Menu

Those that use programable thermostats

M-F durign the day we run it at about 75. S & Su we run it about 70. During the night, (starting at about 8:30p-5:30a) we have it set for around 65. DH runs hot and can only sleep when it is VERY cool in teh house. I, on the other hand, sleep with my electric blanket on ALL year round.

M-F durign the day we run it at about 75. S & Su we run it about 70. During the night, (starting at about 8:30p-5:30a) we have it set for around 65. DH runs hot and can only sleep when it is VERY cool in teh house. I, on the other hand, sleep with my electric blanket on ALL year round.

That is to cold for me!

With changing temps throughout the day, does it make your bill more???

We've always set it higher during the day and lower at night. The time at which we have it switch varies with the weather -- when it's really gross around here (we're in the armpit of the nation, it seems) we set it to start cooling earlier in hopes that over the course of evening it will get to a sleep-able temperature by bedtime.

By the way, I've noticed that the temperature I set a thermostat at varies tremendously from house to house. It depends on the siting of the house, the trees around it, the insulation, the relative humidity, whether it's a 2 story house with 2 zone heating and cooling, and just plain ol' outdoor temperatures.

Ours is set to keep the house at 82 degrees, day or night. We have tried slightly higher but then it feels really hot. This temp just feels warm.

It is over 100 outside in the sun. And it is going to get hotter. The heat will break in October, when we hope we can turn off the ac again.

Guest Virginia Dawn

We have 4 programable window units and they are all set at 74 degrees. If it is going to get cooler than that at night we turn them off and open the windows. As soon as the thermometer outside my kitchen window hits 80 the house gets shut back up and the air goes back on. If it doesn't get cooler at night the air conditioners stay at 74 all night.

Ours is at 76 right now...day and night but we have ceiling fans in the bedrooms so that helps. We started at 74 when the hot weather came and I slowly bumped it up as we adjusted to the temp. My preference would be 73 or 74 but there's the whole money thing. Not sure about what is the best option. Maybe call the power company and ask their advice on what to do.

Sheryl

This year I bumped our a/c up to 76, but I've always kept it at 72 in the past. If we get uncomfortable, I'll kick it down a notch. Then overnight, I keep the upstairs a couple degrees cooler, with the ceiling fan going. I don't sleep well at all if it's much over 74.

During the winter, I keep the downstairs around 71 during the day, and leave the upstairs cooler, and then drop the upstairs down to about 62 over night.

I've actually contemplated trying out a dehumidifier this summer, because often when I catch myself wanting to kick the a/c on, it's not really the heat getting to me, but the humidity. But I don't know if that would cost effective or not?

What do you set yours on? Do you program it to a higher temp during the day and cooler at night or do you set it on one temp and leave it?

Right now ours is on 76

I've been doing 78 night and day. I might change it to 80 day/77 night for DH.

Last winter we were broke. 45 at night (yes, 45!) and 55 during the day. Next winter, I'll keep the 45 at night and move it up to 60 or even (big splurge!) 63 during the day.

But most likely, we'll have wood heat, so no thermostats at all, there!

I'm pondering a dehumidfier too.... i think it would really help. Like in the mornings it's cool outside - but still humid, i could get the cooler air in and get rid of the moisture.

We are also planning on getting an attic fan to suck out the hot air - cheaper than what we really need to do (reinsulate the house).

I'm soooo happy to see other people with theirs set on 80. I would love 77-78 - but can't afford it.

In the summer, it's 75 during the day, 72 at night...not much of a difference, lol, but I console myself that I'm saving at least a few pennies on my utilities :-)

In the winter, it's cooler during the day--around 65--and a little warmer at night, around 68. Again, not much of a difference, but still...