Menu

Inexpensive Potluck Ideas

Tis the season for Christmas potlucks! I am looking for ideas for anything to bring to potlucks that is inexpensive. I am responsible for almost every part of a meal in at least one of the potlucks I'm attending, so interested in any ideas. I really don't want to spend my entire food budget for the month of December on potluck food!

Mac N Cheese casserole. Really cost effective and kids and adults alike love it. Add in some Ham if you need a heartier dish.

Crock pot of soup and some homemade bread would be delicious this month.

recipes!!!!:bigear: (esp the soup)

THis is the mac N cheese recipe I use when I make it for a pot luck.

It is a Dean Brothers recipe (Paula Deans sons)

Ingredients

2 cups of uncooked elbow macaroni

8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)

8 ounces American cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)

1 cup whole milk

1/2 cup sour cream

2 eggs

1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces

1 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce (optonal)

1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish; set aside. In saucepan, cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Return macaroni to saucepan.

While macaroni is hot, add the cheeses to the pan; stir well. Spread the macaroni mixture in the prepared baking dish. In a bowl, whisk together the milk, sour cream, eggs, butter, hot sauce, and salt. Pour the milk mixture over the macaroni.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

• Lentils cooked with carrot, onion, celery, salt and water
  • Root vegetable stew - potatoes, carrots, turnips, onion, celery, salt and pepper
  • Cut melons (or fruit)
  • A boxed spice cake, cooled and topped with sifted powered sugar
  • Carrot sticks and cucumber slices
  • Deviled eggs
  • Baked pasta (1 box of pasta, tossed with a jar or two of pasta sauce, topped with shredded cheese. Bake until bubbly)

How about White Chili?

White Chili

1 large jar Randall Northern Beans - drained

1 quart chicken stock

1/1/2 cups cooked, diced chicken ( add at least double this amount)

1 cup diced onions

1 1/4 cup diced celery

1 - 4 oz jar/can green chilies

1 1/3 tbls minced garlic

1 1/3 tbls cumin

1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper ( original recipe was more heat, but this amount works for us.)

salt & pepper ( I rarely add S & P)

1 qt cream

Saute onion, celery & garlic in 2 tbls oil. Add beans, stock & spices.

Simmer 1/2 - 1 hour. (I add the chicken towards the end of the cooking time so it holds together and doens't cook to mush).

Add cream and heat thru just before serving.

Serve with shredded cheese on top.

Note: I have been making this for years and I always get asked for the recipe. Like any chili it always tastes better the next day. Yes, you can leave out the cream, you might want to add more chicken broth. If I have time to leave it simmer longer than one hour, I don't drain the beans.

Shoyu chicken

Baked ziti

Chili

Chicken pot pie

Enchilada casserole

Side dishes:

Couscous salad with veggies and feta

Loaded baked potato salad

Green salad

Pasta salad

Black beans and rice

Garlic bread

Cornbread

Thanks in particular for this list--I need to make dinner (not a potluck :D) for 10 of my study folks this Thursday and this will help.

Aannnnd now I'm starving...:lol:

How can you be responsible for the whole meal if it's potluck? :confused:

We take a lot of baked beans, meatballs (packaged) with noodles (and an envelope of Knorr Swedish meatball mix made and stirred in), and bread.

I think she has multiple potlucks, but needs to bring something different to each one, so she needs different recipe types.

How can you be responsible for the whole meal if it's potluck? :confused:

Hmmm - between all the potlucks I'm attending, I am responsible for all parts of a meal - one potluck I'm bringing an appetizer, one a main dish, one a dessert. One potluck I am responsible for a main & a salad.

Dessert ideas (I had posted this in another thread a while ago, just in case it looks familiar):

Some of my favorite take-along desserts:

Margarita Pie (keep in cooler until you serve it)

Cookies and Cream Cake (I use the Pampered Chef version-it's easy and looks really good)

Lemon Mousse Cake

Rainbow Jello I make mine in a big trifle dish, here's a pic:

[ATTACH]5361[/ATTACH]

eta: for the grownups-Guinness cupcakes

Oh! A great way to "ice" chocolate cupcakes for kids? Take them out of the oven, put a marshmallow on top of each, put them back in the oven for a minute or two (just until the marshmallows start to swell), take them out and and gently mash the marshmallow. They are non-messy to carry and look so fun!

Hmmm - between all the potlucks I'm attending, I am responsible for all parts of a meal - one potluck I'm bringing an appetizer, one a main dish, one a dessert. One potluck I am responsible for a main & a salad.

Ah, got it.

didn't mean to sound snarky. Having a morning around here. :glare:

Really, your question is helpful to me (explained in other post)! :001_smile:

Ah, got it.

didn't mean to sound snarky. Having a morning around here. :glare:

Really, your question is helpful to me (explained in other post)! :001_smile:

:) I'm not always the "clearest".

Winter time, I have two main courses... pulled pork ($1.49/lb and it goes a long, long way on hamburger buns from Costco (8 are $1.49). I usually make about 4# to take. The other one is Red Beans and Rice. The pulled pork is from Taste of Home (on-line, but it's a member's only recipe... you can write it out, though), my RB&R recipe is in a box somewhere...

dump cake is a favorite, easy no thought/

spray 13x9 pan with pam

dump in pie filling

dump in crushed pineapple.

I do sort of mix this together a bit,

then dump dry cake mix on top spread evenly, cut up stick of butter/margarine and put on top,

or melt butter and pour over the dry mix.

can use nuts in the cake mix.

bake at about 350 for 45 -60 min until golden brown.

yummy with ice cream or cool whip.

Variations:

Cherry pie with Yellow

Apple pie with Cinnamon swirl- I add more cinammon to the apples, and cut them up a bit more.

those are the ones I do, others have used a variety of the pie filings.

I do a baked ziti/pasta thing

A pound of pasta

A pound of hot Italian sausage (this adds tons of flavor and doesn't taste too hot in the finished dish)

A jar of sauce

A can of diced tomatoes

Mozzerella or Italian blend shredded cheese

Container of ricotta or cottage cheese

I cook the pasta, mix the rest in, and bake til bubby. Reserve a little cheese to top it off. It makes a lot, can be kept warm in the crockpot, and is always a hit. Add bell peppers if you like them. Or veggies instead of sausage if you want vegetarian.

I frequently take a Mexican Casserole using a recipe like this. Vary it depending on what you have on hand. For example, the olives, tomatoes, and green onions are all optional. I cook my own beans from dried, sometimes substitute chicken for the beef, and add corn we froze from the garden. I also make my own sour cream, but this probably isn't an economical option unless you have a dairy cow.

Tis the season for Christmas potlucks! I am looking for ideas for anything to bring to potlucks that is inexpensive. I am responsible for almost every part of a meal in at least one of the potlucks I'm attending, so interested in any ideas. I really don't want to spend my entire food budget for the month of December on potluck food!

I made a Flan today for a party tonight! Super easy and yummy!! It only has eggs, sugar, evaporated milk...not much...very cheap.

Keylime pie is very easy to make as well and very loved at parties.

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/03/key-lime-tarts/