Menu

OT: need dinner ideas for cooked chicken.

I am all out of ideas and in a brain fog from lack of sleep (common app stuff) and too much sugar. What can I make with cooked chicken that is fairly quick and easy? Dh cooked up a bunch this weekend, knowing I have a very busy week. But, I hate just reheating it. It is chilly here today so I need something warm, but I am already making soup later in the week, so I don't want to do that. Oh, and no cheese since dh hates it.

This is one of the e-mealz from this week's menu. I've had something similar and it was tasty:

Southwest Batter Bake

4 c cooked rice

½ can pinto beans, w/ some juice

3-4 green onions, diced

1 large tomato, diced

1 can whole kernel corn, drained

1 box cornbread mix

(Egg, milk, salsa, sour cream)

Layer in 13x9: rice, beans, green onions, tomatoes, chicken, corn, then cornbread batter prepared by pkg directions.

Bake at 350 for 25-35 min, until cornbread is done.

Serve with salsa & sour cream if desired.

My go-to dish is creamed chx over toast or biscuits. Saute chopped celery/carrot/onion, also chopped greens if you have them, set aside in a bowl. In the same pan make a white sauce (roux of butter and flour, gradually whisk in milk and let thicken). Heat chx in sauce, add frozen peas or chopped herbs if you like, salt, pepper, maybe a dash of lemon to taste.

Serve over toast or biscuits. Plain and old-fashioned, but quick and delicious. If I've added enough veggies to the sauce, I don't even bother making salad.

Amy