Menu

Need help making homemade pie crust.

I tried to make this last night with my DD and it did not turn out for me. I watched the video as I was preparing it and still couldn't do it. I refuse to give up! I make homemade bread so I can handle a challenge, but this was harder IMO. I even put my butter in the freezer for a few minutes before. I floured my surface well and the rolling pin, but yet my dough was sticking and falling apart.

Any other recipes or ideas?

There's a thread here...I think about what alcohol to use in making vanilla extract...in which someone mentions vodka as the magic ingredient in their flaky pie crust. I'll try to find it; been meaning to try it anyway.

I have no other advice; just keep trying, I guess.

I imagine this is why my grandma used to call a pie that didn't turn out quite perfectly a "bride's pie". Practice, practice, practice!

eta: Found the "formula"...thanks critterfixer!

...It's a chemistry thing.

Pie crusts give you two main problems; tenderness of the crumb and toughness. The toughness issue has to do with gluten development from the flour, water and too much manipulation by the pastry cook trying to get the stupid thing to roll out right.

So, to prevent the development of the gluten you've got to do something about the water, so that you can add enough to work with the crust, but not so much that the gluten goes bonkers.

Enter vodka. Wet. No water. No gluten development.

The recipe uses an equal substitution of vodka for half the water. Best pie-crust in my opinion, and so flexible, it rolls out like Play-doh, and you just about can't crack it.

The vodka needs to be good quality (or you could filter a lower grade) so that it will all evaporate off in cooking and you don't get any aftertaste.

Edited by bbkaren

Are you only having problems rolling it out, or are you having problems with how the actual crust tastes/turns out?

Did you let it rest in the fridge before you tried to roll it out? After I make it, I put it in balls about the size I'll need, wrap in plastic wrap, and put them in the fridge for a half hour or so. Only take out the one you're going to be working so they're cold until the last minute possible. Being cold is the key, if you ask me. :)

I just watched the video and read the recipe in the description and he leaves out a very important step that Annie pointed out: you should wrap your ball of dough in plastic and set it in the fridge at least an hour to firm up again (needs to get cold) before you roll it. Just adding ice water isn't enough. Also be sure not to add too much water. HTH!

If your dough is sticking and falling apart, I wonder if you used too much water. You may not have to use all the water called for in the recipe...which is why you just sprinkle some in a little at a time. I've been having good success with this recipe; Butter Flakey Pie Crust, which was recommended to me here. I read a few of the reviews given to get a few other tips (there's way too many reviews to read them all). One tip was to grate the frozen butter with a cheese grater; which works great.

Also, I used 2t of ice water. Too much???

Hard to tell. If it was so sticky that you couldn't even get it to be usable, I would guess that it may have been a bit too much water. Did you add all two tbs at once or did you drip them in? Are you using a food processor or a hand pastry blender?

Definitely let it rest in the fridge, per PP.

Then, I **always** roll out my crust between two pieces of parchment paper. Always. If I don't, it will stick like crazy and I can't get it rolled out and put on the pie. I also usually put down a piece of Silpat (if you have it) since that keeps the parchment from slipping around too much when I am rolling it out. (No biggie if you don't have Silpat, it is just a convenience.)

Then I always stick the rolled out crust into the freezer (flat) for several minutes before trying to peel the parchment off. When I'm ready to put it in the pie pan, I set the crust on the counter. Carefully peel off the top parchment, lay the parchment back on the top, flip the crust, then peel off the bottom parchment. Then pick up the crust, put it in the pan. If it is still very cold, it will be too stiff to shape to the pan, so just wait a couple of minutes until you can work with it a bit.

It is beyond me how anyone rolls out pie crust without parchment paper!!

It is beyond me how anyone rolls out pie crust without parchment paper!!

Ok, this makes me feel a little better.:) I will give this another try. Also, I added the 2t of ice water gradually. I didn't use a food processor or pastry blender. I tried doing it just like the guy in the video.:confused: Don't even know what a pastry blender is.:001_huh:

I agree the fridge is the most important part. And the amount of water will vary each time, so you have to go by feel. Just enough to make it stick and no more.

I have used a recipe that uses an egg yolk, and 2 tbs vinegar and up to 2 of ice water, with shortening rather than butter. That is for a two crust pie, and is the most full proof one I've used.

A lot is practice. And don't worry if the shape is weird when you roll it and you have to patch it together a bit. Better that than to handle it too much.

Ok, this makes me feel a little better.:) I will give this another try. Also, I added the 2t of ice water gradually. I didn't use a food processor or pastry blender. I tried doing it just like the guy in the video.:confused: Don't even know what a pastry blender is.:001_huh:

For normal pastry you can't use a food processor, you need to use special recipes. Adding the water gradually is correct, because you might not need it all. A pastry blender is just a thing you use to cut in the fat.

pastryblender.jpg

Here is my recipe, just so you have a variety to try sometime and see what works best for you. I am by no means an expert, and have always been intimidated by pie crust, but I learned how to make this several years ago and I always get compliments on my yummy flaky crust. It has always turned out *beautifully* except for the one time when I was not vigilant about having **very** cold butter and water - then it became a sticky mess as soon as I added the water, so I tossed it and started over. Cold ingredients are key.

This is an easy crust. My directions are long simply because they are thorough about the method (good for newbies!).

Pie Crust

* This is my recipe I use for chicken pot pie. If you are making a sweet pie, you would probably want to cut down on the salt, and/or use unsalted butter.

* My standard size Cuisinart food processor is able to make two recipes of this at once (perfect for top and bottom crust).

- Cut a stick of butter into about 8-10 pieces and put in freezer.

- Fill a small cup of ice with water and place in fridge.

- Separate 1 egg yolk and place in fridge.

- Put 1 c. flour and 1 t. salt into food processor and mix briefly until combined (I always hold down the lid of my food processor, otherwise I get puffs of flour coming out the edge of the lid and making a mess). Add chunked butter to flour (distributed in it, not in one large heap) and process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Do not overprocess.

- Whisk together 1 egg yolk and 2 T. ice water. Add to flour mixture and mix with wooden spoon till it just barely comes together. (It is always very crumbly for me, I just kind of press it with my hands until the crumbs kinda hold together in a ball. Do not overwork it. A crumbly ball is good.)

- Wrap ball of crust in saran wrap and let rest in frig for 20 minutes.

Roll out between parchment paper, then place in freezer to chill. When ready to use, set the crust on the counter. Carefully peel off the top parchment, lay the parchment back on the top, flip the crust, then peel off the bottom parchment. Then pick up the crust, put it in the pan. If it is still very cold, it will be too stiff to shape to the pan, so just wait a couple of minutes until you can work with it a bit.

Easy and delish!

I don't know anything about adding the water gradually. I've never done that. I would think adding it gradually could lead to overmixing? But what do I know! I just follow my recipe as I wrote it out above, and it works for me.

Also, if you didn't use a food processor or a pastry blender, how did you work in your butter? That right there might be your problem... the butter needs to be in tiny bits, not mixed up soft. In my understanding, it is the butter which, when heated during baking, causes little gas bubbles to form and makes the crust flaky and light. If your butter is *too* incorporated into the flour, then it will not do that (and it will be a sticky mess before you even get to the rolling out part - that is not good!).

For normal pastry you can't use a food processor, you need to use special recipes.

What do you mean by "normal pastry"? Pastry that uses cut in butter? I have always used a food processor and my crust turns out tender and flaky and nice (though I am cautious to not overprocess when cutting in the butter). Why is a food processor bad? (I really want to know, since I am not an expert and am excited that I can make good crust... but am I missing something?)

Also, if you didn't use a food processor or a pastry blender, how did you work in your butter? That right there might be your problem... the butter needs to be in tiny bits, not mixed up soft.

I used a fork like the guy in video did.

Thanks so much for those great instructions. I will definitely try that next time and see if I can do this.:)

There's a thread here...I think about what alcohol to use in making vanilla extract...in which someone mentions vodka as the magic ingredient in their flaky pie crust.

I second the vodka in the pie crust. It's so much easier that way, and no, it really won't taste like vodka. ;)

If you're turned off by the idea of using alcohol, it really is a teeny amount, and you're likely already using vanilla extract with a small amount of alcohol anyway.

For normal pastry you can't use a food processor, you need to use special recipes.

What do you mean by "normal pastry"? Pastry that uses cut in butter? I have always used a food processor and my crust turns out tender and flaky and nice (though I am cautious to not overprocess when cutting in the butter). Why is a food processor bad? (I really want to know, since I am not an expert and am excited that I can make good crust... but am I missing something?)

I'm with Glory. I always use my food processor when I make pastries that call for cut in butter. It works beautifully. I just use the pulse feature and am careful not to over mix. It's quick and easy. My pie crusts have always been very well received, and my scones have a great texture.

Here is the vodka kind, from America's Test Kitchen but the baked version...

BAKED PIE SHELL shared by walkermamaof4

Course: Desserts

Source: Cooks Illustrated

Published May 1, 2011. From Cook's Illustrated.

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:

We knew that our Fresh Strawberry Pie recipe needed a flaky, buttery crust to contain all of the fresh strawberries we were using. For a pie dough recipe that baked up tender and flaky and rolled out easily every time, we found a magic ingredient: vodka. Using vodka, which is just 60 percent water, gave us an easy-to-roll crust recipe with less gluten and no alcohol flavor, since the alcohol vaporizes in the oven. (less)

MAKES ONE 9-INCH PIE SHELL

Ingredients

1 1⁄4 cups (6 1/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour plus more for work surface

1⁄2 teaspoon table salt

1 tablespoon sugar

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter cut into 1/4-inch slices

1⁄4 cup (about 1 3/4 ounces) chilled vegetable shortening cut into 4 pieces

2 tablespoons vodka cold

2 tablespoons cold water

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Process ¾ cup flour, salt, and sugar together in food processor until combined, about two 1-second pulses. Add butter and shortening and process until homogeneous dough just starts to collect in uneven clumps, about 10 seconds (dough will resemble cottage cheese curds with some very small pieces of butter remaining, but there should be no uncoated flour). Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl with rubber spatula and redistribute dough evenly around processor blade. Add ½ cup flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl and mass of dough has been broken up, 4 to 6 quick pulses. Empty mixture into medium bowl.

2. Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture. With rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together. Flatten dough into 4-inch disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days.

3. Adjust oven rack to lowest position, place rimmed baking sheet on oven rack, and heat oven to 425 degrees. Remove dough from refrigerator and roll out on generously floured (up to ¼ cup) work surface to 12-inch circle about 1/8 inch thick. Roll dough loosely around rolling pin and unroll into pie plate, leaving at least 1-inch overhang on each side. Working around circumference, ease dough into plate by gently lifting edge of dough with 1 hand while pressing into plate bottom with other hand. Leave overhanging dough in place; refrigerate until dough is firm, about 30 minutes.

4. Trim overhang to ½ inch beyond lip of pie plate. Fold overhang under itself; folded edge should be flush with edge of pie plate. Flute dough or press tines of fork against dough to flatten against rim of pie plate. Refrigerate dough-lined plate until firm, about 15 minutes.

5. Remove pie plate from refrigerator, line crust with foil, and fill with pie weights or pennies. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and weights, rotate plate, and bake for 5 to 10 additional minutes, until crust is golden brown and crisp. Let cool to room temperature.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread! I was inspired to try again with a crust containing butter. This time I made sure everything was super cold. I put the butter and the water in the freezer for a few minutes. I used a food processor and made sure I chilled the dough in the fridge for an hour before rolling--also rolled b/t waxed paper. Finally a butter crust turned out for me! :hurray:

I've baked excellent pies for years (according to all my relatives and my Dh), but always with an oil crust since I had not had success with shortening or butter crusts. Turns out I wasn't keeping the ingredients cold enough (I'm sensing several "I-told-you-so's".)