Menu

Pretend...(ipad content)

You want an ereader, apps, etc.

BUT you want a smallish device for taking notes, say during a conference or something. That you can transfer to Word later.

Would an ipad do that? Would the Kindle Fire do that?

I think I've seen that you can get a keyboard to attach to an ipad. What about KF--can those have keyboards? (I realize some of this is hard to answer before KF is released.)

Yes, you could do that with an iPad.

Ok, I really like the Kindle Fire, but I want to know if it would do that one thing. I've only played w/ the ipad once, but I hated it. It was trying to use the keyboard that bugged me, & obviously that would be the same w/ the KF. But...I like the other things the KF can do (which the ipad can, too, obviously, but I'm about as cutting edge as a caveman).

The on-screen keyboard on an iPad (and a Kindle Fire or Nook Color, since their screens are even smaller) definitely isn't like typing on a full-size keyboard and takes some getting used to. You can get a stylus for tablets that allows you to "write" on the touchscreen, so that would be an option for note-taking as well. I've been playing around with the Dragon Dictation voice-to-text app, and though it's interesting, I think it would take so much editing to be useful that it's not practical for doing much beyond lists and brainstorming ideas.

Edited by WordGirl

The on-screen keyboard on an iPad (and a Kindle Fire or Nook Color, since their screens are even smaller) definitely isn't like typing on a full-size keyboard and takes some getting used to. You can get a stylus for tablets that allows you to "write" on the touchscreen, so that would be an option for note-taking as well. I've been playing around with the Dragon Dictation voice-to-text app, and though it's interesting, I think it would take so much editing to be useful that it's not practical for doing much beyond lists and brainstorming ideas.

My husband has a "writing" app for the ipad that works great for him. It converts it to text and he can e-mail it to himself and print it out or whatever. I just use the notes app in my IPad for meetings, etc at the moment. But I would probably buy the plug in folding keyboard if I were secretary and actually taking minutes - or bring a real laptop.

Yeah, but if you write w/ the stylus, that wouldn't really convert to Word, would it?

My husband has a "writing" app for the ipad that works great for him. It converts it to text and he can e-mail it to himself and print it out or whatever. I just use the notes app in my IPad for meetings, etc at the moment. But I would probably buy the plug in folding keyboard if I were secretary and actually taking minutes - or bring a real laptop.

I'm not thinking of meetings where you have a desk & a laptop is practical. I'm thinking times when you're sitting in a place where you have to balance your laptop on your lap--possibly along w/ a book or something, & it gets overwhelming. When you're tempted to use the old-fashioned spiral notebook, but it seems SO pointless to then transfer those notes to your computer. Say you're going to use the notes to create text, newsletter, email, whatever--so you'll actually need them typed, etc.

No bluetooth/external keyboard ability. :sad:

I have moved on to looking at a Galaxy Tab, but it's so much more expensive. If I had the Tab, I could use this for those times when I need a keyboard:

http://www.amazon.com/eWonder-Wireless-Bluetooth-Keyboard-10-Inch/dp/B005F0X6Z6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3134A10FUI8MX&colid=4SEVQM1UKREQ

Edited by Julie in CA

The new split keyboard in ios5 is a little better for typing on the iPad than the old one but still not preferred method. I was using noterize/paper port for writing notes which worked fine but I downloaded notability Friday when it was on sale for 99cents. I love it. I used it to take notes with my stylus in church this morning & it works great. The writing is smooth and you write in a zoomed mode which is Isaac to use and actually turns out looking better than when I write on paper. You can export several different ways so I'm pretty sure you could get it in to a word processor if you needed to.

The iPad is great. You get very accustomed to the keyboard quickly. You type with your left and right pointer fingers and you get really quick. :) Note taking is easy and there is a fold-up portable keyboard if you wanted to get a case that could carry both for you.

I know it's more. I know it's bigger. I also know it's worth it and I love my Kindle. :)

For a meeting where you are taking a few notes, you can use the split keyboard option and just thumb-type on the iPad. Once you're used to it, typing on the touch keyboard is no big deal, but it can take a while to get used to looking at the keyboard to type. You 'could, put the iPad on your lap, and place a detached bluetooth keyboard on top of it to take notes without taking your eyes off the speaker, but I don't know if they make any noise that would disturb anyone sitting next to you.

I use my iPad in my graduate courses (where I have a desk) and meetings at Church (where I usually use my lap) it works well in both environments.

I use Evernote, which is a free note taking app. I can organize my notes into "folders" and it allows me to search them by multiple categories. I can even take a picture of the notes my professor puts on the board and store them into my notes. It's awesome.

I can also print from my iPad, download pdf files and annotate them (stylus or not) and save all my notations. I also have Dropbox on my iPad so I can access files from my home computer.

It's awesome. It makes taking, keeping and using my notes really easy.

I think I sound like a commercial. Oh, how I wish Apple would compensate me for my endorsement.

ETA: I can't compare it to Kindle Fire, but tablet devices are only as good as the apps you put on them. The iPad is so good, only because there are so many apps to customize its use.

Edited by Jana

For a meeting where you are taking a few notes, you can use the split keyboard option and just thumb-type on the iPad. Once you're used to it, typing on the touch keyboard is no big deal, but it can take a while to get used to looking at the keyboard to type. You 'could, put the iPad on your lap, and place a detached bluetooth keyboard on top of it to take notes without taking your eyes off the speaker, but I don't know if they make any noise that would disturb anyone sitting next to you.

Well, ok, the thing is--I don't mean that kind of notes. It was just an example. I mean more for taking notes on books I'm reading, to make study guides & things. I love to keep a book w/ me, but if I just have to retype the notes for it later...it hasn't really saved me any time. Kwim?

So the reason I'd prefer a full keyboard is mainly speed & accuracy. Because, again, making a lot of corrections later renders the activity close to moot--I'm just looking to capture more lost time: waiting in lines, in the car, etc.

I use my iPad in my graduate courses (where I have a desk) and meetings at Church (where I usually use my lap) it works well in both environments.

I use Evernote, which is a free note taking app. I can organize my notes into "folders" and it allows me to search them by multiple categories. I can even take a picture of the notes my professor puts on the board and store them into my notes. It's awesome.

I can also print from my iPad, download pdf files and annotate them (stylus or not) and save all my notations. I also have Dropbox on my iPad so I can access files from my home computer.

I think I sound like a commercial. Oh, how I wish Apple would compensate me for my endorsement.

ETA: I can't compare it to Kindle Fire, but tablet devices are only as good as the apps you put on them. The iPad is so good, only because there are so many apps to customize its use.

I just read this post to my hubby. He asked if this would be my next gadget. I figure if he can be a geek, so can I. ;)

The iPad is great. You get very accustomed to the keyboard quickly. You type with your left and right pointer fingers and you get really quick. :) Note taking is easy and there is a fold-up portable keyboard if you wanted to get a case that could carry both for you.

I know it's more. I know it's bigger. I also know it's worth it and I love my Kindle. :)

Does anyone use Swype on their tablets?

www.swype.com

If you want something that's like a laptop but not a laptop, you could get a Chromebook. You get the instant on of an iPad (Actually my Chromebook boots more quickly than the iPad 1, don't know about the iPad 2.) with the keyboard of a laptop.

We now have an iPad, but the Chromebook still gets more use, likely due to the ease of typing.

Not that you asked, but I also love to Skype or Facetime on my iPad. It has two cameras, one facing the user and the other on the back, facing away from the user.

So the other day, I Skyped my mil in Colorado (cuz I'm good like that) and I took my iPad out on our driveway and she watched the boys play basketball. When I wanted to talk to her, I just switched cameras and talked to her directly, then switched back so she could watch the boys play.

Awesome.

I'm a little late to the conversation here, but as a new ipad owner, I'm still trying to figure things out. Would you mind telling me how you print from your ipad and what you use to download pdf to ipad? TIA!