Menu

Stupid pity party over the Kindle Fire

I'm sitting here this morning, feeling sorry for myself. My dh works hard to support us, and money is always tight. But we try to set aside a little tax money for Christmas every year. He offered to get me a Fire as a super amazing present this year (we never spend that much!), but I told him my reasons for not getting one. I had unrealistic hopes of getting an iPad one day. It's bigger. It does more. It's also extremely expensive. So now that everyone is getting their Fires, I am feeling embarrassed that I didn't take his offer more seriously. I think that I will just get a scented candle and some new pot holders. :tongue_smilie: That iPad is looking a looooong way off. I need a spanking for being so selfish. I guess it's time to go do a workout and stop whining lol.

Okay…are ya done whipping yourself? :tongue_smilie:

Teasing, but kinda serious. Why the guilt? because you wanted an iPad? Is that such a terrible thing? If you'd rather have that than the Kindle thing, then save up and get it.. take the Kindle money and keep adding to it for a bit - depending on how long that takes, it might be a Valentines or Easter present instead of Christmas, but you'll have what you really want.

It's very easy to compare ourselves to others, and our desires with what others have. It's also very destructive.

I understand how you feel. But think of it this way: why did you initially choose an iPad? I know you don't already have it but what about it is desirable to you? Does the Kindle Fire offer that? What will you use it for? How much of a screen do you need? What, exactly, are the functions you want on it? (I don't intend for you to answer these questions here. Simply giving them to you for you to ponder to give you insight to YOU. ;) )

You're beating yourself up because other people are getting the kindle fire and you turned it down?

If you didn't want the fire then you didn't want it, no big deal. I was excited to get a phone with a QWERTY keyboard so I could text better, but that was the extent of the want. Everyone else I know has droids and iphones and whatever other smart phones there are. I had a chance to have a smart phone, but I didn't want it, so I didn't get it. I share a kindle with my daughter but only because a family member bought it, didn't like it and passed it to use (everyone else had one). My stepbrother upgraded his ipod, and gave me the old one.

Okay…are ya done whipping yourself? :tongue_smilie:

Teasing, but kinda serious. Why the guilt? because you wanted an iPad? Is that such a terrible thing? If you'd rather have that than the Kindle thing, then save up and get it.. take the Kindle money and keep adding to it for a bit - depending on how long that takes, it might be a Valentines or Easter present instead of Christmas, but you'll have what you really want.

:iagree: Or, if you have changed your mind and the Kindle Fire will do what you want, tell you dh you changed your mind. I am sure the candle and potholders can be returned. ;)

If you can find one in a store (though they might be hard to come by), go play with it. If you find it doesn't compare to the iPad, then don't be sorry. As a PP said, save up for an iPad. If you find you really would want a Fire, tell dh you've changed your mind and you'd love to take him up on his offer of one for Christmas.

I understand why you backed out though. If you settled for a Fire when you really wanted an iPad, then there went money that could have been put towards the latter. Sometimes settling is good, sometimes it isn't. They really are 2 different devices as you probably already know. The Fire is not a full tablet. It falls somewhere between the Nook Color and the iPad.

Oh, and there are rumors of a Fire 2 sometime in the next year - with a bigger screen and more like an iPad. Maybe you'd want to wait and see what that's like.

Thanks, ladies! I honestly feel so much better. What I've been feeling is akin to going to a huge curriculum fair, and seeing people with huge stacks of goodies that I had decided not to use that year, but after seeing them be so popular, had second thoughts about my decision. I have old eyes :tongue_smilie: and I *think* an iPad will work so much better for me. Then again, it may be so darn fancy and have so many bells and whistles that I could never learn how to use them all to full potential. I do need to find a display and play with them...but I have camped out at the iPad website for weeks and weeks, just reading and watching videos. :001_wub: Thanks again for your encouragements!!

:grouphug:

I had a Fire preordered and I had to cancel it (dog with broken leg came first.)

I really am glad I did. Apparently I wouldn't be able to use google at all and I love google and their services.

I am saving up for a refurbished ipad and hoping they have some great deals in the future when the ipad 3 comes out.

Look at it this way. You were very smart, you get to read reviews and make sure you really missed out on the Fire and get it or go for the Ipad someday which is what you want.

Thanks, ladies! I honestly feel so much better. What I've been feeling is akin to going to a huge curriculum fair, and seeing people with huge stacks of goodies that I had decided not to use that year, but after seeing them be so popular, had second thoughts about my decision. I have old eyes :tongue_smilie: and I *think* an iPad will work so much better for me. Then again, it may be so darn fancy and have so many bells and whistles that I could never learn how to use them all to full potential. I do need to find a display and play with them...but I have camped out at the iPad website for weeks and weeks, just reading and watching videos. :001_wub: Thanks again for your encouragements!!

Sam's Club has them on display for touching and playing purposes....:)

• 1 month later...

Don't beat yourself up! You didn't waste your husbands hard earned money on something you wouldn't be happy with. Period. That is commendable. Yes it's hard when those around you are getting all the toys. BUT.. you can save for it. We picked one up as we had some education funds(we get gov't funding as homeschoolers to get curricula and computer or ipad every 3 years) so dd will have one..... However, after playing with it, i want one, and it's seriously NOT in the budget. So I'm going to have to save for it. There isn't any extra money at the best of times.... so it's going to be clipping coupons for or items, and putting away those pennies saved. Might take a year or longer... but so be it. I want it, I'll earn /save it somehow.

You can do it!!! Ask for gift cards from a shop you can buy it from, MIL and FIL are happy to do this for me. That way, it's not cash to be spent on groceries. Look into point program. There are a few that will earn you paypal, or visa gift cards. You can do it!!!

Thanks, ladies. Wow, I really had my whiny britches on back in November. ;) I did go to several stores just to look at displays, and it was fun playing with the different ones...but I am most secure in my decision to wait for an iPad. It's just so beautiful and amazing. It won't be long, now! :)