Menu

Harp and Laurel Wreath vs. Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization

Which program would you suggest for poetry memorization?  

1. 1. Which program would you suggest for poetry memorization?

• The Harp and the Laurel Wreath
    • IEW's Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization
    • Other

I have the book Harp and Laurel but have never used it. I also have the IEW CD's and we use them almost every day. The kids are still on the first set but we are on poem 14 or 15. We listen to them most days in the car. It's just so easy!! I know we wouldn't be getting it done if it wasn't for the cd's. If we go a couple of days without listening the kids actually will ask to listen to the poems!

We use the Harp and Laurel Wreath (I don't have any experience with the other program). The HLW has a really good selection of poems, and it also has some selections that you can use for dictation. My children have enjoyed learning the poems from it. You have to be self-motivated to use it since there is no program that goes along with it.

IEW's program is designed specifically with memorsation in mind - Harp And Laurel is for memorisation, copywork and dictation, and is a more general resource. I have it and never relayl clicked with it. But we use the IEW program every day. The first poems are really fun and a great way to break into poetry memorisation.

Nowadays we skip some, but the kids just memorised Jaberwocky and it was a hoot and they are really proud of themselves. It can really be started at any age (we only started a year or so ago).

BTW we don't use the CD, it's not necessary. He spoke too slowly for me, and I didn't want the kids learning to recite poetry with an American accent anyway, and it's so much easier for me to just read the poems aloud each day, and it makes it a much cheaper proposition.

We use The Harp and Laurel Wreath as well, I don't need a program. I did record the poems for a while but realized my daughter is just not auditory enough for them to be worth it, so the IEW CD would not be worth it for us. I like the selections in HLW and I'm satisfied so I haven't looked further. I think using CDs for poetry really depends if your child is auditory or not, and listening to something in the car just puts my dd to sleep.

I think using CDs for poetry really depends if your child is auditory or not, and listening to something in the car just puts my dd to sleep.

That's a very good point Jessica. I have auditory learners and having something easy that I can just pop in the cd player is a nice convience.

I use The Harp and the Laurel Wreath, but the IEW book and Cd are on my wish list! We really enjoy The Harp and the Laurel Wreath. I also use Favorite Poems Old and New on a regular, almost day to day basis. I think if I were only going to have one of those, I'd get Favorite Poems Old and New.

I have the book Harp and Laurel but have never used it. I also have the IEW CD's and we use them almost every day. The kids are still on the first set but we are on poem 14 or 15. We listen to them most days in the car. It's just so easy!! I know we wouldn't be getting it done if it wasn't for the cd's. If we go a couple of days without listening the kids actually will ask to listen to the poems!

This sounds almost exactly like our house! Except we listen to the cd at breakfast -- my van's so old it doesn't have a cd player.

We have used IEW poetry for a couple of years and have memorized some wonderful poems!! Because it is all laid out and recorded for me it has made poetry memorizing easy and very accessible. Unfortunately, the Harp and Laurel Wreath sits pretty much unused, but I'm glad you reminded me because I am looking for dictation ideas for next year's history studies.

• 1 month later...
.....the Harp and Laurel Wreath sits pretty much unused, but I'm glad you reminded me because I am looking for dictation ideas for next year's history studies.

Mindy,

I was thinking of ordering the Harp and Laurel Wreath to help me glean some dictation samples for ds and his WWE work....would this be an appropriate additional source? I've never seen HLW, so I don't know....

TIA,

We study one poet at a time. We memorize whichever of his poems I choose (usually the most famous), and while they are memorizing, we read other poems of that particular poet daily. I have them memorize the name of the poet with the poem, so that they are familiar with the most famous poets. :)

I have 2 auditory learners and 1 very visual learner. It makes it easy for us to use IEW which we did for 2 years ( I wrote it on the board for my visual learner). This year my oldest dd chose poems she liked as well as my only ds. I photo copied each poem to put in their choices into their own poetry book. These will be the poems they will memorize for the first quarter, once it's memorized, they write each poem(neatly) onto an index card.Then the next quarter they will switch index cards with the other sibling and then memorize the poems their sibling choose :)

For my youngest we are using Harp and Laurel Wreath as well as a sprinkling of poems the other two siblings choose.

We have used IEW poetry for a couple of years and have memorized some wonderful poems!! Because it is all laid out and recorded for me it has made poetry memorizing easy and very accessible. Unfortunately, the Harp and Laurel Wreath sits pretty much unused....

This is our situation as well. However, I did choose "other" on the poll, because I would still recommend both. H&LW is a great resource, and even if you just read aloud some poems every now and again, and you have the shelf space, just get it. IEW's CDs are pricey, but worth the cost, in my mind. Some of the poems I think are silly, and if I had the energy I would put together my own CD of poems we like (because we're also auditory learners at our house), but alas.

We use Harp and Laurel Wreath with lots of Favaorite Poems Old and New. We assign five minutes a day for poetry which HAS to get done to be finiished for the day so it gets picked first.( easiest to hardest rule seems to be the general consensus) but it is hard to just spend five minutes so sneakily I get in at least twice that most days. Mesmerized dc have been known to forget to stop after thirty minutes.:001_smile:

I like the idea of listening to poems. We joined Audible.com last year for our auditory learners and we now have many great classics on audio. I think I will add some poetry collections or make our own CD.

Adding IEW poetry to my wish llist wouldn't help; it is so long already!

I much prefer the variety of selections in LDTPM! I had Harp and Laurel Wreath, and much as I wanted to love it (I have great respect for Berquist), the sameness of the selections (especially for younger children -- it gets better with older ones) really bored me. I gave my copy away.

LDTPM is just so much more lively and varied. I had no interest in having my kids memorize RLS' *entire* Child's Garden of Verses...