Menu

Games for two? Settlers of Catan ok? Others?

We need some board games or other games around here. We have Trouble, Go to The Head of The Class (the old version--really old! lol) and the classics (chess, chinese checkers, mancala, cards, etc).

Suggestions for fun, 2 person games for an adult and an 11 yo? No computer pls.

Forbidden Island plays great as two player. Lost Cities is a card based 2 player game that comes out a lot around here. More than Settlers itself, the various 2 player versions like the card game or Starship Catan seem to work better with two. TransAmerica, TransEuropa, etc. in that family play well with two players, and as people have mentioned, the Ticket to Ride series usually has rules to scale down to two players and is still a good game that way. Chrononauts is most fun with two players, I think.

We're always on the lookout, as we're big gamers, and during the day often two people have finished school before the rest. We also have a goddaughter who is a big gamer, but is an only child in a single parent household, so we try to send things that play well with two people, especially since it's usually just the two of them when she ends up in the hospital with her physical issues several times a year.

"Set" is our favorite game when it's just two of us playing. We also have one called "PDQ" that works for two players. Hmmm... Come to think of it, other than Catan, all of our favorite games are card games! And we'll be adding the Catan card game for Christmas (shhhhh....nobody knows this but me, and I want to keep it a surprise for Christmas morning!)

If you like Trouble, move up to Sorry, and if you're up for a challenge, try Parcheesi (tough!).

Also, for playing cards, I HIGHLY recommend the book "101 Best Family Card Games" (Amazon link). It groups card games by type and then from simplest to most difficult. So, "War"-type games, "Hearts"-type games, Solitaire games, and so on. Very, very helpful when you want to try different card games but would prefer a simpler version than the one you, the adult, know.

For two players, my sons & I really like Ticket to Ride (we have the original and Europe), Sorry, Blokus, and a small game from Cranium, Triple Triumph.

Games my 11yo son loves to play but me, not so much: Monopoly (National Parks edition), classic Battleship (the 1960s? edition my husband got as a boy!), and The Game of Life, which I will play only under duress, due to major objections to the game, so he gets lots of commentary throughout!

We need to try Scrabble, now that my 11yo (a) can spell and (b) has learned to play Words With Friends with adult friends of varying skill levels. Between my husband and me, we brought three Scrabble games into the family, lol.

I forgot about Clue! I picked up the classic Clue at a book sale so I could avoid the new version (shudder), and we played it once and liked it. Then, I think, spring came and as usual we forget about board games. Time to bring it out again.

For some reason we don't own Risk. How odd (for us).

I don't think you can even play the Cataan board game with two.... I thought three was the minimum.

Java, Agricola, and possibly Puerto Rico can be played by two. I think Carcasonne is three, though.....

I just received Carcassone today and on the box it says something like "especially good for 2 players".

I don't think you can even play the Cataan board game with two.... I thought three was the minimum.

Java, Agricola, and possibly Puerto Rico can be played by two. I think Carcasonne is three, though.....

Carcasonne is a great two player game. A lot of the two player games we love have already been mentioned so I'm sure I'll be repeating a bit:

Dominion

Ticket to Ride: Europe

10 Days in Africa or USA or Europe

Puerto Rico

Summoner Wars

Jambo

Lost Cities

Stone Age