Menu

Gifts for the mathematically inclined?

SkateLeft

For Christmas, my 10 yo son has asked for a graphing calculator and "math problems." The calculator part is easy, but I'm not so sure about the math problem bit. :confused: He's at the algebra-and-beyond level (if that makes sense.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for fun mathy stuff for a kid who eats, sleeps and breathes math?

Any of the Martin Gardner books might appeal. And the Art of Problem Solving books (especially the originals, Volumes 1 & 2) will delight any math-happy kid. Maybe Arthur Benjamin's book about Mental Math?

Also, the Teaching Company has some excellent math lectures. The ones by Prof. Benjamin or Prof. Burger are big favorites around here. Oh, and Prof. Zeitz's dvd about mathematical problem solving is a winner (as is his book, The Art and Craft of Problem Solving).

Thank you! I'll look into those.

We have the AoPS series already, since that's what he uses for math. I also have a few of the Teaching Company math courses (he loved the Joy of Thinking!)

But, I hadn't heard of some of the others you mentioned, which is awesome! I'm off to go look them up. :)

Martin Gardner is an excellent suggestion. How about "The Moscow Puzzles"? Or some Raymond Smullyan, perhaps "The Lady Or The Tiger?"? Or this, this, or this? Also, have you considered getting him into computer programming and robotics?

Raymond Smullyan was exactly my suggestion, so let me second it :-) Even in AoPS there is not a lot of work with logic, and Smullyan has some amazing logic puzzles. Start with 'What Is the Name of This Book?' and 'The Lady or The Tiger', or if your son likes chess Smullyan has a couple books of 'The Chess Mysteries of ...'.

Be aware though that not ALL Smullyan's books are logic puzzles, 'This Book Needs No Title', which you might think is a follow up to his earlier 'What Is The Name of This Book?', is actually about Taoism - it's an interesting book but would be a profound disappointment to a child looking for logic puzzles :-)

How about one of these? We haven't read them yet, we'll be getting to them after the first of the year, but they were recommended by some of the TJED folks (I don't follow the TJED method but have found their book lists to be excellent) and they are very highly reviewed. I like the fact that they are more 'story' books - e.g. there are no math problems - it adds some dimension to studying math.

Journey through Genius: The Great Theorems of Mathematics

A Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe: Mathematical Archetypes of Nature, Art, and Science