Menu

Dh and I are going to Oahu in March!

Oh! I LOVE Hawaii in March. Escaping the winter breakup for some serious sunshine (we are in Anchorage)!

I've only stayed in beach-front and close-to-beach hotels there, but a cabin/condo sounds really nice. Some of the things we did that were fun (besides soaking up TONS of sunshine!) were to visit the international market, go out to Hanauma bay to snorkel with the fish, and to go to a dance show one night at the Polynesian Cultural Center. I think what I enjoyed most, though, was eating real FRESH fruit for breakfast every morning. Yum!

I would love more info....we looked into Bellows, but the online reservations shows no availability for the time we will be there. Are there other military places to look into?

We are at Eielson....outside of North Pole/Fairbanks. It gets so cold up here and winter seems to last forever! I will be so glad to get away for a bit.

I just went to Oahu in May of last year..if I could stay anywhere, I would love to stay in Kailua. I don't know that there are any hotels there, but it was an awesome medium sized town. We went Kayaking there, which was a lot of fun. Eating dinner at Duke's and surfing on Waikiki Beach was great. Boots and Kimo's has very yummy macademia nut pancakes.

I wouldn't stay at Barber's Point because it tends to be away from most of the things that you will want to see. You don't want to waste time driving (traffic is terrible).

I will second the idea that the Hale Koa has deals for people returning from deployment.

There aren't any hotels in Kailua, but there are some B&Bs.

Some of the top things to do in March (you would snorkel and swim at different beaches depending upon the time of year):

Go on a hike: Manoa Falls has a waterfall at the end, the Makapu'u lighthouse hike is one of the easiest, Diamond Head is one of the more challenging

Snorkel Hanauma Bay (be there when they open)

Kayak in Kailua, go to Kailua or Lanikai Beach, eat in Kailua-Maui Tacos, Assagio or Teddy's Burgers

Hit the Dole Plantation on your way to the North Shore, there are lots of shops and good restaurants, go to Waimea or Sunset to check out the surfing, have some chocolate haupia pie from Ted's Bakery

If you want to do a luau, do the one at the Hale Koa. But, they are all sort of tourist-trappish and huge

For a nice evening out make reservations at Chai's Island Bistro inthe Aloha Tower marketplace

Do a sunset catamaran cruise and eat at Hula Grill-have the macadamia nut crab wontons

If you want to see dolphins or whales do the catamaran cruise out of Ko'Olina, they are smaller and more professional (less boozy) than those that go out of Waikiki. This is also a good time of year to do surfing lessons at Barber's Point (in the same area as Ko'Olina) they do them for military only.

we went in sept. with our 6yo.

honolulu traffic is a bear. Most of what we were doing was on the eastside of the island, but we were staying in Ko Olina on the SW side of the island. Very, very nice, but I wouldn't do that again becasue I don't travel to STAY at a resort. (I refuse to ever stay in Waikiki either - way too crowded. I get heavy traffic at home, I don't need to deal with it on vacation).

Hanauma Bay is a must. I loved it. (I have SPD and freak when my face is in the water that way - so that this was my favorite should tell you something!) we only allowed half a day (and ended up with less), and I could have stayed longer. snorklinig with the fish in a sheltered coral lagoon. You can rent snorkling equipment there - even an optical mask. they have good shops on top for tourists, but they were closed when we went back up. mandatory conservation presentation before going down to the lagoon.

Polynesian Cultural Center was great - we also did the evening show which was fabulous. (great place for tourist shopping too.)

We spent did parts of two days at Pearl - for the Missouri and the Arizona. We didn't do the Bowfin (submarine) due to time. absolute must. excellent displays, even my 6yo enjoyed the models, and touring the Missouri. They are opening up a considerable amount of it. the Arizona is free, but it is first come first served for the launch, so get there early. the first day we got there too late and did the Missouri, and the 2nd, we were there fairly early, and had 1 1/2 hr wait. (dh took 3ds back to the Missouri) there is a 20 minute IMAX movie before boarding the launch.

We did a full day at Kualoa Ranch, and I'd take it or leave it. Parts were interesting, learned a few things. I know if we ever go back, I won't go there again. dh enjoyed hanging around in a hammock in the shade with ocean breezes for two hours.

There was a huge botanical garden on the "west side? northside?) of the island i think would have been a better choice. I just remember driving past it the day we drove up the west side and across the north to go to PCC.

Would have liked to get to the punchbowl as my grandfather's brother is buried there, but we didn't make it. did see it from the air as we were flying in . . .

My daughter's friend really likes Dole Plantation, but then she's Hawaiian.

Polynesian Cultural Center was great - we also did the evening show which was fabulous. (great place for tourist shopping too.)

Do NOT shop at the PCC! Go to the Aloha Swap Meet. You will pay 4x as much @ the PCC.

There was a huge botanical garden on the "west side? northside?) of the island i think would have been a better choice. I just remember driving past it the day we drove up the west side and across the north to go to PCC.

There are 2 big botanical gardens. I think you are thinking of the one in Kailua, but Foster's Botanical Garden in Honolulu is *amazing*. I think it is on Vineyard Street.

The temple near Kailua is pretty neat too.

Thank you all for the great ideas! I am still looking for a place to stay. We have reservations at the Hale Koa, but I really want to be outside the city for part of the time we are there. I found Pilillau Army Rec Center, but we can't book there till 4 months out because we are not Army.

I know there are a lot of things that Husband wants to do, I'm just excited to be getting out of the Alaska Interior for a while during winter!

When you make it up to the North Shore, don't go in the water. It's very unsafe.

Do go into Haliewa Town there, ask if you can see the Artis family band.

Do not go to the West side, it can be rough.

Do see Waiminalo Beach, it is one of the most beautiful in the entire world for real.

Waimea Bay is awesome, as is the gardens right there. I'd recommend Jamison's for a bite to eat just up the corner.

Sandy Beach is way cool stuff too (that's where Obama hangs out). Yes on the Arizona & Missouri. Is big experience to stand on the spot where the end of the war was made official.

China Town is skiffy, I'd not go there.

A walk through Waikiki is great on the beach, go to Dukes and have potstickers. Wander into the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and gaze about. Total glamour and beyond.

If you are there on a Friday night and are in the downtown area, go over to the Hawaiian Hilton and watch the fireworks, they are really good.

Use the road that "cuts up the middle" of the island to make time driving around if you are headed up North. There's a food mart up there, grab your goodies and go sit on Sunset Beach. World class sunsets like you've never seen ever, and all sorts of beach people.

Biggest tip: Don't hurry, don't ever honk your horn and slow down and get "island time"- manners go a long way in Oahu. It's not New York by any stretch at all.

Leave your jewelry at home.

Pali Point is a must see. Take bug spray / repellent. Very serious bugs up there.

Pay attention when they say not to leave anything in your rental, they mean it. Lots of rental theft there. Throw something across the driver mirror to blend in a little bit..like a plastic lei or whatever.

My favorite restaurants there are the Coffee Shop (super budget friendly and super super local)-right across the street from the Hilton.

If you can find it....Mariana's Cove is pretty cool. No reservations did a show there, the soup is awesome.

Definitely the drive around the coast is cool, couple of places to pull off to the side and whale watch if you want to and they are "in season". You can see more of them up North though.

If you get to the North Shore, go to the reef and wade in (take dive boots, for real, it's sharp as heck) and see Sharks Cove. You'll be absolutely covered in tropical fish...but there are spiny fish too, so careful!

Thank you all for the great ideas! I am still looking for a place to stay. We have reservations at the Hale Koa, but I really want to be outside the city for part of the time we are there. I found Pilillau Army Rec Center, but we can't book there till 4 months out because we are not Army.

I know there are a lot of things that Husband wants to do, I'm just excited to be getting out of the Alaska Interior for a while during winter!

As someone who grew up on Oahu I would not recommend you stay there. Not trying to scare you, but it tends to be a "locals only" kind of area. We did rent a couple cabins there and they were nice, but then again it was for a family reunion and, well, we're "locals." On top of that the location is rather far from most places you'll want to go so add in a lot of driving. My mom lives out that way and hates the commute.

When you make it up to the North Shore, don't go in the water. It's very unsafe.

This somewhat depends upon the day or the beach. The water is extremely safe in the summer and extremely dangerous in the winter. March is shoulder season, it could go either way.

Do go into Haliewa Town there, ask if you can see the Artis family band.

The band is usually playing during the summer days, but not always in the spring. As I said, there are lots of neat art studios, shops and restaurants in that area.

Do not go to the West side, it can be rough.

White Plains beach usually has lots of military types there, they teach surf lessons there to military and guests. Ko'Olina is fine too, you just do not want to go North of there.

Do see Waiminalo Beach, it is one of the most beautiful in the entire world for real.

I agree.

Waimea Bay is awesome, as is the gardens right there. I'd recommend Jamison's for a bite to eat just up the corner.

Again, the garden at Foster's is better, IMO, but Waimea Falls is where they shot some scenes from Lost. :) Jameson's is a tourist trap, there are far better restaurants in the area.

China Town is skiffy, I'd not go there.

There are fabulous restaurants in Chinatown. If you happen to be there during Chinese New Year, I would highly recommend seeing the celebrations. Chinatown is fine during the day.

A walk through Waikiki is great on the beach, go to Dukes and have potstickers. Wander into the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and gaze about. Total glamour and beyond.

I think Hula Grill is better than Duke's, but that is just my opinion. You can usually make beach view reservations for Hula Grill the day before. :)

If you get to the North Shore, go to the reef and wade in (take dive boots, for real, it's sharp as heck) and see Sharks Cove. You'll be absolutely covered in tropical fish...but there are spiny fish too, so careful!

Shark's Cove is a summer-only snorkel spot. It was one of our favorites, bit don't even try it if the water is rough.

As someone who grew up on Oahu I would not recommend you stay there. Not trying to scare you, but it tends to be a "locals only" kind of area. We did rent a couple cabins there and they were nice, but then again it was for a family reunion and, well, we're "locals." On top of that the location is rather far from most places you'll want to go so add in a lot of driving. My mom lives out that way and hates the commute.

I agree.

Edited by Mrs Mungo