Menu

If you wanted to spend a month at an East Coast beach in the off season...

Where would you go? Where's an affordable spot to get a little cottage or cabin on the beach? Would it weird you out to go alone with two kids? I'm thinking about September of next year. It's more of a fantasy, but DH is (surprisingly) onboard. I'll admit that my phobia of being abducted Criminal Minds-style acts up when I think about being gone for a month without DH, but I'm going to try not to let that stop me :rolleyes:

I would LOVE to go to Cape Cod (one of my very favorite places ever), but I'm thinking the northerly beaches would be uncomfortably chilly. Would the CT/MA beaches be too cold in September? The only beach I've ever been to south of here (NJ) is Corolla at the OBX, and I think we're priced out of there for a month.

What would you recommend? I only need two bedrooms and a kitchen (and Internet), really.

:bigear:

The Cape in September is probably nicer than it is in June, really. We went to Nantucket for a week in early October once, and it was lovely. Hey--I looked it up: average ocean temperature in September in Woods Hole, MA is 68...compared to 72 in August and 63 in June.

ETA: affordable might be another story, though.

Coastal Georgia, especial the Golden Isles, is lovely in September. The rates are lower and you can find some nice deals on month-long rentals, especially on Jekyll Island. It's still rather warm in September but the nights start to turn cooler (below 80) and the days hover between 85 and 90, depending on which end of the month it is. Since most kids are back in school, you'll feel like you have the place to yourself. Fall is my favorite time in the Golden Isles since it's still warm enough to swim but not overly hot. Plus the majority of the tourists are gone so you can get around easier.

If hurricane season is done, then head south. If not, head north.

But, be aware that lots of places really close down in the off season. make sure there are things like grocery stores open etc. DH went to a conference in Virgina Beach in the off season and it was deserted. He couldn't find a restaurant that was open. Gas stations were closed. It was a ghost town. He had an oceanside room but it was cold and dead quiet.

I think the cape is beautiful in September and best of all a lot of the tourists are gone! An extra bonus is that you aren't that far from Boston and all its history. It is also fun to take the ferry out to Martha's Vinyard or Nantucket.

Another place my family likes even better in September is Acadia National Park in Maine. Lots of hiking, biking, wading in the tidal pools and tons of other outdoor activities. Yes the water is cold in the ocean but it didn't stop my kids from going in. The park also has a lot of great ranger led programs going on through the first few weeks of September. My kids have learned so much through them. I'd love to spend the month of September in Acadia rather than the week we can squeeze in now. I know there are plenty of rental places around the park but since we usually camp I am not familiar with where to look.

I don't think it is wierd for you to be out by yourself with the kids for a month. For the last few years I have towed a pop up camper up to Acadia by myself with two kids and a dog. I have found everyone to be pretty receptive and also helpful. I have found myself in a bind a couple of times with the camper and it never fails that some nice guy realizes my plight and comes running to help. We have met some very nice people this way. I say if you have the inclination to go than go for it. It will be a great adventure your kids will never forget. As my Mom would say, you can always go home if you don't like it.

We just got back from a short vacation at Myrtle Beach in SC. We were at a resort where all the outdoor pools were heated to 85 degrees, and it was lovely in the water. We lucked out weatherwise, because the temps were in the 70s, but with the heated pools, it would be pleasant to swim as low as the 60s. LOL, we asked one of the workers there, if people swim in the outdoor pools in winter, and he said they do, as long as the temps are at least in the 40s. That would be a bit too cool for me, but in SC, you have a good shot at decent weather through the end of October, and the weather is again pleasant as early as March, with some nice spells in between.

We used to spend a week in a beach house in Lewes, DE. It was on the beach, and we could walk to a few small things. The waves were slightly smaller at our "house" than at nearby Rehobeth Beach (which had a fun boardwalk - at least in the 80s it did).

We did a house share with another family. The house had a lovely wrap around porch, kitchen with dishes/pots and pans, etc. I don't know if we had to bring linens. Have you looked at VRBO?