Menu

How many homeschooling parents were thesmelves homeschooled??

I went to public school myself and don't know anyone who had been homeschooled as a child or teen.

I'm just curious what the "statistics" are for homeschooled kids turning into homeschooling parents themselves.

How many on this board were homeschooled for a partial or total experience?

And for those who have been homeschooled- what do you wish you parents had done differently? Likewise what are you grateful for them for doing?

Thanks!!

Edited by KristenR
DARN typo in the subject line!! Ack- what can I say??? I went to public school. HAHHAHA

I was homeschooled for almost 2 years in 6th and most of 7th, but not at my own home. We were part of a small church group, and the group got together and created a homeschool in one family's home for the K-12 kids in the group. My 3 sisters and I made up almost a third of the class at first, then it slowly grew from there. We moved away toward the end of my 7th grade year and I went back to ps, but I learned a lot about myself and my learning style while in that one-room schoolhouse. I had been an above-average student before the hs experience, but became a top-of-the-class student afterward bc I had learned how to take responsibility for my own learning.

I didn't plan on homeschooling my own kids until just a few years ago, though. DH suggested that I look into it, since I have a master's in elem ed. At first I resisted, then realized what a great option it was, and I'm so glad we've gone this route! I'm still in touch with some of the kids who were in that hs with me, and to my knowledge, none of them is hs'ing their kids except my own sister (whose DH is a SAHD and homeschools their kids).

HTH!

I was homeschooled from 2nd-8th grade (back in the 80's when homeschooling was a bad word!:D) . I am very thankful that my parents had the wisdom & willingness to pull me out of school when I began to hate learning (during 1st grade). I really enjoyed my homeschooling years, but decided I wanted to "go to school" for highschool (basically just to hang out with my friends more, not sure if this was a good choice or not. There were lots of pros & cons so I guess it kind of balances out). Dh was public schooled all the way. We sent our kids to ps for the first couple years, but pulled them out when our oldest was in 3rd grade. We've been homeschooling ever since. Still working out the kinks after 6+ years, but we feel that this is the right choice for our family.

I was one of those kids with major learning interests where summer looked more educational than public school. That was elementary. My schooling for middle school was not homeschooling but it was 3 hours per day, self-paced, and gave me a good glimpse of what homeschooling could be. I didn't live at home, have a teacher, etc. Weird. When I went back to public school in high school, I was not particularly impressed. Then a bright classmate, who was also a gymnast, was pulled out to go back to homeschooling. That was my first aha! moment.

Hubby did home bound for 6th grade. I did it for 6 weeks of my senior year. Those also were a push this direction.

Edited by 2J5M9K

There were a couple of threads about this a few months ago.

My sisters homeschooled and I did the Home Study program through our school district (during high school). One of my sisters homeschooled throughout high school and ended up going to law school. She's currently a defense attorney. My other sister homeschooled for a while and then finished at a private high school. She graduated college with a BSN and she's an Army nurse (like an emergency room nurse). I didn't homeschool traditionally, but some tutor came out to my house twice a week. I basically feel like I didn't learn anything past 9th grade (sorry). In 11th grade, I petitioned the State for a high school diploma, made an appearance before the school board and that was it! I spent 7 years in the Army (everyone in my family is in the army - LOL) and I have a Bachelor of Science in biology.

And, I plan to homeschool my kids through high school. I don't see any reason to put them in ps. Everybody's happy.

I had attended a K through 8 school, but after my 7th grade year they closed the 7th/8th classrooms. My mom wasn't a fan of the local junior high, so I homeschooled for 8th grade and then went on to public high school.

It was boring. I did lots of workbooks. But I didn't mind. My workload was light, so I had tons of time for my true loves: reading and roller skating. :D

I went to public school myself and don't know anyone who had been homeschooled as a child or teen.

I'm just curious what the "statistics" are for homeschooled kids turning into homeschooling parents themselves.

How many on this board were homeschooled for a partial or total experience?

And for those who have been homeschooled- what do you wish you parents had done differently? Likewise what are you grateful for them for doing?

Thanks!!

I started K in the public school in eastern KY in the mid-80's. My parents were not impressed with the academics so they pulled me out and I did 1st and 2nd at home. My mom felt really overwhelmed with it so in 3rd grade they decided to give the public school another try. Things again did not go well. The principal actually told my parents that they, my parents, did a much better job educating us at home than the school was capable of doing. So for the next three years my parents homeschooled me. During my 6th grade year, we moved to MD. My parents enrolled me in a very small Christian school from which I graduated. So I suppose you could say that I had a very well rounded education. :lol:

Things I wish my parents had done differently: My mom has said many times that teaching is just not her thing. She did not enjoy it but felt that at the time it was necessary due to the poor education standards of the local public school. Looking back, I think she did a pretty good job in spite of not enjoying it. I wish she could have been a little more relaxed with it though; we did "school at home". Every morning school started at 8 on the dot. We (my younger brother and I) said our pledges, sang a patriotic song, had prayer and began class at our desk in our little school room. We stayed on a strict schedule and were not allowed to talk out loud without permission. (Needless to say, it was not hard to make the transitions to the public/private classrooms:D). Our classes were traditional using textbooks for everything. I realize that homeschooling has changed A LOT from the 80's; at the time, many people in our church thought we were breaking the law by staying home. Today, I don't agree with their methods of education, but I believe they did the best they could at the time.

Don't get me started on the Christian school though. :tongue_smilie: That experience left a sour taste in my mouth.:angry: I decided my senior year that if I ever had kids they would be homeschooled. I got engaged shortly after graduation and made sure my fiancee was on board with it. (Talk about a deal breaker) He was supportive but I think he may have thought that I was jumping the gun a little. Haha.

Edited by JMDRAD

I went to public school, but my DH was homeschooled K - 12. His parents unschooled him (without being aware of the philosophy in name), and as a result, he's much more interested in a structured, classical format for his own children. He's very skeptical of child-led learning. He was a very bright child who loved to learn, but those qualities couldn't hope to balance out the tendency for children to just give up and thoughtlessly move on to something else when a subject became challenging or required repetitive practice (as with an instrument or language).

I was homeschooled. I've posted about this in the past. Back when my parents were homeschooling (I was born in '81) they didn't have an internet with tons of curriculum to choose from. I was educated with Abeka and Saxon math with some R&S and a little BJU thrown in. My mother pretty much replicated school at home. She handed us a stack of books and expected us to basically teach ourselves because that's what the homeschoolers around her were saying that homeschooled children did. :glare: We had a large family and we didn't get out much. We really were cooped up at home a lot.

It wasn't all bad but those are the basic things I'm doing differently. More interesting varied curriculum with more teaching and interaction from me. More outside activities. Even though homeschooling wasn't the greatest experience for me, I didn't wish I could go to public school, and I've always believed in the potential for homeschooling to be amazing. Possibly because I lived down the street from a family doing KONOS and they always were up to something interesting. :p I'm not sure why my mother didn't look at that and decide to spice things up.

One good thing was that we lived in Texas and were surrounded in homeschoolers.

I was homeschooled K, 3rd, 7th & 8th, then finally 10th-12th. I know kind of crazy. We moved a lot. Those 6 year that I was not hsed were in 5 different schools. My education was all over the place. Looking back my mom wishes she would have stuck with hsing the whole way through, so do I. After all my experiences with private, pulic and hsing I knew that I would hs my children. I learned the most when at home. I saw how I could be the top in the class in schools, and still not truly understand a thing. Plus the social aspect of school is not something I wanted my kids to experience at all!

I was homeschooled a total of 7 years, private school for 5 total years and public school 1 year. We moved frequently and that affected my schooling the most. I did learn valuable things whether I was in school or out, but I do wish I had been pulled back out of school earlier so I could have pursued my music career even earlier. They made me go to private school my senior year so that I'd have a diploma, and it was the biggest waste of time since I only needed 2 classes to graduate. I would have rather gotten a start on college credits.

Oh, I will say that I went to public school for one semester in tenth grade. Because we joined in the middle of the year and it was a small town school (all grades were on the same campus) I didn't get to join a normal PE class. They put me with the coaches running the PE class for first and second graders and told me to help out and that would give me PE credit. (:confused: I know, right?) Anyway, the experience was kind of traumatizing. :p These were little kids and they were swearing at each other and making all kinds of sexual jokes and so on. They lacked the maturity for subtle innuendo so they were pretty explicit. As a fairly sheltered 10th grader, I was kind of freaked out. Much more by these kids than my own peers who said similar things, but at least were teenagers. At the high school I saw people passing cigarettes to each other in the halls, one girl accidentally brought pot to school, one guy offered me acid, and I saw a girl try to arrange to have sex with someone because she had been too long without it. I know these aren't extreme examples of what goes on in schools, but it was eye opening, but it was really the younger kids that got to me. I decided right then that sheltering was a good thing and when I had kids, I didn't want them in public schools, ever. As an adult, I realize that all public schools are not the same... just sharing what I thought back then. :)

ETA: Sorry for the tangent. ;) Just thinking of what lead me to homeschool my children despite homeschooling being less than ideal for me. :)

Edited by Mimm

I was homeschooled the entire way, graduating at 16. There was never any doubt in my mind that I wanted lots of children and I wanted to homeschool them. Honestly, I don't know why someone wouldn't want to homeschool their children- it just makes so much more sense.

There's not a lot I wish my parents had done differently. I wish I had done more college-in-high school but this was before the internet, Google, and easy access to things like CLEP's, etc.

My mom LOVED field trips. She was always organizing huge trips with her friends. I'm sure I learned more that way than through textbooks. As a result, I am always headed somewhere fun- my friends don't get it, but it's just in my blood.

Thinking about it, I homeschool very similarly to the way my mother did, with the addition of some computer schooling and using internet resources, such as this forum.

I was homeschooled from 7-10th grade. I am very grateful that my mom homeschooled me for those grades. I believe that I have a better relationship with my family because of it. I am also glad for all of the things I was able to learn during those few years, academics and other life lessons.

Do I wish she would have done anything differently? Not really. The only thing I can think of is I wish she would have read a book like the WTM and given me a classical education!;) I wish I would have had a classical education my whole school career (K-12). But at the same time the Public school, and a bit of Private School, education I had made me who I am. So I don't know if I would change that. The PS education I had has helped me to appreciate Homeschooling more and has made me more determined about giving my own kids a HS education.