer. You pay for it...something like $8 a year or so? You can choose different formats and decide what works for you.

DH and I prefer MM for this season of life, when we are busy w/ three kids. I am off the wagon currently but plan to get back on soon. When we use it, it really does help us.

I need to get back into Flylady now. As you said, life happened.

But that's why she says, "You are not behind. Jump in where you are." It's a constant thing, having to remind myself to keep up the routines. It's hard to work at it long enough to really make it a routine and be on auto-pilot, and even if I do, something little can throw me off track. When that happens I just have to stay optimistic and jump in again.

I bought her book, Sink Reflections, and unsubscribed from the emails. I can leave it on a side table or something and page through when I need to read. I don't feel inundated by it and most of her advice is available without digging through the emails or the website. I do go to the website for Kelly's Missions, but that's easy, just make the Missions page your homepage and then you don't have to remember to check it every day.

I get thrown off occasionally no matter what system I use.

Why does everyone get annoyed by the e-mails???

Do we not realize that we don't have to get them? Or that we can set our mailbox to corral them into a separate folder or even directly to trash?

I love the inspirational stories. I just read them at the website's bigtent forum instead of having them sent to my e-mail.

I say, if FlyLady worked in the past, use that. Just set your preferences to No E-Mail.

Do we not realize that we don't have to get them? Or that we can set our mailbox to corral them into a separate folder or even directly to trash?

I love the inspirational stories. I just read them at the website's bigtent forum instead of having them sent to my e-mail.

I say, if FlyLady worked in the past, use that. Just set your preferences to No E-Mail.

I can't get off the email list, and I don't know why. It says I'm unsubscribed, but I keep getting them. I'm thinking about going with motivated mom this year. I need something to tell me what do.

Can you describe Motivated Moms? I went to the website linked above and opened one of their sample pages and was overwhelmed at all the things to do (between daily and "that day" things)

One thing I like about Flylady is the babysteps method. I don't like the obsessive behavior with the sink and used to hate the multiple emails. Trouble is that some were helpful reminders (Do you know where your laundry is?) and I would open them all. I didn't like her little sermonettes --didn't hit the spot for me at all. So I ended up cancelling.

I like Don Aslett, the cleaning guy. He's funny and has some great ideas. It's definitely not FlyLady, but he did teach me A LOT about cleaning that I didn't know (coming from a childhood museum-clean house.)

I started with Is There Life After Housework, then read the clutter books. Although, fortunately for me, all his books were available at our library.

I just started Bootcamp for Lousy Housekeepers. It has parts of many systems, including FlyLady. But it's based on a focus for each day of the week, which is just easier for me to schedule. I tend to hyper-focus. I've been tweaking it, and did the quick start.

As to Flylady's emails, I don't have time to sort through 10 'inspirational' stories, and 10-15 more emails from her 'partners'. I don't need hey tom, the menu lady, the fashion friend, or the personal trainer. I just need to keep my house clean! LOL. Just the facts!

What is that like? Is it for clutter or just for cleaning? (I have more problems with letting things pile up than actual cleaning.)

Well, there are two sets of cleaning schedules. The first one is the only one that I have done so far and it is good for doing a really good thorough, but manageable deep cleaning of your house in small increments so that you don't get overwhelmed. For instance, on one day you'd only focus on cleaning out your fridge, but over the course of 6-7 days, you deep clean your entire kitchen. It also encourages you, flylady style, to clean for 15 minute intervals at various points in your day. And she has this thing called the "Six List" as well that basically says to make a list of six things to get done each day. They don't have to be "big" things, and if you don't get to them all, just roll the unfinished tasks onto the next day's six list.

I think the second set is more of a general upkeep, but I havent used that one yet, so I don't know much about it.

The Sidetracked Home Executives. It's where the FlyLady got her start. You just make your task cards and go for it. No computer time, no e-mails, just get up and do it.

I like Don Aslett in general, but he's a cleanie. He doesn't understand why some people need systems like S.H.E., lol. Someone who is basically good at housekeeping but needs a little boost would do better with Don than someone whose whole house looks like a dog's breakfast.:D

I used to do FlyLady and tried again not too long ago. I got annoyed b/c it seemed like so many of the emails were just pushing her products or her friends' products - it didn't used to be that way. Anyway, I found less inspiration and more frustration than when I did it many years ago. Just answering your questions about why the emails are annoying to me personally.

Blessings,

Angela

As to Flylady's emails, I don't have time to sort through 10 'inspirational' stories, and 10-15 more emails from her 'partners'. I don't need hey tom, the menu lady, the fashion friend, or the personal trainer. I just need to keep my house clean! LOL. Just the facts!

:iagree:

Do you have a link for that Bootcamp you were talking about?