Menu

CC.....history and science.....it's not getting done!

cam112198

I feel like a broken record! History and Science is not happening! My dd9, ds6, and dd5 are enrolled in Foundations (Classical Conversations). I had this great idea that I would build on our history and science sentences using the resource list that my director gave me (we are doing American history this year). I have had dd9 reading a SOTW chapter that correlates with the history sentence, but she doesn't like it. For some reason she has never liked SOTW. She complains anytime I pull the book out or turn the audio on.

I'm learning that I really like things planned out for me. I have very little time to pull it together on my own (mostly due to having a dd1 that is constantly climbing on tables or eating anything she can get her hands on). I'm very tempted to try a textbook approach. Living books sounds great, but it's not getting done.

I need some ideas for an independent history and science for a 9-year-old.

How do you guys have enough time in the day to teach 3+ children? If I had my dd9 doing something independent for history and science it would take such a weight off. And then when I got to the good books it would be an added bonus. I just feel like I'm not doing enough with my 4th grader.

Thanks for listening! :001_smile:

Yes, I know this year they seriously pushed to use it as a full curriculum. I suggest pulling out SOTW III Activity book and also the cds. If you don't have the cds... spring for them. They have made SOTW a blast :) Then choose one activity a week to do.... as you listen through the discs in the SOTW then stick the older ones in your car.... Jim Weiss has several really nice cds that are good, and they are great for my 8 year old to listen to... over and over :) Artner American History is a decent guide to use, if you'd rather go that way :)

But, seriously... I love SOTW and I'd just go with it. I'd pull out the WTM and do SOTW with the cd... just the way SWB says :) I love the Kingfisher's Encyclopedia ;)

Then..... for Cycle 1, I'd do SOTW I and Cycle II SOTW II.... I also would have on hand Missionary Biography type books to read, and books about Science :) God's Design for Science is nice, and you could pick one to go along with the cycle.... You can read the younger part, and do the project if you choose... and then have your older read the part for olders :)

You'll be fine... just plot out what you want to have her do.... You're still in control of this year... learning never stops.... CC ends early... and you have the summer!!

Oops... just saw you have the audio. Put it in the car :) Forget having her read it at home. Veritas Press has a decent History program that you might enjoy

I love all of NayfiesMama's ideas (hi there NayfiesMama) and have done and loved those in the past. We also made it real simple. SOTW CD and a coloring page. I tried and finally gave up trying to connect each CC history sentence with a SOTW or encyclopedia chapter. Connections are made and our children are hearing the learning the story of history.

Another idea is to simply have a library basket of books that connect to that week or even that month's CC history sentences. Did your director give you a reading list? If not, you could use the book called All Through the Ages, which is a book of booklists divided by historical periods and geographical areas. Read them aloud, let your kids read them during rest time (oh that time is so important!). My big aha moment for American history was letting my kids watch Liberty's Kids (it's a play now on Netflix). It's excellent, your kids will learn a TON about the Revolutionary War and you can sit back and have a 30-minute break :) Don't break your back to try and cover each week's history sentence. Just keep learning.

My dd did this cycle 3 years ago and I'm shocked this year at her school she still comes up with the dates and info she learned 3 years ago. So, it's all building up in their brains and will be great pegs of info for later on.

As for science, we simply got the Usborne or Kingfisher encyclopedia (for the younger kids) and read some related pages during the week. Nothing too complicated. With CC your kids are already doing an experiment and memorizing. That's great.

I feel like a broken record! History and Science is not happening!

Oh, I understand! I couldn't fit it in for almost two years! :O

My dd9, ds6, and dd5 are enrolled in Foundations (Classical Conversations). I had this great idea that I would build on our history and science sentences using the resource list that my director gave me (we are doing American history this year). I have had dd9 reading a SOTW chapter that correlates with the history sentence, but she doesn't like it. For some reason she has never liked SOTW. She complains anytime I pull the book out or turn the audio on.

My kids dislike the audio too, which is a real bummer for me! I can't help but wonder if she doesn't like SOTW, maybe she's just not interested in history, which I think would be COMPLETELY normal! In that case, switching curriculum would be a waste of time and money. Honestly, I would just keep going with it. Do you try and make it interractive? I give the boys the coloring page (while *I* read from the book, which I'm not going to suggest you do since you have your hands full!) and after we've read the chapter, we discuss it and do the map activity. I try and remind myself that *I* was not interested in a lot of things "school related" when I was a kid. I got straight "A's" but oftentimes learned the material only long enough to test out on it and then it was forgotten. So as far as retention of the material, I try not to put too much stress on myself there... it's still hard ;)

I'm learning that I really like things planned out for me. I have very little time to pull it together on my own (mostly due to having a dd1 that is constantly climbing on tables or eating anything she can get her hands on). I'm very tempted to try a textbook approach. Living books sounds great, but it's not getting done.

I really appreciated scripted lessons. We use textbooks, but I still need to present the new information and concepts. Honestly, I find that with textbooks, I have to do MORE planning (as opposed to WTM curriculum or AAS) because there really aren't any lesson plans. I've learned through experience with DS10 (5th grade) that if I'm just handing him a textbook and not interracting, he's more inclined to speed through the work (get it done correctly), but not retain the information. To me this just becomes "going through the motions of doing school" or "busy work". I guess it would really have more to do with how *your* child would handle that type of schooling, you know?

I need some ideas for an independent history and science for a 9-year-old.

I would be leery about having my kids do these subjects independently (for the reasons described above), but again, your kids might be totally different :)

How do you guys have enough time in the day to teach 3+ children?

I only have 2 and I still struggle with time. Last night I was cleaning the kitchen until almost 9pm. It's not a time management issue either.

If I had my dd9 doing something independent for history and science it would take such a weight off.

I understand.

And then when I got to the good books it would be an added bonus. I just feel like I'm not doing enough with my 4th grader.

(((hugs)))

Thanks for listening! :001_smile:

Something that has helped us immensely was a simple suggestion from a friend. Do science and history first. Since I started doing that, it's getting done! We're still not getting to projects and experiments like I wanted to, but at least we're doing the other stuff! (I have to keep reminding myself of this) I spend about 20 minutes per day or less on these subjects. I read to them and then we discuss. DONE. They dont' *love* it, but I feel SO MUCH BETTER that information is being presented to them and it's being discussed. What they chose to do with it is not within my control. I oftentimes wish there was more they could do independently, but again, I get very leery about where that will lead for my children. I feel that the grammar stage is highly interractive and really needs to be. It's the memorization of facts and information and with my kids, I need to be involved or their work becomes "busy work" or just "going through the motions". If they were passionate about a subject, that would be different, but I honestly don't know a lot of children who are "passionate" about school ;) I do have a friend whose son LOVES, LOVES, LOVES history and cannot get enough of it. Gosh, I wish I had that! LOL THEN, I would be comfortable with independent work. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I feel that kids can't work independently, I just feel that you need to be cautious about this in the grammar years.

You are in a very busy phase of life based on the ages of your children and it looks like you are already out of the house for a full day doing CC. Maybe you could do two days of science for 20 minutes (first thing) and then two days of history for 20 minutes (first thing). Honestly, my boys are in 3rd and 5th and this was the FIRST year I could get these subjects done consistently. It's not easy.

I hope this helps a little! :)

I don't know if this would help you, but I went through and made a list of library books available by week on the different topics and I would be willing to email it to you. It is tailored to my own daughter so it's the Step Into Reading Level 3/4 type books and Let's Read and Find Out books with a FEW harder ones thrown in here and there. I just take it to the library and check out the list for that week. It's been super easy. This might help- although all the books I have separated by week are available in my library system and may or may not be around in yours (though I did pick pretty standard books so they would probably be there).

I've had a lot of trouble trying to keep up with the pace of CC this year. I feel like it goes TOO fast to be a real spine. I'm just settling in to talk about the revolutionary war and then we are off to Lewis and Clark, KWIM? The science has been really easy because we just do a page in the children's encyclopedia and then I printed off those Scholastic Human Body projects and Scholastic Non-fiction Human body reading short books at the beginning of the year and stuck them in file folders with the week on it (got them at the 99 cent scholastic sale and they are great). The human body projects have really been fun and helpful and easy. They are all models of what we are doing but they're made of printable paper (cardstock) and easy to put together. Sparks interest, ten minutes done, and she has something to take to show and tell. They also have a Let's Read and Find Out book for just about every week on the human body, but I don't know if that would be too young for your nine year old. Even if it was the info is relevant.

I am not sure if we will do CC again next year. I have LOVED how much she learns, but I feel like a hamster on a wheel. I'm running but I can never catch up. I want to stop and smell the roses, spend 3 or 4 weeks on the revolutionary war, and not have to threaten my child with losing priviledges just to get her to do her memory work. I kind of think maybe 6 is just a little too young to do this... She says she likes it but she wishes it were just 3 things to learn each week instead of seven, and I agree completely. We may do CC at home next year at a slower pace. Two weeks for each section...

I always used the A Beka 4th grade American History book as my spine, then added the essential history books (Jean Fritz books, D'Aularie books, Justin Morgan Had a Horse, etc.) That wasn't with CC, but I still think it would work. :001_smile:

It really would be plenty to just read the topic in the Kingfisher or Usborne encyclopedias, as a pp said, or even to just read one livign book on the topic each week. A 9 yo will likely come back to American history two more times at least. You can spark an interest now and give a line of "pegs" with the CC work, which will be enough for them to use in the coming years to add info to as they encounter it. Then they will have a more formal study in future years.

I am not sure if we will do CC again next year. I have LOVED how much she learns' date=' but I feel like a hamster on a wheel. I'm running but I can never catch up. I want to stop and smell the roses, spend 3 or 4 weeks on the revolutionary war, and not have to threaten my child with losing priviledges just to get her to do her memory work. I kind of think maybe 6 is just a little too young to do this... She says she likes it but she wishes it were just 3 things to learn each week instead of seven, and I agree completely. We may do CC at home next year at a slower pace. Two weeks for each section...[/quote']

This is the main reason we left CC after just one year. I didn't like feeling the pressure to learn things on their schedule. It all felt rushed and not enjoyable, so we quit after one year, and things are MUCH better this year.

I have kept the idea of the memory work (timeline, history sentences, science sentences, math concepts, spelling rules, grammar definitions, etc.). I have just tailored the memory work to fit with exactly what we are studying at the time. So our timeline this year is just an American history timeline, since that is the time period we are studying. The math concepts are only the math concepts that dd is actually learning or has learned (time, money, skip counting, shapes, etc.).

For the OP, I would use something like this for your spine. It would also be independent for your dd.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-U-S-History/dp/1561896799/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320761045&sr=1-1

Then I would choose a nonfiction or historical fiction book for you dd to read along with your CC subject for history. Assign it to her and then discuss it when she's done. Move on to the next week.

Good luck! :grouphug:

It is difficult to accomplish all of our grand plans when we have little ones under foot! So . . . first, give yourself a little break! It is okay if you feel behind on history and science. Once you figure out what you're going to do, just pick up with what your CC group is studying.

Are you a member of the C3 Community? If so, then you can print out the history highlights. These are one page info pages that provide a nice summary and extra information about each history sentence. After you've finished singing/learning the history song, pull out the history highlight and read it aloud.

I purchased an American history coloring book. I often have my kids color while I read aloud to them.

As you know, CC is focusing on American History. If you don't have a history encyclopedia at home, get one! Take an hour and write write down the pages numbers of the encyclopedia that coordinate to the CC history sentences. (Or maybe you already have that?)

Maybe something like this would be doable (this is a focus on history only):

Monday - CC day

Tuesday - Learn the history song, read the history highlight aloud (from C3). Have your older daughter write the history sentence in her best handwriting. She could also illustrate it!

Wednesday - Sing the history song, read the encyclopedia with your children and enjoy the pictures. Ask your 9 yr. old to retell the information in her own words.

Thursday - Sing the history song, read a couple of picture books together (gather all of your children) or read a chapter from a history book aloud (such as Child’s Story of the World, ABeka 4, SOTW, etc. ) If you do SOTW (even though dd doesn’t like it) you could use this day as a project day. If you don't have the time to spend on history, then set a timer and ask your daughter to spend 20 - 30 minutes reading books that coordinate with the topic of the week.

As for science . . . Grab an illustraded science encyclopedia and read about the topic you are memorizing for the week in CC. You could also go to the library and get a few picture books that your dd can read on her own. If you want a doable science program that has some hands on, but not too much, Answer’s in Genesis publishes “God’s Design Science†that may work well for you. Some classical schools don’t do any science during the elementary years.

Remember: Your kids are memorizing lots of great science information and doing hands on projects/experiments every week. It’s okay to let that be enough during this busy season!

We used Sonlight during most of our Foundations years. I never worried about lining it up exactly, and it went just fine. We started with CC well before CC Connected, and at that time the majority of our CC friends were also using Sonlight. Even with the resources of CC Connected, I probably would still do something like Sonlight. I'm an open-and-go type though.

This year my last one is using Veritas Press' Explorers to 1815. That's been great too, although I don't think I'd use it with only younger children. It really seems best for readers who can do some research to fill out the worksheets. Certainly youngers could tag along though.

Thank you guys for your opinions!!! You guys are awesome!!

Yes, I know this year they seriously pushed to use it as a full curriculum. I suggest pulling out SOTW III Activity book and also the cds. If you don't have the cds... spring for them. They have made SOTW a blast :) Then choose one activity a week to do.... as you listen through the discs in the SOTW then stick the older ones in your car.... Jim Weiss has several really nice cds that are good, and they are great for my 8 year old to listen to... over and over :) Artner American History is a decent guide to use, if you'd rather go that way :)

But, seriously... I love SOTW and I'd just go with it. I'd pull out the WTM and do SOTW with the cd... just the way SWB says :) I love the Kingfisher's Encyclopedia ;)

Then..... for Cycle 1, I'd do SOTW I and Cycle II SOTW II.... I also would have on hand Missionary Biography type books to read, and books about Science :) God's Design for Science is nice, and you could pick one to go along with the cycle.... You can read the younger part, and do the project if you choose... and then have your older read the part for olders :)

You'll be fine... just plot out what you want to have her do.... You're still in control of this year... learning never stops.... CC ends early... and you have the summer!!

Oops... just saw you have the audio. Put it in the car :) Forget having her read it at home. Veritas Press has a decent History program that you might enjoy

Would SOTW Vol. 3 have enough American history in it? It sounds like a great idea! If I only ever used SOTW, would it have enough American history? I do not have the activity guide for volume 3. I do have God's Design for Science and like it a lot. we just don't usually get to it. :-) Thanks for your suggestions!

Have you tried using something like King Fisher History and letting the kids pick something from the synopsis to dig further into? We have done that. We also use Mystery of History as a jumping off point too. We could not stick with SOTW though I know many who love it.

I do have Kingfisher History. I could definitely look up more info on the CC sentences in it.

We use the "break" after week 12 as a time to catch up on all the great resources we haven't had time for weekly. It is nice to use the time to catch our breath and dig deeper into history sentences.

Great idea!

I don't bother to follow the history sentences either. We are doing American history at home but at a much slower pace. It doesn't bother me or the kids that our memory work doesn't sync up with what we are reading at home.

From what I've read, Leigh Bortins thinks learning is more valuable if you hear something a number of different times in different contexts. I don't think the memory work was designed to be a spine for history. It was a relief to me not to have to follow the history sentences in doing history at home....particularly in cycle 1, which REALLY accelerates quickly through history.

I don't bother to follow the history sentences either. We are doing American history at home but at a much slower pace. It doesn't bother me or the kids that our memory work doesn't sync up with what we are reading at home.

From what I've read, Leigh Bortins thinks learning is more valuable if you hear something a number of different times in different contexts. I don't think the memory work was designed to be a spine for history. It was a relief to me not to have to follow the history sentences in doing history at home....particularly in cycle 1, which REALLY accelerates quickly through history.

May I ask what you are you using for American history? :001_smile:

Something that has helped us immensely was a simple suggestion from a friend. Do science and history first. Since I started doing that, it's getting done! We're still not getting to projects and experiments like I wanted to, but at least we're doing the other stuff! (I have to keep reminding myself of this) I spend about 20 minutes per day or less on these subjects. I read to them and then we discuss. DONE. They dont' *love* it, but I feel SO MUCH BETTER that information is being presented to them and it's being discussed. What they chose to do with it is not within my control. I oftentimes wish there was more they could do independently, but again, I get very leery about where that will lead for my children. I feel that the grammar stage is highly interractive and really needs to be. It's the memorization of facts and information and with my kids, I need to be involved or their work becomes "busy work" or just "going through the motions". If they were passionate about a subject, that would be different, but I honestly don't know a lot of children who are "passionate" about school ;) I do have a friend whose son LOVES, LOVES, LOVES history and cannot get enough of it. Gosh, I wish I had that! LOL THEN, I would be comfortable with independent work. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I feel that kids can't work independently, I just feel that you need to be cautious about this in the grammar years.

You are in a very busy phase of life based on the ages of your children and it looks like you are already out of the house for a full day doing CC. Maybe you could do two days of science for 20 minutes (first thing) and then two days of history for 20 minutes (first thing). Honestly, my boys are in 3rd and 5th and this was the FIRST year I could get these subjects done consistently. It's not easy.

I hope this helps a little! :)

Thank you so much for taking all that time to type this out! I do think you're right. I'm thinking she just doesn't like history all that much.

We have been doing our history or science first, because if I don't, it doesn't happen.

This is our third year in CC and this year I am following the cycle as far as doing American History at home. However, I do not try to keep up with the actual history sentence each week. I felt like there is way too much interesting worthwhile info to try to get through in one week! I agree with the pp that said Leigh Bortins seems to indicate they should be exposed to the information over and over and in different ways.

I have driven myself crazy (and my dh) on how to "do" CC at home. I had bought HOD Bigger in the summer thinking I would use that and not care about matching it up at home. Then I got SOTW 3 with the activity guide and have ended up using both. I take my time and I choose to read some from all the spines we have. I did use SOTW as my base for making my own outline for the year. Due to age of dd I chose not to elaborate on all the sentences at the end of year as I don't feel she is ready to hear or understand the topics. I did not get SOTW 4 for this reason. I figured we would cover those topics next time around:) We also get books from the libray but honestly we don't always get to them.

Guest SadieMae

I am a newbie here but I have enjoyed reading everyone's advice and opinions. This is our first (and last) year of CC. Too much of what we actually enjoy simply does not get done. Everything about CC seems way too rushed for us. To put it mildly, we just don't enjoy it. Can hardly wait for the sanity break so we can get something other than CC related stuff done. We originally planned to read Hakim's History of US plus a bunch of Sonlight recommended books. Hasn't happened. So, I definitely feel your pain. Good luck to you.

• 2 months later...

I started to do CC at home because of budget constraints. But I would suggest you look at this blog....

http://halfahundredacrewood.blogspot.com/

I have learned much from her. She has some wonderful suggestions for history, especially with the elementary aged kids....LAP BOOKS. They give the appropriate information and they get to do "craft" and build their lap book. This has been a great website where I get the lap books and the kids are loving history!!!

http://ajourneythroughlearning.com/

For Science after exploring so many, many places, we have been loving

http://eequalsmcq.com/classicsciinfo.htm

There is plenty of experiments with stuff around the house, he covers the main subjects in a very fun way, yet asks the child to challenge their thinking. We have been doing it week by week and the kids love it. Hope all this helps.