Menu

Should I throw out old children's magazines?

I'm on a mission to clean up the house and I've already thrown out a lot of clutter and junk (go me!!!), but now I'm deciding about my children's magazines-- do I toss, or do I save? Frankly I think I enjoyed them more than my kids ever did, and now they are really too old (12,13) to read them, but I still think they're great!

I have big collections of Zoo Babies, Kids Discover, Highlights, Wildlife Explorer, Ladybug, Top Secret Adventures, etc...

Would you save or would you donate/toss?

I have been given magazines like those and appreciated it so much. Our library accepts donations of books and magazines that they sell for a small amount. Or I bet many teachers would love having those magazines for their classrooms.

You could give them away on your local Freecycle or drop them off at the library if they have a magazine sharing box.

Take them to the local PS and give them to a teacher. Even if they don't need them for their classroom, they can give them to kids to take home (especially in lower income areas where kids might not have much reading material at home.).

My first thought was to use some for art projects, but that depends on the age of the kids. Mine would love to cut out some of their favorite pictures to collage or write stories about or to turn into paper dolls or puppets. They frequently take the ads from our Sunday paper and cut out paper dolls or other favorite items.

• 3 months later...

Depending on how much you have/how many kids/kids ages. I would definitely hold on to a hefty stack of them. I remember using magazines for a ton for reports in the elementary school years - especially animal reports. I also remember making a very intricate mosaic using many different magazines. You can use them for teaching letters (cutting out the letters themselves or things that start with certain letters) or for studying people (women, men, children). Can you tell I've got littles? :) I, personally, would hold on to quite a few of them. You already have them, so you don't have to pay to print out pictures or worry about cutting up books for pictures.

ETA: Okay, I just reread OP - 12, 13 are your kids' ages - get rid of them. He he. Sorry.

I'm on a mission to clean up the house and I've already thrown out a lot of clutter and junk (go me!!!)

I have big collections of Zoo Babies, Kids Discover, Highlights, Wildlife Explorer, Ladybug, Top Secret Adventures, etc...

Same decluttering going on here. I started to toss some of these and stopped. I'm not big on the ebay route unless I think it'll be worth the trouble -- and magazines are so heavy.

We decided to donate them to a shelter that helps women and kids. Do you have any places like that? Even a daycare or afterschool program might be happy to have great issues like yours, for reading and also good for collages.

I don't know. My friend found a box of her old 3-2-1 Contact mags and they have been my ds8's favorites for years! I'm glad she saved them. Huck is a horder by nature and won't let me throw out any of his other mags. I'm tempted to sneak in there at night and purge but I don't. At some point we'll have to figure out a system of gettting rid say anything over 2 years or something. Otherwise, I would donate or hand down.

I'm on a mission to clean up the house and I've already thrown out a lot of clutter and junk (go me!!!), but now I'm deciding about my children's magazines-- do I toss, or do I save? Frankly I think I enjoyed them more than my kids ever did, and now they are really too old (12,13) to read them, but I still think they're great!

A local chapter of the homeschool honor society did a bookdrive for the children's areas of the local hospital.

I don't think I'd throw them away unless they were really torn up. At least Goodwill them. They will probably make someone's day.