Menu

Recommendations for inexpensive blackout shades?

My boys have blinds in their room, but they don't block the light, and I'm guessing this is why they're up every day at 6:30, even when they're sleepy. I am looking for really good, but inexpensive, blackout shades that can go behind their levelor blinds. They don't need to look fantastic, but they do need to be sturdy. I was thinking of the old-fashioned roller blinds (I think they were made of PVC?) from when I was a kid, but I don't seem to be able to find them.

Any ideas?

I tuck it between the window and the mini-blinds. The neighbors sometimes leave their porch light on at night and the light hits our bedroom window. I also use it in the summer because this bedroom window faces east. This room gets incredibly warm by 10AM, so I use the car shade.

However, it is hassle putting them up and taking them down.

Claire in NM

I bought the backout "material" at joanns, made a casing and put them up on a tension rod and just hung it behind the pretty curtains in the boys' rooms.

Of course, my boys almost never play in their rooms, so I don't need to be able to move the backout curtain for daylight.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp;jsessionid=E90190F26022563723F6662A1A87E656.a6p1?CATID=cat3217&PRODID=zprd_02117232a - this stuff. it's with the home dec fabrics, on those big roller things.

After going through several of the roll up/down kinds without durability, we got the regular blackout curtains but they have colors. Ours came from Costco and are some kind of suede on the front. One room has Target brand, not quite as nice on the front but also nice and dark.

They did indeed help our kids sleep later by the way. Lots of our neighborhood leaves for work at dawn or before. These are working great at both keeping the light out and somewhat the heat last summer.

After going through several of the roll up/down kinds without durability, we got the regular blackout curtains but they have colors. Ours came from Costco and are some kind of suede on the front. One room has Target brand, not quite as nice on the front but also nice and dark.

They did indeed help our kids sleep later by the way. Lots of our neighborhood leaves for work at dawn or before. These are working great at both keeping the light out and somewhat the heat last summer.

THank you-we have a target near us and I might have time tomorrow to go find some. THey have a wiiiiiide 70 inch window so that might be challenging.

THank you-we have a target near us and I might have time tomorrow to go find some. THey have a wiiiiiide 70 inch window so that might be challenging.

Target has really nice blackout curtains. My dd's window is wide too and we were able to cover the window in 2 panels.

Target has really nice blackout curtains. My dd's window is wide too and we were able to cover the window in 2 panels.

THank you-were they able to fit between the glass and the inside shades? We just installed very nice wooden slat shades but they just don't keep out the light so I want something to go 'in between' the window and the slat shades--obviously something narrow!

Take a nice cardboard box and cut to size. Make sure you leave little cut out places so you can easily insert into the window and pull it out in the morning.

Either paint the box a nice color, so it looks like curtains from the outside. If you want to keep out heat then cover the outside with tinfoil.

... I can say I see this somewhat often in my area. Mind you I do live in a university town. :tongue_smilie:

I bought the curtains from Target and Walmart, $10 or $15 per panel. I know Lowes and Home Depot have the roller shades and I may have seen them at Walmart.

THank you-were they able to fit between the glass and the inside shades? We just installed very nice wooden slat shades but they just don't keep out the light so I want something to go 'in between' the window and the slat shades--obviously something narrow!

I'm sorry, we use curtains instead of blinds. Perhaps if you use a spring curtain rod you'll be able to fit them in-between your window and slat shades.