Menu

My dad is in the hospital.

Not home yet. He is stable but isn't getting better at this point. If he does go home today or in the next couple of days he will have to go home with oxygen. He's pretty discouraged.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I can understand why he's feeling so discouraged. He wants to go home and feel "normal," and the idea of having to go home with oxygen is probably making him feel like an invalid on his deathbed. Some people are able to roll with the punches in these situations, but it has to be very difficult and scary to know you're getting older and frailer, especially when you've always been active and in good shape.

Not home yet. He is stable but isn't getting better at this point. If he does go home today or in the next couple of days he will have to go home with oxygen. He's pretty discouraged.

do they expect the oxygen to be temporary?

The first time my dad was sent home with oxygen, after pneumonia and progression of his emphysemia (sp?) he wore it for awhile and then stopped. He did fine for years until he got really sick again, much sicker than the time he was sent home on oxygen. That's when he started to wear it consistently.

I say this so you don't freak out, as I did, if your father is sent home with oxygen but he fails to use it regularly.

Do they know why he isn't improving?

He said that they expect that he'll need the oxygen for 2 to 3 weeks.

Basically he's not improving because he's old. His body just takes a lot longer to fight this.

:grouphug: My FIL (87) was in the hospital with pneumonia earlier this year, and it was hard. I'm sorry that your dad is going through this. :grouphug:

Wednesday Update: Dad is home now. He is on oxygen which they've attached to his walker. He's still on antibiotics. He is more upbeat but still is not out of the woods. He seems to be listening to the doctors, though, for which I am very grateful. Thank you so much for the prayers and hugs.

That's definitely positive news!