Menu

Amazon has loaner books for Prime members!

I logged on this morning and on the front page there is a feature where Amazon Prime members can borrow books from Amazon! Right now you can only get one a month (really? I read 5-6 a month) with no due date, but I'm hoping there will eventually be a swap out where you can return the book and get another one. I can see them limiting the number of books (they are in business), but still I'm hoping for more than one. Still, being able to borrow books is awesome. They have best sellers and some new releases available. Yay! Now I just have to think of a reason to get a next generation Kindle. I love that touch screen!

I keep wondering if it's worth it for me to sign up for Amazon Prime or not.

• I also need about 4 books per month.
  • 2-Day Shipping will not be offered internationally, I'm quite sure. :glare:
  • Streaming, etc. will not work here either. Last week, I tried to purchase an exercise DVD and they wouldn't allow me to. :glare: I emailed them and they said they may consider it in the future.

So not sure if 12 books per year are worth it or not. :confused:

I had read about Amazon Prime before and had decided it was not worth it for us. Refresh my memory as to why so many people seem to love it-don't you have to be a frequent Amazon user? I almost never use Amazon, as I can almost always find books cheaper buying used from another homeschooler.

Also, I see this is a streaming, non-real book loan you are talking about. At first I thought you meant real ones. Don't have an e-reader. Wish it was for real books!:glare:

Lakota

Do you know if this works with the ipad or is it a Kindle only version? I have Amazon Prime already. One of the best investments ever!

This is only for actual Kindle devices (including Kindle Fire)—not for the Kindle mobile or desktop app.

One a month seems fair to me as part of Prime; the program isn't intended to meet all your reading needs for the month. There are hundreds of freebies and "cheapies" available for Kindle already. I've bought several of the Kindle Daily Deals, too, and those are only $2 or $3.

Edited by WordGirl

Hmmm.....I am considering a Kindle, but I have an ipad.

I was thinking of a Kindle for using with the boys for their readers. I have all the actual paperback books for our Sonlight core this year but might consider a Kindle for future Sonlight reading.

I am on vacation right now but plan to sit down and price out the next Core's books on Kindle vs. buying the actual books. I assume they won't ALL be available on Kindle and I don't want our cost to go up too much, but what I like is that I can add instantly as needed so the cost isn't all up front.

Questions:

1. I can buy a Kindle book and load it into all my personally owned Kindles can't I? (ie: the ipad app and an actual Kindle so both boys can read separately?_

2. I am a prime member but it is a student version, do I need to upgrade to the paid version to get the free loaner books?

THANK YOU!,

Dawn

Questions:

1. I can buy a Kindle book and load it into all my personally owned Kindles can't I? (ie: the ipad app and an actual Kindle so both boys can read separately?_

Correct. We have Kindles, PCs, and various types of phones registered. The lending library books can only be read on a Kindle device.

2. I am a prime member but it is a student version, do I need to upgrade to the paid version to get the free loaner books?

Hmmm, you might have to call and verify. The page says "paid student membership," but I'm not sure why a paid student membership would even exist anymore.

THANK YOU!,

Dawn

Questions:

Amazon allows up to 6 Kindle devices (phone apps, actual Kindle, etc.) on one account. However, some publishers will only allow their books to be read on up to 5 devices at a time. Not a problem unless you have more than 5 people wanting to read the same book at once on different devices.

THANK YOU!,

Dawn

Yes, unfortunately. Amazon is really pushing Prime (the paid version) in advance of shipping the Kindle Fire. Because of that, many of the new Prime features are only for people who have the paid version.

I keep wondering if it's worth it for me to sign up for Amazon Prime or not.

• I also need about 4 books per month.
  • 2-Day Shipping will not be offered internationally, I'm quite sure. :glare:
  • Streaming, etc. will not work here either. Last week, I tried to purchase an exercise DVD and they wouldn't allow me to. :glare: I emailed them and they said they may consider it in the future.

So not sure if 12 books per year are worth it or not. :confused:

Do you know anyone in the states with a prime membership? If you do, maybe you can sign up under their name. Last year I had prime membership and my parents were signed up under me. This year we swapped. :001_smile:

THANK YOU!,

Dawn

Prime membership is Prime membership, whether you pay the student rate (free for the first year, 1/2 price for the next three years) or full rate. They include the same benefits/services. There is no such thing as an upgrade; you already have the full version. I am in my second year of student membership, and I have access to all of the same things that someone that pays full price has access to...I can borrow a book from Amazon on my Kindle, I have Cloud storage, I can stream videos from Amazon, I have free 2 day shipping, etc. The only difference between a student membership and the regular membership is that when it comes time to renew, I pay half price. :D

Prime membership is Prime membership, whether you pay the student rate (free for the first year, 1/2 price for the next three years) or full rate. They include the same benefits/services. There is no such thing as an upgrade; you already have the full version. I am in my second year of student membership, and I have access to all of the same things that someone that pays full price has access to...I can borrow a book from Amazon on my Kindle, I have Cloud storage, I can stream videos from Amazon, I have free 2 day shipping, etc. The only difference between a student membership and the regular membership is that when it comes time to renew, I pay half price. :D

I wish! During the free period of a student membership, only the free shipping/cheaper rush shipping is included. No video streaming (we tried, and you get a notice that this is not included in your free membership). Haven't tried to borrow a book on the Kindle yet. We have more than one child with a dot-edu address, so we're on our second year of free prime :001_smile:

I wish! During the free period of a student membership, only the free shipping/cheaper rush shipping is included. No video streaming (we tried, and you get a notice that this is not included in your free membership). Haven't tried to borrow a book on the Kindle yet. We have more than one child with a dot-edu address, so we're on our second year of free prime :001_smile:

Whoops! I stand corrected. I hadn't realized that there was a difference between free and paid student prime membership. I thought that it was the same thing (and it was when I started the student membership, Amazon started offering video streaming after I continued with the paid student prime membership). But to my knowledge there isn't a difference between the paid student membership and the regular membership. But I could be wrong there, too! :lol:

Whoops! I stand corrected. I hadn't realized that there was a difference between free and paid student prime membership. I thought that it was the same thing (and it was when I started the student membership, Amazon started offering video streaming after I continued with the paid student prime membership). But to my knowledge there isn't a difference between the paid student membership and the regular membership. But I could be wrong there, too! :lol:

Amazon specifies "paid student membership" for the Kindle Lending Library, so this now sounds about right: no for free first year student members, yes for paid student members.

I saw this thread earlier today, but it was only a few moments ago that I was able to actually go to Amazon and browse.

Ok! I'm a happy woman. There are a lot of books available to borrow. They aren't just unsaleable books. There are some really good ones (and popular ones..and really good, popular ones). I've already borrowed one, and it isn't due back until Dec. 1. It's a series, too, with many of the others in the series also available to borrow.

Since I've subscribed to Amazon Prime for years - just for the free shipping since I buy a lot from there, this is a real added bonus.