Menu

do you wrap large gifts?

All of those can work, of course. It's fun to come into the living room and see some exciting present just sitting out, ready to be enjoyed. Or it can be entertaining and absurd to unwrap something irrationally large. ... My personal favorite is the treasure hunt though. Save it 'til the end, then pull out one last, tiny gift (or a small gift wrapped in progressively larger boxes) with the first clue of a hunt... Sometimes the hunt itself can be as memorable as the gift in later years, "Remember the time Mom made that treasure hunt? And we almost didn't realize that that one clue meant the freezer?"... It's just fun. :) So that gets my vote. It's more of a memory-builder. :)

Occasionally I'll wrap large gifts, but usually I just do the treasure hunt thing. Six clues is my limit. :D Then there are the small gifts that are wrapped "large," like dh's new jeans that I stuffed with paper and then wrapped so it was obvious what they were. :lol:

On different occaisions I have done both a treasure hunt and leaving a large gift unwrapped. The treasure hunt was for a bike and it was waiting in the orchard. Part of the reason for the reasure hunt was that I did not want the hassle of getting the bike in and out of the house. :lol:The present that I left unwrapped was a keyboard. Part of the reason for that decision was concern that it might be damaged during the unwrapping process. The look on dd7's face when she woke up and saw the keyboard was priceless. She is very talkative and was literally speechless for a few minutes.

I have a small round side table with a green tablecloth that goes to the floor. Sometimes I put a large present under the tablecloth, and a really big bow on the top of the table, to signify looking under it for the present.

White butcher paper comes in big rolls, and sometimes I wrap something in that and draw on it with big markers for decoration.

Yes, I wrap even large gifts. I occasionally use fabric for wrapping. Last year I made a batch of black and silver fabric gift bags.

When the girls were little I would wrap large items (like a doll house or tricycle) in a new sheet or beach towel with their favorite cartoon or similar. Like a barbie house wrapped in a barbie beach towel.

Santa's gifts are not wrapped, gifts from us or the kids to each other are.

We do usually keep one large item each to wrap because it is fun for them to open the big things. Sleds are our large wrapped things this year. :)

My grandparents were great about the scavenger hunt thing when I was a kid. My grandfather wrote limericks for the clues. We may do some of that when ours are a bit older and both can read.

If you have a Dollar Tree or similar store near you, they usually have huge plastic/vinyl type gift bags for really large gifts. I've used these in the past for tricycles, Huge Lego or Playmobil toys, etc...Sometimes these are slightly see-through if you get close enough, but double bagging would solve the problem. At $1 apiece...and since they're reusable year after year, these are a great way to go.