Menu

Why would a super loud person be sensitive to others' loud noises?

Dh is adhd. He loud, not just loud but LOUD. I live with it, accept it. Our youngest son and his clone is also LOUD.

When the puppy eats out of his pie tin or drops her bone a hundred times it annoys him. LOL

This morning I went back to bed to catch a little more sleep and I had to put the pillow over my head so I couldn't hear him yelling at his video game (he naps often & we have to tip toe around him). It's a good thing he's mostly a keeper.

Anyone else have this issue?

We have the same situation. I just assumed it was because the ADHD component made them less able to contain an overly boisterous voice or speaking constantly. As for the dog dish or whatever, my ADHDers are much more aware of sounds around them, things that fade into the background for most of us, so it irritates them.

My ADHD son has started wearing hearing protector ear muffs for school and likes that. It muffles out the minor sounds in his environment for math or other attention-requiring tasks.

Because he is both sensory seeking AND avoiding. My two youngest are both noise MAKERS, while my son is the one who is both noise maker AND avoider. It makes for some tense times.

Ahh, that makes more sense. I am sensitive to noises myself so these 2 stress ME out. It kind of makes me laugh though when they complain.

I have noticed that people that are adhd have less of a tolerance for others with adhd. My experience is from teen boys staying with me with adhd. Nothing annoys them like another quirky person. LOL

It's pretty common in my experience working with quirky kids. I think of it as a lack of control (not through any "fault" of the child's own per se) - control of both their own filter in making noise and control of their listening to filter others.

Yes. The kicker is that these people also aren't good at seeing themselves clearly. A comment about this issue makes them defensive.

We have the same situation. I just assumed it was because the ADHD component made them less able to contain an overly boisterous voice or speaking constantly. As for the dog dish or whatever, my ADHDers are much more aware of sounds around them, things that fade into the background for most of us, so it irritates them.

My ADHD son has started wearing hearing protector ear muffs for school and likes that. It muffles out the minor sounds in his environment for math or other attention-requiring tasks.

Yeah, I try to keep it quiet and non-distracting during school for my two adhd kids. It's hard when they are the major distractors and also so easily distracted, then dad comes home and doesn't get how distracting it is. I have to laugh, really, or sometimes I would run away. Life is a sitcom. The only laugh track we have is me though laughing crazily in the background. Survival I tell you.

Ahh, that makes more sense. I am sensitive to noises myself so these 2 stress ME out. It kind of makes me laugh though when they complain.

I have noticed that people that are adhd have less of a tolerance for others with adhd. My experience is from teen boys staying with me with adhd. Nothing annoys them like another quirky person. LOL

Yes, you are correct. I take Rx for ADD and there is a small, snarky part of me that wants to tell your dh to just 'get over it'. Nice, huh?

:001_huh:

(Sorry, I know that sound awful, but that is the truth. In all honesty, though, I think that I should just get over it, too. I want to. I just can't SEEM to and I know deep down that neither can your dh.)

....crawling back into my Not A Nice Person HideyHole....

ETA: My DH is deployed atm and there have been times in this past month when I have gone to my room and just CRIED because I feel overwhelmed by the stimuli from a constantly talking 5 year old, trying to remember to pay the bills, crapweranoutofmilkagain, etc. Too much swirling around, too much to focus on all at once and I canNOT stand the constant chatter!!!!!

My boys do this. The oldest was diagnosed w/sensory processing disorders, including auditory.

One of the things we did to stop the loud talking was to have him speak into the microphone of a tape recorder while wearing headphones. You can have the child read, if he reads. Our son wasn't reading yet, so we had him pretend to be a reporter reporting on various topics of his choice (planets, building bridges, etc). It took about 2 weeks and the loud talking stopped. It's lasted until recently, about 10 yrs.

You need an old-fashioned tape recorder and an adapter that allows the child to hear himself in headphones while he is speaking into the microphone. We bought ours at Radio Shack. It took a while for the sales people to understand what we needed so be prepared. Take the tape recorder, w/a tape in it, and the microphone to the store. Then you can test it right in front of them and give it back to them if it doesn't work - before you pay for it.

For the sensitivity to sound, we did Tomatis and SOMONAS. They both helped, especially the Tomatis. He is still tolerates noise well, better than I do. :D

I hope this helps you. It helped us a lot.

Denise

Wow. This sounds just like me. (I talk way too loudly a lot of the time, yet noises drive me crazy.) I've never thought I have ADHD, ADD, or other stuff like that. I always figured that since my voice was projecting outward (away from me), that was why the noise level of my own voice doesn't register as 'too loud' to me. Kwim?

Of course, my mom always said I was born in the wrong century as I would have made a wonderful town crier -- everyone could have heard the news as my voice is loud, clear, and projects very well. :lol: Of course, she's also accused me of having the hearing level of a dog & said I would be much happier going through life if I wore earplugs all the time. :tongue_smilie: