Menu

What color is your car?

We have a metallic grey/green Sienna van and a red Vibe. We chose the color for our Sienna based on its ability to hide dirt. With snow, rain, mud in our climate, I knew I was not going to wash it every week. Dh would have taken any color but black on the Vibe, but he loves the red because it looks sporty. He would love to drive something not quite so utilitarian and "dad-like", so red gives him the illusion of being irresponsible:).

White isn't so bad. Right now, we have a sapphire blue color, but have had several colors over the years. I have had red, black, silver, white, silver again, the sapphire, and ruby. Mostly, I just don't want the same color I am trading in, otherwise it would seem to me to be not a 'new to me' vehicle.

I do agree with pps that white (and silver!) hides dirt and scratches better than darker colors. And, as an aside, I didn't find my black vehicle to be any hotter in the summer than my lighter colored vehicles.... they ALL get real hot here in the south!! :lol:

Barcelona Red, baby!

After I'd decided which make of car I wanted, the only color options that were on the lot were black (no way!), white (nope) or red. The red one came home with me and I named her Ruby. :D

Now, if I were looking at used cars, where the selection was more limited and I had few or no color options, black and white would be close to being deal breakers. Other colors wouldn't matter much.

Pearl red. As opposed to my last vehicle, which was just plain ol' red.

I would not buy a car in a color I didn't like, or even a color that I was just "meh" about, unless I were saving a huge amount of money. I spend a lot of time in my vehicle, I keep each one for a long time, and that type of thing definitely bothers me. My Nissan Quest lasted us 11 years, and my Honda CRV will surprise me if it doesn't match or beat that.

If you keep a car for ten years, a $1,000 price difference is just over $8 per month. $2,000 is just under $17 per month; $3,000 is $25 per month. I have enough wiggle room to take that money from somewhere else if needed. If my budget was zero at the bone, I'd buy the cheapest car available.

• 2 months later...
And how important is that to you considering you'll be driving the car for a few years?

I like dark colors, but I found what I think is a good deal on a van that is white. Not a big fan of white... but I can handle the price tag.

Depends on the vehicle. I love the anonymity of my white Dodge truck. I loved the attention-grabbing inferno red of my old Stratus. My Grand Marquis was a bargain and a half and the color just says taupe, but I think it's an optical illusion paint. Sometimes it looks as silver as a dime and sometime she looks like my cream-laden coffee. It's also fairly anonymous except for 3 car seats. You don't usually see a Grand Marquis with that many boosters… :auto:

And how important is that to you considering you'll be driving the car for a few years?

I like dark colors, but I found what I think is a good deal on a van that is white. Not a big fan of white... but I can handle the price tag.

It's a Ford Fusion, Blue Metallic and I LOVE it!