Menu

PSAT - Commended Students Cutoffs?

We're in Jersey - a tough state for PSAT. But dd scored a 209. Is it relatively sure that she will at least be considered a "Commended Student"?

(Dh has had a tough day; it would be nice to greet him at the door with some good news. And Dd could use an ego-boast. I suspect she thinks she's barely above average. She could use a parade. I'm the kind of momma who doesn't usually give parades. ;))

I have never really looked at any of this NM business. Just never figured anyone was that good at test-taking.

THANKS!

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Edited by Janice in NJ

Janice,

Congrats to both of you on a fantastic score! Although I can't say for certain, I would be almost positive that she'd be commended. I think from what I've read over the years that the cutoff for Commended is usually around 200-202. Did you get her scores in the mail, or did you call?

Have a nice weekend, and do celebrate!

Brenda

Janice,

Congrats to both of you on a fantastic score! Although I can't say for certain, I would be almost positive that she'd be commended. I think from what I've read over the years that the cutoff for Commended is usually around 200-202. Did you get her scores in the mail, or did you call?

Have a nice weekend, and do celebrate!

Brenda

:iagree: Your dd is well above the cutoff for Commended!

Congratulations!:party:

Thanks, Brenda.

Score came today in the mail.

Digging around in the basement for a decent bottle of wine.

(And trying not to kick myself for not working with her on this. She's a laid-back gal. Based on her personality, I didn't want to make a HUGE deal about this test. I really wasn't sure she had it in her. She prepped on her own. Maybe I should have focused on this a bit more.)

Still psyched for her. She earned this one on her own. And that's a good thing. :001_smile:

Thanks again for the kind words, Brenda. Have a GREAT weekend!

Peace,

Janice

Hi. Thought I would post a follow up to this after sleeping on it.

After an evening of family fun, a good night's rest, and a peaceful coffee-morning with Dh before he dashed off to work.... (Shameless disclaimer - The Met Opera opens its NPR season today with a live radio broadcast in case you're in the mood for a bit of "La, la, la".) Anyway, after all of that, I've decided that it was a very good thing that this particular lady earned that score on her own - even if it means a missed opportunity. No regrets. She needs to know what she's made of. (Really. I'm not kidding. I could not convince her to open those prep books until about two weeks before the test. Even then, I couldn't convince her to be hungry about it. I kept telling her, "Hon, I really think you can do this, but you have to want it." I just couldn't figure out why she seem to lack an internal mechanism - an internal push - when I really thought she had the ability. It didn't make sense to me. Why no fire? Why no hunger?)

Things make more sense now. I'm a strong personality around here. (In case ya'll haven't figured that out from my ramblings over the years.) That's good, right? I set high standards, and then I nudge my kids toward hefty goals. Good, right?

Not always.

(I'm starting to figure this thing out.) Sometimes the little people end up thinking that they are riding the momma's coat tails, instead of realizing that they have engines of their own.

They need to feel their own power. Early. And Often! The little lady stood at the sink last night talking to her dad. "I always just kinda figured I was average - or maybe a little below average. I always knew Mom was smart; I just figured I was kinda normal."

She has NO idea. I wish she could go back in time and meet the "16 year old me." I doubt she would be very impressed.

We live and we learn, eh? How is it possible that capable homeschooling could produce kids that think they aren't capable? (Sheesh, this is a tricky job.) I detest the isolating aspect of this educational choice. My kids just haven't been able see their work against a pool of peers. Even though - ironically - that isolation creates the kind of environment where kids can more easily realize their potential. ....even when they don't realize that they HAVE potential.

Like I said, "Sheesh, this is a tricky job!"

But life is grand. All systems are go. This dear one is finding her way.

Thanks for the info, you guys! And thank you for sharing this journey with me. You have NO IDEA how much your support supports!

Peace,

Janice

(I'm starting to figure this thing out.) Sometimes the little people end up thinking that they are riding the momma's coat tails, instead of realizing that they have engines of their own.

They need to feel their own power. Early. And Often! The little lady stood at the sink last night talking to her dad. "I always just kinda figured I was average - or maybe a little below average. I always knew Mom was smart; I just figured I was kinda normal."

She has NO idea. I wish she could go back in time and meet the "16 year old me." I doubt she would be very impressed.

We live and we learn, eh? How is it possible that capable homeschooling could produce kids that think they aren't capable? (Sheesh, this is a tricky job.) I detest the isolating aspect of this educational choice. My kids just haven't been able see their work against a pool of peers. Even though - ironically - that isolation creates the kind of environment where kids can more easily realize their potential. ....even when they don't realize that they HAVE potential.

Like I said, "Sheesh, this is a tricky job!"

But life is grand. All systems are go. This dear one is finding her way.

Thanks for the info, you guys! And thank you for sharing this journey with me. You have NO IDEA how much your support supports!

Peace,

Janice

Congratulations to your dd.

Note to self: Open any post from Janice.

I almost didn't. The PSAT is not relevant to us this year. However, the bolded stuck out for me. I just had a conversation with ds yesterday about taking ownership of his education. I think you are right, I have a child who is going to have to earn his marks on his own, and he's not sure his engine is up and running yet. Until this year I've been very hands on due to some reading/writing delays. This year I've started to pull off the band aid and he's not happy. I'm still working on the balance for his abilities. Thank you, Janice. I appreciate your insights.

Congratulations to all, Janice.

Sometimes the little people end up thinking that they are riding the momma's coat tails, instead of realizing that they have engines of their own.

:iagree: This is so true! I have learned that the less I do to help my OLDER ones, the better. Not only do they need the experience of handling things on their own but they need to know that the accomplishment is truly theirs. They need to know that they are doing these things on their own.

Thanks, Brenda.

Score came today in the mail.

Digging around in the basement for a decent bottle of wine.

(And trying not to kick myself for not working with her on this. She's a laid-back gal. Based on her personality, I didn't want to make a HUGE deal about this test. I really wasn't sure she had it in her. She prepped on her own. Maybe I should have focused on this a bit more.)

Still psyched for her. She earned this one on her own. And that's a good thing. :001_smile:

Thanks again for the kind words, Brenda. Have a GREAT weekend!

Peace,

Janice

Is there an asterisk by her score?

I thought the score report indicates if your child would be commended?

Last year my sophomore son had an asterisk by his score and an explanation saying something to the effect that he didn't qualify since he wasn't a junior.

This year's score shows no asterisk and a tiny 99% under it -- so we are thinking he'll be commended?

Thanks to anyone who can clear this up!

I kept telling her, "Hon, I really think you can do this, but you have to want it."

So then, you DID succeed in your nudgings - that bolded part was a wise nudge, not a nudgy-nudge. And SHE succeeded in her taking the initiative!! Congratulations, Janice's Daughter!!!!! And way to go Janice for continually figuring things out - and thank you for always coming to tell us about it - I learn every time.

Note to self: Open any post from Janice.

And read threads labeled "chats with Janice". (I label when I find gems like this)

This year's score shows no asterisk and a tiny 99% under it -- so we are thinking he'll be commended?

Thanks to anyone who can clear this up!

No asterisk just means they are a junior and meet the qualifications to be in the running.

Any score over 202 should make commended. Sometimes the scores go down as low as 199, but usually 201 or 200. Last year it was 202 if I recall correctly.

Compare your score to your state's average for NMSF. 99% has a chance just based upon percentages.

Congratulations to your dd, Janice. And to her teacher. Now, I'm anxiously awaiting the mail and hoping ds filled in the correct info on the form. :toetap05:

ETA: Received scores today. Note to self: Do not get hopes up for junior year. Even more impressed with Janice in NJ's dd.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

ETA: Please don't anyone quote this, as I'll probably delete in a couple of days. I tend to keep details pretty private, as we want our "net history" to be scant. Thanks!

I'm putting this out there as a word of encouragement for those whose kids aren't academically inclined or struggle with LDs of some kind.

While many of you are rejoicing about your kids' well-deserved high scores (well done, families!), I'm rejoicing that my kidlet with LDs scored exactly at average.

I'm thrilled b/c those scores will put dual enrollment CC within range by senior year.

I'll be applying for accommodations before the SAT, and there will be diligent study for the SATs. We knew that it wasn't worth the investment *at that time* to study for the PSAT.

But truly, we are thrilled with this one's scores. (And this after two "high achieving" older sibs, including one that had less severe LDs.)

Best wishes for all our students (and their teachers ;) )

Edited by Valerie(TX)

Congratulations to you and yours Valerie! Yes, I hear you and I rejoice with you. Different kids have different goals. And I'll "Woo-Hoo" with you when they nail it! :party:

Peace,

Janice

P.S. And I don't believe that test scores are the measure of a student. Shoot, if I believed that, I would have forced dd to work for that test. I believe that students are people, not numbers. And I believe that they are each created by their heavenly Father for his beautiful purposes. Trying to help each of them see steps toward that purpose can be tricky. (I'll be glad when that job shifts to being entirely their responsibility. Helping is such a tricky art.) Keep on keeping on, Momma! Keep on rocking it!

:001_smile: